THR Meralgia Parasthetica - any experience?

I constantly question whether I'm doing too much or not enough since last time I did too much and hip #1 does seem like a blur.

I realize I left this for you before but on the off chance you haven't read it yet I'll leave it again -

It's a rough guideline only, but I referred to it often in my early recovery to stay in line. I think if you follow it loosely you shouldn't have to worry about overdoing it. Check it out.
Hope you have a nice day and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@ritabell

@Harpcat
I am 2 weeks tomorrow and don't seem to be doing as well as you were a week ago?. You seem to be able to do more with less pain. Did you have any restrictions? I had the anterior approach and pain/swelling on the top front of my leg where the incision is, especially bending my leg while sitting and getting up. I have needed oxycodone during the way in order to make sure I am getting enough walking and resent taking it because I don't like the way I feel ( nauseous). I have tried just tylenol and I just have a miserable day and feel like I'm taking a step backward. My gait is better on pain meds but I'm not good walking with a cane and still prefer the walker. Hopefully , I will progress like you over the next week. I guess I'm impatient. I thought I did more, more quickly for hip #1 in march and that the anterior approach was going to have fewer restrictions and a faster outcome. Your approach seems to exemplify this.

Oh well....
@ritabell yes, I have the typical hip precautions to follow with a posterior approach... you just need to respect what your body is telling you and let go of the need to control or worry to death, because it will change nothing. Priority 1 is managing pain. Surgical approaches vary. I have a friend who just had a THR by my surgeon last week but her other hip was done by a different OS with an anterior approach. She had more pain last time than this time. Maybe it is the sitting because the surgery is so close to the hip flexor. Ice and elevate the dickens out of it.
I'm betting that at week 3 you will turn a corner. Don’t lose hope and keep a positive mindset. Look for the small successes. We’re rooting for you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Harpcat
Thanks for the advice. I am listening.

Congratulations on your 3 week checkup. You must be so relieved and on your way to having those initial worries behind you. Good luck!

I was explaining to a friend today that for hip number 1, I was ecstatic about every little accomplishment and milestone which seemed to occur every other day because I really didn't know what to expect (hadn't joined bonesmart yet unfortunately and didn't know anyone personally who had been through this). For example I was thrilled not to have general anesthesia, thrilled to be able to walk that first night, thrilled to go home after one day, thrilled that the nurse and PT would be at my house so often, the transition to a walker, having very little pain and swelling, stopping the pain meds, etc.... I felt such an adrenaline rush that this was the best thing I could have done for myself!

This time it is just the opposite. Every AM when I awake, I am anticipating those same milestones, even though that may be premature, and disappointed and impatient when I'm the same as yesterday. So last time, I had a very positive recovery and this time I am struggling with a negative mindset in recovery and i realize that has to change. So I am following someone's advice here to measure weekly improvements in swelling, pain, stamina and walking ability. My home PT is over and he had to be the most positive encouraging person in addition to my husband. And this is why I continue to write on BoneSmart because everyone here is equally encouraging and is in this with me.

I also can't underestimate the roller coaster effect of 2 new hips in one year. I had no idea with hip # 1 that I was going to need hip #2 and am still getting over that shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
That had to be a huge shock for you @ritabell and I sympathize with you completely.
I'm glad your time on BoneSmart has helped! Your first recovery sounds very familiar to my first hip.
I, too was absolutely giddy over every milestone.

My recent (#2 hip) hasn't been as exhilarating. I think because it was all new and exciting that I maybe romanticised it in my mind?
At any rate, I'm trying to be patient and try to temper my activities as in if I work a full day then I try to abstain from doing any light weights or PT exercises.

I will say that, since your stomach was a bit upset this time, to be careful with protein shakes, especially if you don't usually drink them. I felt I could adequately get my daily protein in with healthy foods and lots of veggies to help stay regular. Oh and those milkshakes! I still regret those, because now my slax are too tight! I drank those for fun, obviously not the perfect healthy choice. :gaah:

You are doing very well for someone who is still one day away from her 2 weeks post op report.
Please try to remember that. If you look around and read other recovery threads you will see that many had a good day then two bad days.
I hope you are relaxing tonight and are looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving too my fellow hippies!

It's a miracle that we can have new hips and not suffer for the rest of our lives.

