Bilateral TKR Metal poisoning with Knee replacements

NancyAK

Country
United States United States
I had bilateral Zimmer knee replacements in Oct. 08 (not sure of real name of them but it is the female version). My friend was recently diagnosed with cobalt poisoning with his hip replacement. I was wondering if anyone had heard of getting metal poisoning from knee replacements. I have been having some unexplained health problems plus my left knee has bothered me off and on since my knees were done so was wondering if it could be a metal issue.

Thank you in advance for any information.
NancyAK
TKR 10/2008

Hello @NancyAK - It's good to see you back, but not good to hear you have some problems.

Can you please tell us the date you had your bilateral TKRs and I'll put it in your signature? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I'm goign to ask @Josephine to advise you.

Meanwhile, I think the first thing you could do is have a blood test, to see if you are sensitive to any metals that could be in your TKRs.

For anyone who would like to get a full metal allergy test prior to any joint replacement surgery, you can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel . You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing.

We do have this article about metallosis. Although much of it concerns metal on metal hip replacements, there is a list of symptoms that might indicate you are affected by an allergy to some metals.
Metallosis: what is it?

The test Celle mentioned is the definitive one for metal allergies. It is much more accurate and comprehensive than any of the skin tests. So if you are willing to pay for it (it's about $500 and insurance many times doesn't cover it), you can order it yourself, have the blood drawn at your GP's lab and you will have a good idea whether any of the things you're experiencing might be related to metal sensitivity.

Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing.
But, I learned by experience, that you have to have a doctor's order for the lap work to be done or they won't do it. I bought the kit and found a nurse to do it, but my doctors wouldn't order the lab work to be done. Thank God, the lab refunded me the full price for the kit. Make sure your doctor will order the lab work done before you buy it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom