BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Met with a different surgeon yesterday

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by NMRJS, Jun 13, 2018.

1. NMRJS

NMRJS new member

United States United States
    So after my surgery was cancelled due to mild anemia, the surgeon I was working with is no longer doing patient care. They say there was some kind of emergency. So, I met with a new guy and he tells me that my case is too complicated to go ahead with the anterior approach so he wants to do posterior. I can't get my blood drawn for the hematocrit level until the end of June so I have time to research this different approach. I have to be very honest here, I had done a lot of reading about the anterior and really wanted that. It sounded great! Especially because I have 3 young children and I wanted that shorter recovery time, plus the ability to bend and move however I wanted post-op. This particular surgeon is very young, 1.5 years past his fellowship, so perhaps lack of experience is making him shy away from anterior. The previous surgeon who suggested anterior had been practicing for 10 years. I feel like I really want the anterior but am concerned now because he said my anatomy makes this too complicated. I had dislocated hips and they were repaired at age 3 and 4. A lot later than most young children with dysplasia. He said he'd be too concerned about possible fracture. Has anyone else gone through this? 2 Drs. with 2 very different opinions?

2. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

@NMRJS I can't help you on the 2 surgeons/2 opinions question (although that doesn't surprise me in the least), but I had a very good experience with posterior (although mine was minimally invasive, not the traditional - that's a question you'll want to ask). My surgeon does both approaches, but after speaking with him I decided to go with the posterior and have not regretted it in the least. I was walking without aids at 2.5 weeks and had a very boring uncomplicated recovery without formal PT. I did have the precautions for 6 weeks, but it really wasn't that big of a deal. Just because they say you can bend and move any way that you want after anterior doesn't mean that your newly replaced hip will actually let you do that anyway!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @NMRJS A lot of the information out there on anterior approach is just marketing hype. It is not necessarily a shorter recovery time and in many cases surgeons are no longer imposing any restrictions post posterior.

If your surgeon can access the joint better using posterior then certainly you would want him to use this - especially if your surgery may be a bit more complicated. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and do ask if any restrictions will be imposed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bone-obo

Bone-obo senior

Totally right. If you read some of the diaries here, you'll find both great and crappy outcomes for almost any approach you can name. To me, the biggest things are 1) find a surgeon who's done a lot of replacements on hips like yours ("too complex" may be a flag to get other opinions), and 2) then trust them to do the surgery the best way they know how. Mine offered anterior (assuming that's what I wanted), but when I told him it was up to him, he went in posterior, and I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    I have bilateral hip dysplasia. And while I was not offered an anterior, as only 6 surgeons in this county do it, my surgeon wanted to do a 'superpath' but told me he could not, because my anatomy is too screwed up.
    You hear all the lovely stories about a quick recovery,(I would have liked a smaller gash, but hey) but I think much has to do with the surgeons comfort level(and confidence) too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dapplega

dapplega junior member

Just chiming in regarding recovery time with minimal posterior... Like jaydub63 my recovery was very quick. I was walking close to a mile daily with a can at week 2. I think much of it has to do with your fitness level going in and your surgeons skill. I have a friend from high school who had both hips done via anterior with similar outcomes....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gypsy

Gypsy member

The goal is a good outcome, so I would recommend putting your trust in an experienced surgeon, with less regard for whether they prefer to operate from the front, back, or sideways.

This would give me pause!

• Agree Agree x 2