I wish everyone good health on their road to recovery one step at a time I am looking forward to not thinking about my hips just for today.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, we have lots to be thankful for. Hope you've had a pleasant day and gotten to relax a little.

Thanksgiving was better than I expected! I was worried that I would be uncomfortable and want to leave right away but I really wanted to go for my husband's sake. His family is a lot of fun! I had no trouble with the 30 minute drive to a relative's house sitting in a reclined position and there was no traffic. It took my husband a half hour to get everything in the car: walker, a beach lounge chair so I could sit with everyone before dinner while putting my feet up, and the toilet thing in addition to the 2 pies we made the day before. I was able to sit at the table for about 20 minutes during the dinner YAY!. I find bending my hip to sit in a chair painful for more than this amount of time. Brought my ice pads like everyone suggested here. Didn't take any pain meds and even had a glass of wine as a toast! It seems that even the tylenol makes me nauseous now. Came home with a swollen foot and pleasantly exhausted. Iced and went to bed early. Pooped.

This Monday is my first post surgical appointment and I hope it goes well. The muscles of hip #1 have been bothering me off/on so I am worried that I have injured it somehow ( don't know how since I've done very little the past 2 weeks) but I convince myself that something is wrong so I can't wait to get that appointment over with. Maybe it is just so sore because it is accepting all the burden of hip #2 for the last 2 weeks but sometimes I feel like both legs have just had surgery. Has anyone had this experience?

Trying to keep my mind off my latest preoccupation this weekend and will let everyone know what's up on Monday.

Maybe it is just so sore because it is accepting all the burden of hip #2 for the last 2 weeks but sometimes I feel like both legs have just had surgery. Has anyone had this experience?
Oh gosh, your Thanksgiving sounds very nice! Aren't you just so glad you were able to go and participate?
That is a big deal!
I think many of us have experienced the first THR being sore after the hip #2 getting it's surgery. I know I did. It's more likely from the rigors of the surgery and the adjustments of your body re balancing to a new gait. A gait that now is even, with a different stride, and yes from the demands of carrying more of the load of stairs and etc. while #2 is weak and sore.

But it will be so good to hear this from your surgeon, yes? That first follow up appointment is such a good visit for most of us and I hope yours is, too!

Maybe it is just so sore because it is accepting all the burden of hip #2 for the last 2 weeks

I think that's a very good possibility. It's the first thing I thought as I was reading your words. It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving, good to hear! Wishing you all the best at your post op tomorrow. I hope you leave there happy and reassured. Let us know how it goes.
Hugs :friends:

Hi sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving,

My THR were 18 months apart but I ve also noticed: Hip #1 has been sore which my surgeon's trainer and my PT say is normal bc of my prior poor gait/muscle compensation...lots of readjusting going on.

Glad that you have an appointment soon so you can discuss your observations and concerns.

Had my first post op with OS today and discussed everything. He said the X-rays and incision look great and that I am progressing normally. He emphasized that no 2 hips recoveries are the same so I should not compare one to the other. He reminded me that They had different problems.

I brought up the muscle pain in hip # 1 right away but the X-ray looks good, so it is just what everyone said here , which is that hip # 1 is relearning and compensating for hip #2. This AM I had a sharp pain in Hip #1 but the OS said that both hips will take awhile to "calm" down and readjust. MY back nerves (since I also have mild spinal stenosis) might be reacting to my new hips and new limping/walking as well. So I did feel better after the appointment and am really trying to improve my gait and walk heel/toe all the time. Now I'm icing both hips regularly and will see if there's improvement in hip #1 in a week.

I confirmed with the OS that no flying for 6 weeks, so at 7 weeks , we are taking a short flight from Long Island to BWI to watch my 2 year old granddaughter when my daughter has her second baby on Jan 3. I was a little nervous about flying but it's short and I would rather fly than drive that miserable 5 hour drive from NY to Maryland. I'm getting a wheelchair for BWI because their gates are far away from the front entrance. Maybe I won't need it at that point but I'm being cautious. That way I can save my energy for my granddaughter. We will stay for 2 weeks and then I have to return home for my next surgery appointment. After that, I will be at 2+ months so I might fly back down to help out for another 2 weeks. I'll play it by ear as they say. Fortunately, they Iive right near the Airport. It's nice having plans for a change and something to look forward to. We have been hesitant about planning anything for over a year now between both hip surgeries. I can't wait for life to get back to "normal" whatever that will mean for me.

I also discussed the mental wear and tear of both these hip surgeries so close together. I had a great Thanksgiving and was very proud of myself for going, but that was followed by worry about the hip #1 pain. So, I did very little over the weekend but mope that my granddaughter doesn't live closer to cheer me up. She's so cute and exited about everything. Today, though, I felt encouraged by the OS visit and thrilled to actually make plane reservations like I used to.

Talked to the OS about PT which they recommend but I am very anxious and cautious since last time was so negative. I do like the new PT I found but I am waiting a week before I decide. I still feel that I am too swollen in that hip area to attempt anything more than what I am doing now at home.

You sound wonderful, getting your life back to a more normal routine and plans to enjoy life more. I am glad you had your concerns addressed by the OS.

Sounds like you have this well planned out! I am glad you are giving your body time to heal. I am very glad you had good news from the OS. :yes!:

Hi @ritabell
Thanks for sharing your update. It is so reassuring to have your surgeon confirm all looks good and that the concerns you've shared are normal.

Consider this....since you're having reservations about PT, why don't you schedule it for after the holidays and once you return from your daughters in mid January. You'll only be two months post op and many don't begin engaging in therapy until 6-8 weeks post op. By then, you may be surprised and find out you don't even need it. It's not like you'll be missing a "window of opportunity" and it's just one more thing you'll have to squeeze in during the holidays. Just something to ponder...

You're going to love that special time with your daughter and precious grand babies. How fun!

I hope you have a nice week!

I agree with layla. I am so nervous about PT especially since both hips are "recovering" at this point. I don't know why anyone would start PT when you still have a lot of swelling around the incision. I still am uncomfortable bending at the hip when I sit down so I don't sit for long. Mainly a semi reclined position on the sofa. My home PT gave me a few minimal stretching exercises that I love, along with a few easy just-to-keep-moving-everything exercises which I also love. I am still fond of heel slides and have noticed a big improvement in how high I can bend my knee. This is easy to do when on the sofa.

Does anyone know if lightly massaging the area ( IT band and leg muscles) helps those muscles recover? I have a great massage therapist. It was too sensitive to the touch until now to even try.

Do leg lifts actually help? Today at the OS visit I was asked to do one for each leg. I was able to Iift hip #2 leg about 8 inches which I thought was great considering I haven't practiced these AT ALL. Hip # 1 leg went way up with ease. I hate them!

I am a big fan of gently massaging the soft tissue around your hip and thigh. What helped me was making circles.. I would circle clockwise up my IT Band then would do it again counter clockwise.
I also massaged all around my knee, mainly because the knee takes a big a good bit of the forces applied when maneuvering our leg and hip on the surgery table. Plus did you know your IT Band extends down to and attaches right below the lateral side of your knee?
Just use gentle pressure and don't use lotion or oil on your incision until your OS approves it. :flwrysmile:

After my OS said I could I did those same circular strokes on my incision, too.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I found it to be very helpful.

Nice update from your visit with the OS, it does make us feel so much better after we get told what we're feeling is all normal. I agree with @Layla about holding off until after the holidays and your trip. You have a few exercises that you seem to like and combined with your day to day activities that should be fine. When you get back you can always schedule an appointment, especially if you are wanting to work on something specific like gait.

The trip sounds like it's going to be a good boost for you, grands always seem to cheer us up. It may be a bit tiring but I think you have a good plan in place.

Oh! I loved Layla's suggestion about waiting until after your visit with your family and so happy you agree, too!
Leg raises can be very hard on a new hip, I followed the rule of if it hurts, don't do it. Whenever I tried them and did more than a few, it hurt and I would feel more soreness for a day.
There's plenty of time later on for those, in my opinion. So happy to hear about your positive follow up appointment!

@ritabell glad to hear you had a good appointment today with you OS. I agree about waiting for the PT. With my last hip, I really enjoyed the PT but so far with this one, I'm taking it easy and trying to make sure I don't overdo it. I think you've made great progress and everyone's advice to wait a bit sounds good.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back