THR Metal & Cement

Back at you! :wink:

Enjoy, Harry! I'm sure many others are like me and appreciate your kind and encouraging words on this site. You definitely deserve to enjoy the wonderful benefits from this surgery. Looked like a nice peaceful and beautiful area for your bike ride!

Hi Harry,

So, I have a friend, 65, who just had his first THR. Anterior approach. Great recovery, overdid it a bit, but at seven weeks is doing very well.

Except ... except ...he continues to ride, long and fast. He has fallen many times before, and been in at least one car related impact which required bolts and brackets on his pelvis (he got lucky as they were just able to fit the acetabular cup next to the bolts).

He sees nothing wrong with his riding ... I point out that a repair related to a fall will be far less satisfactory as he ages. He doesn’t care and says he’s going to ride.

Another friend, 64, just had TKR ... and plans to ride with a group in the hills of France. Next year he is planning a third world country bike tour. He, too, has a different perspective than I.

Think about the future, Young Man!

Thanks for your input and concern.

I am thinking about the future. This Sunday is the Fast One mountain bike race, and I want to do the 40 km distance. In October is the Amashova 100km road race from Pietermartzburg to Durban. And in March is the iconic 109km Cape Town cycle tour, which is the biggest timed cycle race in the world (38 000) cyclists. (I have done it 8 times).

Flippant response aside, I do think you have a good point, and I am actually very worried about a fall. So I have remediated my cycling in the following respects:

1. During the week all of my cycling is limited to my indoor trainer. The same goes for wet or really cold weather.

2. When mountain biking I only do very easy trails, nothing technical, and I walk over anything I deem too risky.

3. When on the road, I now *always* have a follow vehicle behind my friends and I. we keep our bunch small, and go out very early to avoid traffic. I do what I can to stay safe.

So yes. I am scared of a fall, but am just not prepared to give up cycling. Its a huge part of my life. It gives me joy and its where I bond and engage with my friends. The social aspect is as important as the riding itself.

I had the op to return to normalcy. For me that is not sitting on the couch. My surgeon advised against running or playing squash, and I have heeded that. But I understand your friends attitude. To cycle is to live!

Hey I appreciate your journey. Cycling is a lifeblood and possibly the best exercise for hip replacement IMO. Crashing of course is another issue, and a bike crashed caused me to tear my labrum and end up having THR probably 2 years early (OA). Im 5 weeks post op and have started riding gravel trails outdoors this past week. I switched to flat pedals after reading about other MTB's with THR using for better exist on crashes. Plus flats are the rage this year! I will be investing in hip padded bike shorts to spread impact when I go back to the singletrack. Keep on riding bro.

Hey I appreciate your journey. Cycling is a lifeblood and possibly the best exercise for hip replacement IMO. Crashing of course is another issue, and a bike crashed caused me to tear my labrum and end up having THR probably 2 years early (OA). Im 5 weeks post op and have started riding gravel trails outdoors this past week. I switched to flat pedals after reading about other MTB's with THR using for better exist on crashes. Plus flats are the rage this year! I will be investing in hip padded bike shorts to spread impact when I go back to the singletrack. Keep on riding bro.

Wishing you best of luck with your recovery, keep the rubber side down and you will be fine.

I was thinking about flats for the mountain bike, but they are just not for me.

I am a very slow rider, and not accomplished- i just do it for fun and to try keep fit, but I suck. Everyone else is faster than me. But I couldn’t care.

I have only come off the bike twice, but both events put me in the hospital. once in 2007, when i broke my collar bone, and once in 2012, when I T boned a little car that turned in front of my bunch. Got 6 hip fractures, but they were not displaced, so I recovered quickly without any surgery.Still, I kinda wonder how much if at all it affected my OA, as I became symptomatic about 3 years later.

I have only replaced one hip so far,and the other is ok for now, but I am not relishing the prospect of having to go through the ordeal of surgery again. Who would?? It was all so traumatic looking back on it. The worst was the bottle that they attach to you, and the red yuck that is on the inside of you drains into it, and you realize that you are the sum total of the protoplasm now in that bottle, except of for the new titanium piece that goes ping every time you wanna get on a plane.

Anyway, as far as disjointed posts go, this one takes the cake I guess.

Anyway, Why don’t you tell me all about your bikes and the cycling routes and trails that you do.

@Harryn1 I ride mostly crushed gravel on rolling hills in Northern IL with a weekly MTB ride at South Palos singletrack. I've been all over the USA riding trails in the past. I use STRAVA for the community and tracking. Its helped me find riding partners in my area around the same skill as me. I currently ride a 2014 Giant Anthem X 29er with 2.35 tires that I think is my favorite bike of all times. I also have a 2018 carbon BXT 29er hardtail that ive set up with cross tires for ripping the gravel. On the shelf for now is my Trek Superfly until Im ready for the singletrack. My usual rides are 15-30 miles depending on day. How are your rides going. I see you have a Tallboy? An excellent weapon!

733363CC-8A02-4DFD-B76B-FA6A78224477.jpeg
@Harryn1 I ride mostly crushed gravel on rolling hills in Northern IL with a weekly MTB ride at South Palos singletrack. I've been all over the USA riding trails in the past. I use STRAVA for the community and tracking. Its helped me find riding partners in my area around the same skill as me. I currently ride a 2014 Giant Anthem X 29er with 2.35 tires that I think is my favorite bike of all times. I also have a 2018 carbon BXT 29er hardtail that ive set up with cross tires for ripping the gravel. On the shelf for now is my Trek Superfly until Im ready for the singletrack. My usual rides are 15-30 miles depending on day. How are your rides going. I see you have a Tallboy? An excellent weapon!

@Corey W , thank you. My rides are going swimmingly well, and I am enjoying them st the moment. This morning I did a 60km road ride with my mates followed by awesome coffee as usual. Its been my first road ride in a while and was good to be back.

It being winter, I am spending quite a lot of time on my Wahoo Kikr on Zwift, and I love it. Doing about 3 or 4 rides afterwork of between 1to 1.5 hours. I crank up the music, and its a symphony on wheels.

My bikes:

Basso Astra road bike, with Campagnolo super record. Love of my life;

Trek Tct road bike - I rarely take this one out, but its permantly mounted on my trainer so it still gets a lot of love. I fully restored it after my 2007 crash, and am emotionally involved with this bike.

Specialized dual suspension camber expert 29er MTB. Beauty personified, I enjoy every minute.

Trek 3700 entry level 26er. It hangs in my garage, but I plan to get a tubeless setup for t and to put it back into service as a commuter.

Fuji Forza, hybrid bike, which I did my first 947 cycle challenge on (google it). But soon I realized that I was miss sold this bike as it is just uncomfortable. It has 172.5 mm cranks, and i am tall, so I need 175mm. The MTB bar is not wide enough for me. I could rectify all this-and make it a gravel bike. And maybe I will

I wanted an ebike during my recovery, but I am over that. It would have been that or a divorce so I chose marital bliss!

Just added these donelly LAS tires to my hardtail carbon 29er...bars are 760 mm wide and risers. Gravel ripper!

Attachments

• IMG_5389.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 221
Hi Guys

Yesterday, I tried to log on to do this post on the 2nd anni of my RTHR. But, the server was down for maintenance, reminiscent of own state 2 years ago when I was also similarly down for the installation of replacements parts. It was an appropriate non encounter with the forum.

anyway, my 2 year report is comfortingly boring. I am well, happy and pain free and feel truly healed. Fortuitously, even my left hip has become totally asymptomatic, and has not given me a twinge of pain for many months.

Have I reached the stage where I am unaware of my prosthetic hip? No. There are still things i cannot and do not do. Like squats & lunges. i am always mindful and careful not to fall. But i can walk and cycle for ages. And I do.

I spent the lockdown riding indoors almost daily, and am now venturing out (duly masked) on beautiful lone outdoor rides.

These are scary, surreal and dystopian times, and I feel for everyone who has had to postpone their procedures, or risk infection seeking care pre or post op.

may you all stay well and out of the path of the dreaded virus!

Great to hear you're doing so well @Harryn1 . It made me realize I forgot to celebrate the 3rd anni of my first in April! Other things on my mind at the time!

I've never been much of a cyclist but can imagine that getting outside in the fresh air and seeing the scenery is much better than even the programs you can get. I know I prefer a walk in the park to one on the treadmill (if I even had access to one at this point).

Keep that other hip healthy and keep on enjoying life!

Hi @Harryn1
Happy Belated 2nd Hipversary:happydance::happydance:
Yes, strange times but like you, maybe somewhat more cautious...but ever grateful for a life hip pain free.

Stay safe and stay happy.
Onward.

Happy Two Year Anniversary! Thanks for updating and letting us know how well you’re doing. I’m happy for you!

These are scary, surreal and dystopian times,
Most will agree.
Keep safe out there and stay well. It was really nice to hear from you! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom