Lounge Doctor

Hand Middle metacarpal pain and swelling

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
I have arthritis in my middle metacarpal joint. My surgeon thought I had trigger finger problems so I had that surgery two months ago on the second and third tendons. I'm healed from that, but I have the same problem that I had before the surgery, but worse.

Have any of you had the middle metacarpal joint replaced? If so, how was your outcome? I don't want to end up in worse shape than I am now. I can hardly do anything as it is!

Jockette

Country
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I hope others will chime in for you. Which hand is it? I know we use them both all the time, but are you right handed and is it that one?

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
Yes, it is my primary hand, the right one. As long as I don't use it much it's not too bad. But, how do you limit activity when you have so many things to do? It's so frustrating.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
I'm so sorry you are having so much pain with your hand. We don't realize how much hands and fingers are used until there is a problem. Has your surgeon suggested this surgery for you?

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
I had trigger finger surgery on my middle and ring finger but am now worse than I was before the surgery. I have developed more lumps under the skin on my palm. I had a couple before the surgery but more now. These lumps and very tender and restrict me from gripping. I'm still in a brace, especially at night. Have any of you had this experience? I'm taking therapy to try and help with my continued pain. I see my surgeon on the 19th but I don't know if I trust him anymore.

Jockette

Country
I’m so sorry. :console2: Is it too early for a second opinion?

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
After 6 PT visits my hand is more limber and the swelling is down, but the pain is still there. The therapist said she suggests I get a second opinion, that she has done all she can do. She thinks I have a failed trigger finger surgery. My new appointment is Dec. 1st. I pray something can be done.

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
My original surgeon report says that I have Dupuytren's Contraction Disease. My nodules are increasing as is the pain. Do any of you have experience with this? I see the second opinion surgeon on Dec. 1.

Pumpkin

Country
Dupuytren's Contraction Disease
It is a contracture of the ligaments on the palmer side of you hand. Options are surgical lengthening of the tendon(s), Xiaflex one of the medications, and PT may help if caught early.
The hand surgeon you select will go over all the options,

Good luck on the 1st.

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
Thanks, Pumpkin. I have taken PT and she told me to stop until I see this second doctor. I continue to do my stretches many times a day and wear the splint at night. I think I can handle the contractions for a while yet, it is the pain that's so debilitating.

OP
OP
sistersinhim

sistersinhim

Country
My 2nd. opinion doctor confirmed that Dupuytren's but said that pain isn't coming from that, it's from arthritis in the metacarpal joint that I've had for a while. He gave me an injection, which I'm praying will ease my pain.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
lit1066
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom