TKR Merritts Mimi's Recovery Thread

Merritts Mimi

Country
United States United States
Just had left tkr on July 7, still working through pain and stiffness

@Merritts Mimi
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

You are only 3 days out from surgery, sounds like your knee is behaving exactly as expected with pain and stiffness.
No need to work through it, our knees heal in their own good time, and a lot of TLC.

I have added you to the TKR July Sparklers 2020, and your surgery date is now in your signature.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Merritts Mimi :flwrysmile: :welome:
The first days are the worst, just try to remember to keep up with your medication and use plenty of :ice:this will become your "new best friend". Rest and elevate your knee as much as possible and count your frequent trips to the bathroom as your daily exercise. It is important to move the knee but no need for anything vigorous or strenuous. I used the gentle approach and fast forward 9 months and I'm doing great, :happydance:no pain whatsoever. It was the best decision I ever did, (it's not what I thought after surgery though :heehee:) so it does get better. Try and keep a positive attitude when your down, and there will be many a day that you question your decision. Use us here on BoneSmart to vent, chat, or just use our social rooms for fun, there is always someone online from somewhere around the world to talk too.
Happy Healing to you :friends:

Can anyone give me advice regarding the best sleep position? I just can’t seem to get comfortable at night. Thanks in advance!

@Merritts Mimi Having the operative leg elevated and iced is the best. I have a Lounge Doctor that I use to elevate. I rented a Game Ready Ice / Compression device. There are a lot of options out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
People have done many different things to help get comfortable while sleeping. Some have slept in recliners, some ice and elevate all night, some just ice all night, some use a pillow between their knees and thighs, and so on. In the end what works for one may or may not work for another. The early days of this recovery can be miserable; spending time icing and elevating during the day between short walks that gradually get longer, along with not overdoing your activity at any given point, as suggested in the activity progression article above, are some things you can do to help. In the end, time is going to be the best cure for being comfortable enough at night to sleep.

I'd make sure to keep ahead of the pain by taking your meds as prescribed, also try the different suggestions for comfortable sleep, and see how it works. Sleep whenever you need to in these early days, it can be difficult to sleep well at night for a time, so sleep when you can, day or night.

Can anyone give me advice regarding the best sleep position?
The short answer to that is any way you can! I was back and forth between my recliner and my bed, 24 hours a day. I slept when and where I could. While you're sleeping your body can concentrate more on healing, so sleep away!

You guys are great, thank you for all the advice. At this point I am permanently attached to my ice machine. Have tried pillow between legs ouch, under not much better. Tried rolling onto side last night and got tangled in ice machine hose (geez), guess I’ll figure it out. Lol

It’s very early days, as you heal a bit you’ll be able to get a more comfortable position.

I did very well sleeping on my back, with my leg on an elevating wedge, but it took a couple of weeks before that happened.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom