TKR Mepilex bandage

keefsmom

Country
United States United States
First day home after TKR to match the left, done in 2017. Experience seems quite different but I’m doing ok. Home Pt just left and he was much more gentle than his predecessor so that’s great! Just knowing y’all are out there is a big relief!
Patty

Here's the same old same old...

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to recovery and congratulations on your new knee. No two knees recover the same way. I am glad your home PT was gentle. They should be - if they are not make sure they stop and do not let them force you and cause pain especially this early in recovery. Remember lots of icing and elevation and rest/naps at this stage.

Home Pt just left and he was much more gentle than his predecessor so that’s great!

Many surgeons and therapists are now realizing that the gentler, BoneSmart way is the best way to recovery after this surgery.

this is my first time with the mepilex bandage, which they applied at the hospital upon my discharge. In brief, i love not having to see the staples, the bandage is adhering well, no bleeding or discharge around the edges = no worries about wound care (a subject my husband and I obsessed over after prior TKR).

My discharge papers say to take it off 7 days total after surgery date, "then it may be removed and the wound left open to the air." My question is, after checking the wound and leaving it open to air for most of the day, is there any reason i can't apply a new mepilex bandage before i go to bed? It's just like any other dressing only more secure, right? i'm a bit paranoid about disturbing the wound while i toss and turn. I have my followup with OS on the 24th, I suppose he will remove staples then.

Hi @keefsmom.
I think you should phone your surgeon's rooms and ask about re-covering your wound, since it appears your surgeon wants your incision left open to the air.

Apparently, the Mepilex dressing is made of absorbent foam, designed to absorb any discharge.

How is the wound? Any discharge at all now? If it's completely dry, it can safely be left exposed.
I do understand the urge to cover it, to protect it, though.
If there's still some discharge, you will need to cover it, to prevent it making a mess on your clothes and bedding.

By the way, you'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread per TKR.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your question as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I wouldn't like to advise anything without you first asking your surgeon. He/she may have a protocol for this.

Just wanted to affirm that I survived removing the mepilex bandage today without fainting!:heehee:
30 staples, no discharge or bleeding so it’s not pretty but is healing just as it should. I’ll be happy when the staples come out on Monday tho!
A note about PT. I really like the gentleman who has been coming to my house! He is indeed very gentle, has been helping with stretches and massage to reduce swelling and frequently reminds me as we’re doing exercises that I’m in charge of how much we do and can stop at any time if it’s painful. What a difference from the PTs I saw 3 years ago after my LTKR! I used to dread PT and arguing with them about not pushing in my knee, always came home in pan and feeling defeated. Now after PT I feel encouraged and optimistic about my progress, less anxious, more relaxed, and I’m sleeping better because of it. I was going to switch to outpatient next week but have decided to work with current PT for another week instead. My insurance authorized 9 in-home sessions, I wonder if I can get more given current risk of COVID in outpatient settings?
on an unrelated note, I’m a huge classic movie fan and am wondering if there is anyone else out there keeping company with TCM in the wee hours of the morning!
Rest up smarties!

TCM is definitely a go to when you're up overnight. :)

Four week post surgery update here...i am having a markedly different recovery with this right knee than i had with the left 3 years ago. I am gaining strength and range of motion like nobody's business, walking well with a cane, energy level almost back to normal, although I do usually fall asleep after i've had PT or spent some time on the pedal exerciser.

I know each knee and operation is different, but i think one of the main reasons i'm progressing quickly is that i have less swelling this time. i followed the bonesmart guidelines for elevating, icing, and resting, but perhaps most importantly, unlike the last time, my physical therapist never worked me past the point of discomfort, so instead of the swelling increasing after exercise, it continued to go down.

Bottom line: recovery the bonesmart way is the only way!:yes!:

My Mepilex silver dressing peeled smoothly away and underneath I found a good application of steri strips over the direct incision. I was told the steri strips will eventually come off on their own, not to pull on them, though I can trim any edges that might curl up over time. I was so glad not to immediately see a big creepy wound! I cut one of my husband's old (bleached and laundered) undershirts in half and use that as a barrier for the ice sleeves.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts