THR Mid lateral thigh pain during weight bearing

Veloflute

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip replaced 2 1/2 months ago. I had been doing fine but have been stuck the last 6 weeks where I'm at now and it's as follows:

When I get up to walk after sitting i get a kind of sharp pain in my mid thigh a little laterally to the outside. It's definitely the thigh and not along the outside of my thigh. This has been going on for 6 weeks and hasn't changed. It feels better after I walk on it a bit (maybe 20-30 steps) but it's still there a little. I wouldn't worry so much except this initial pain when I get up to walk has not changed AT ALL. It hasn't gotten any better over 6 weeks.

My other issue is that my left leg is now we'll over an inch longer than my right leg. I cannot walk normally unless I put a 1 inch lift in right shoe. I've had people measure my legs (PT's) and they all say that my leg is over an inch longer.

Before surgery I could walk ok, but I couldn't ride my bicycle 20 minutes without it hurting and I couldn't ride my horse without it hurting. Now I can ride my bike am horse without pain but I cannot walk long distances. I can walk functional distances but I can't go hiking at this point because of the leg length issues and the thigh pain. On the plus side my hip range of motion is better than it's been in 20 years.

So what could cause mid thigh pain with weight bearing?

You are at a time scale as myself, I’m just starting to walk without the aid of my elbow crutch and with it comes some expected aches, niggles and slight pain.
I’m not ready for any real exercises, knowing not to overdo too soon, painful, uncomfortable workouts.
BoneSmart recommend slowly easy easy in order for all your surgery to repair and to expect some setbacks as well as progress.
Good luck and keep posting.

@Veloflute I had the same problem after my LTHR in 2014. It was debilitating for many months. My surgeon also made me too long on that side. It was always awkward to walk. I began to compensate for the pain by walking differently, kind of throwing my pelvis forward when I walked. I still have thigh pain in my left leg to this day, but it is tolerable now. I had my right hip replaced a couple of months ago. My new surgeon evened me up and I am now walking much better. They never could tell me what was causing the pain. My new surgeon thinks it is an IT band issue from my leg being too long after my first THR. I am going to PT for it and hope it will subside. I’ve been dealing with it for 7 years. :shrug:

Well, at least you had the other hip done and your legs are now even. I already had my right hip done 8 years ago so I can't do that. Your issues sound a lot like mine. I'm not certain it's my IT band but that is a possibility. I'm going typ PT now and hopefully that will help.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Wondering if you’d please share the exact date of your Left THR, your Right also, so we can create a signature for you. It makes it easier for those that stop by to respond to see your surgery date letting them know how far along you are in recovery.

I noticed a “sensation” mid-thigh for quite sometime after my THR. I guess I couldn’t describe mine as pain though. I brought it up to the OS, but he blew it off. I also noticed it if I was sitting on my sofa with legs outstretched resting on coffee table. It eventually went away, but as I mentioned, I couldn’t describe it as pain, as you have. Consider checking in with your surgeons office and I‘m sure a member of his / her care team will offer you some reassurance.
I hope your week is a good one!
@Veloflute

Hi @Veloflute, it is some time since you posted and I wondered if your thigh pain eventually went away? I too am at nearly 3 months and although I was doing well I have had mid thigh pain now for several weeks which doesn't seem to go away. I got it checked out in the sense that they did blood tests for infection but not scans and dismissed it as kind of normal. But sometimes when I have been standing for a while I'll get a real shooting pain in my thigh and the rest of the time it just aches. I am hoping it will eventually go away. (Also operated leg now longer than the other).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks