Metal Allergy Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerlylli

I have a problem with metal jewelry i.e. nickel free, sterling silver etc... They make my ears hurt when wearing earrings or any kind of jewelry. When the metal meets my skin it just turns color like black or something.:scratch:

I have to wear Titanium eye frames because if I used other metals they would turn colors and leave my skin green, sore and bumpy.:scratch:

I went last week (October 3, 5 and 7th) to see a Dermatologist for metal testing. He did the test and it showed nothing.:scratch: I then asked why is it when I wear metal jewelry that I get a bad reaction to the metal. He is puzzled?:scratch: He then proceed to tell me he wants to see how I react so, I have to wear metal jewelry for three days this week and come back on October 13th. This is the kicker. He told me the allergy test I just took was expired in DECEMBER 2010.:hate-shocked: I was shocked when he first told me and now that I had time to think about it I am furious.:hissyfit:

My surgery is scheduled for October 24th but, if I have to go through another allergy test it will be the week before my surgery. My surgeon's office needs time to order me the right kind of prothesis for my RTKR. Don't get me wrong I want to know if I am allergic to metal before I get my RTKR but, I am upset at the dermatologist and his staff for not checking for the expiration date.:hissyfit:

My family has already requested off for my surgery and my follow-up appointment with the surgeon. The jobs they work it is not easy for them to get days off or switch days with someone else.:scratch: I can drive myself to the hospital but obviously I can't drive myself back home after I am discharged from the hospital.

I hope and pray everything works out.:yes 4: I know everything happens for a reason but, this could have been avoided if the dermatologist and his staff had checked their supplys in the first place.:hissyfit:

Thanks for letting me vent:yes 4:.

Well, I'm certainly in YOUR corner with that sloppy dermatologist and staff. I sincerely hope you didn't have to PAY for an outdated test. It would seem to me that, since they made this error, they would get you in for a new test right away. I'd call and insist on it. Trying to wear metal for three days is silly when they could just repeat the test with a current test packet.

The other issue, though.....are you going to trust the results from this doctor's test? It is VERY important that you have it right before surgery. Changing dates for you and your family is a pain, but you really do NOT want to risk having an allergy to your prosthesis.

I have a friend who has a nickel allergy and she is waiting for knee replacement surgery also. Her OD told her that if the nickel allergy is mild - ie just irritation of the skin from contact with nickel then the usual hard ware for knee and hip replacements is OK. However if a patient has a more severe allergy (ie a systemic reaction as well as a local reaction) then they do need the special hardware that does not contain nickel. In your case I would say be extra sure that you get a properly done allergy test!!! As Jamie said having your family change their schedules will be much less of a hassle than having a chunk of metal you're allergic to put into your knee!!!! Sending you hugs and prayers that you will get the straight information ASAP!

Deb's is totally right. But get another test and put your mind at rest.

Update: I called my Dermatologist office Monday, October 10th to schedule the new allergy test and they wanted to wait until Thursday, October 13th. I said NO that I wanted to be tested NOW.:hissyfit: They said we don't have the allergy patches in yet so, I said make me an appointment for Wednesday, October 12th, Friday, October 14th and Monday, October 17th:yes 4:. I had an appointment scheduled for the Thursday, October 13th to let the doctor see my metal earrings turn. Well, I see the same doctor on Friday and told them to cancel that appointment for Thursday. Guess what? The automative service called about an hour ago to confirm my appointment for Thursday anyway so, I guess I will have to give them a piece of my mind tomorrow.:hissyfit::hate-shocked:

They are not going to charge me for the new allergy test. I am going to remind them of that tomorrow. They don't take into consideration for gas for my car since, they are in another town:scratch:. What do they think that money grows on trees?:rolleyespink:

I will keep you guys informed and thanks for responding to my thread:thumb:.

Hang in there!!! I'm glad to see you are being assertive with these folks. I agree that it's a good idea to level with the doctor about what has happened. Let us know how things go.

I have metal allergies too. OS called a Stryker rep, and he/she brought the surgeon a disc of the material to be used. They taped it just to the side of the kneecap. I wore it a few days.No reaction. They said to keep wearing it. Only reaction I had was to the bandaid. All this occured just up to surgery and everything was find in that regard.

Hope things turn out for you and your allergy test!

I am sorry you have to go through hoops to get your testing done, I can feel your frustration, but hang in there. Hope everything turns out just fine for you.

Well, I went back to the Dermatologist today and had them remove the test patches. The doctor said I had no reaction and it looks like I'm not allergic to Nickel, Chromium or Cobalt. I told him the only glass frames I can wear are Titanium:thumb:. He looked at me like a deer in head lights:th_heehee:.

I have to go back Monday the 17th for the final word. He still couldn't tell me why I can't wear cheap jewerly or Sterling Silver earrings or metal watches. I have three holes in each ear and they were all filled with Sterling Silver - Guess what?:hate-shocked: they turned on me and the doctor saw the results and did not have an answer for me.

Hey, maybe I'm some sort of freak of nature:what: I don't understand it but, hey it is what it is:scratch:. I guess I will have to accept that I can't wear metal earrings or watches :cry:. I probably couldn't even do plastic - just my luck:DOH:. I'm just in the Twilight Zone :rolleyespink:.

But the best thing is that my TKR should be just fine knock on wood and hoping and praying:thumb:.

Back when I had my worry time about being allergic, I was told a lot of people are allergic to metals. It's not that uncommon. And gold and other finer metals have nickel in them but are coated, with gold. Gold that we normally wear is not 100% gold. Severely allergic folks have to go with other stuff like platinum, but is too soft a metal to use for everyday things like earrings etc. Plus it's pricey.

Hope things continue to work out for you. But if it helps you in any way to to feel better, I have not had any allergic problems with my implants.

You know, a lot of those skin reactions are actually due to the interaction of the metal with the body's acidic sweat which makes the skin react. It's not quite the same as having an out and out allergy.

Well, I went back to the Dermatologist for the third and final day for my allergy test results. The only thing they could find on my back is a scratch mark were the surgical tape was applied over the patches. Surgical tape eats me alive:hate-shocked:! I told them that before I cut my nails I caught myself scratching my back because, it was itching. They said to check my back in a day or two if I have any raised or red squares on my back to come back immediately:scratch:. They gave me a letter saying I was not allergic to nickel, cobalt and potassium chrominate (sp):what: I took the letter straight to my OS office and gave it to the surgery scheduler. I hope and pray the Dermatologist for sure know their stuff.:skeptical:

Good for you!!!! Onward and upward!

If it helps, my mom has a really bad reaction to earrings & can't wear them anymore and had zero problems with her TKR.

I also have horrible allergies to all types of metal and cannot wear any earrings! But, I have not had any reaction to my knee implants!
:yahoo:

I also have a latex allergy, and an allergy to several medications. But the implant has never bothered me as far as an allergy is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie