THR MEPil on the recovery side

:hi: my hippy pal.
I hope this post finds you feeling a bit better.
It's good to be able to remind ourselves that all is temporary and really will be worth these tough days.
Continued healing vibes coming your way.

How's sweet, MEPil doing?
You've been quiet for the past couple days. Hopefully all is well and you're just chillin :ice:
@MEPil

VSlowlife, I can tell small bits of improvement but slow. I had some discomfort today in my glute area, wondering if I could have moved wrong or brought it on in some way. I tried to get off the couch by myself last night and probably shouldn't have. I've taken it pretty easy today. I still have numbness and soreness in the thigh area, sure wish it would go away. Trying to walk around the house a bit too. Hope you are doing well.

@Layla just trying to cope with this recovery, still some swelling and soreness and numbness. I am still extremely tired but guess a lot of that could be all these meds. This is a slow road it seems, wish it were faster for sure. I'm still icing and elevating, hopefully enough. Trying to walk around as I feel like it. I hope you are doing well.

@Mojo333 thank you, I appreciate all the healing vibes I can get. Slow road indeed but do believe I'm a bit stronger but still very sore, some swelling, and numbness. Sure looking forward to better days. Hope you are doing well.

Hi @MEPil , or rather good morning!
Glad to read about your visit to see your OS.. it's always very reassuring to hear positive reinforcement from them.
I'm sure many have told you that the first 2 weeks are pretty tough at times..just continue to take things slowly and try not to worry. I see Layla discussed some of the diaphragmatic breathing with you.
Have you been able to implement that?
I liked doing it, especially at night, it was so helpful in helping me fall asleep, too.
Take care, better days are coming.

@MEPil So glad to hear from you! Some of your tiredness, may also be from your body needing to be busy healing. So many tissues to heal internally, bones to grow into implants. Your TKRs have been successful, so you seem to be a good healer.
Do you have any hobbies you can pursue while you are healing, to keep your hands busy, something simple to pick up and put down when you need to rest?
I ventured out too much the other day and have spent the last day and a half paying for it, so much more restful to quell the pain. The laundry did not yet get done.

@VSlowLife our bodies sure have away of telling us to slow down we're demanding too much of it. Sorry you had problems, hope you are better by now. The laundry won't go anyplace, unfortunately, but true.
My knee has been sore with this hip but I understand that happens. I hope and pray once I'm healed all this will settle down.
I have been very sore today, I think it could be the way I sleep, no telling how we move in our sleep.
As long as I know what I'm going through is just part of it all, I can cope easier at least with tolerance. Take care and have a good day my friend.

@CricketHip I have been, when I think to do it, I need to be more mindful. Seem to be sorta brain fogged, meds? As far as sleeping, I've probably only had a very few times waking up early. I have been blessed being able to go to sleep quickly, sleep deeply and dream. I'm just a sleepy head since this surgery, meds? Sleepy through the day too. This coming Tuesday will be three weeks, I hope I will start to see more improvement, still so very sore and feel a zinger here and there some and it's scary when you don't expect it. Take care and have a great day my friend.

Good Morning and a Happy Sunday to you!
I'm wondering if you expressed how sleepy you're often feeling and the brain fog you've experienced to your surgeon at your post op last Monday? The only reason I'm asking is it could be the way a particular med is affecting you, or the way a combo of meds are affecting you and there may be a better option for you if you care to bring it to your surgeon's attention.
Sleep is good and we do experience Energy Drain for a time, but if you feel it's excessive you may want to consider a conversation with your surgeon to make an adjustment to meds for you.

Those strange zaps and zingers are nerves regenerating. Look at it as your body doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing in healing itself. You're on your way :happydance:even though you may not feel that energetic at the moment.
Big hugs and wishes for a great day!
@MEPil

@Layla, No, didn't even consider asking my OS about the tiredness or sleepiness at my appointment, I just thought it goes along with everything else we go through. Maybe I should call his nurse and ask about it, it won't be long before this round of meds will be done. I've thought it could be the pain med too. Not use to taking this many medications.

@Layla, I just looked up the side affects of the pain med I was prescribed and it definitely causes tiredness, sleepiness, also dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, constipation. I guess that's part of what I'm dealing with.

@MEPil you appear to be on course, from everything I remember..funny how things blur together over the first two weeks if not the first few days. Its good to come back here and re-read our own progress as well as others for points of reference. I was off pain meds quickly and just taking the generic tylenol, lots of icing and elevation. Any RX pain medicine thats a narcotic can affect so much...I am just under 4 weeks ahead of you and every few days you will get a little better, a little stronger and you will gradually return to normality. It was 6 weeks before I went anywhere other than medical appts, 2 trips to a very close library and one trip to a close by diner..it will happen and one day in a few weeks I will be reading about you putting your assistive devices away and the small joys of rejoining the living as I call it.

@Steelmanpa thank you for encouraging me, I ran out of my pain medication over the weekend, called Friday for renewal and they didn't call it in, called the nurse this morning and she said the automated must not have recorded it so she is to take care of it. I tried Tylenol but didn't help much at all, not a comfortable week end at all. Iced and elevated and napped yesterday. I hate to have to take that stuff but can't handle that much discomfort either. I can tell improvement but it sure seems slow to me. I think you have done excellent so far. I sure pray in another week or so I can be where you are now. I have therapy tomorrow and she said she is going to work on getting me transferred to the cane, I am looking forward to that. I'm not graceful on this walker. Our poor baseboards and furniture are getting beat up.
A week ago my husband took me to lunch after therapy and I couldn't wait to get home and lay down, too early for me but I wanted to do it. Just therapy and my OS appointment until I much better but sure will be excited to rejoin activity with others. Have a great day and thank you again.

Good Morning and a Happy Monday to you! @MEPil
If you feel you're excessively fatigued I would speak with the OS about whether it could be a side effect of the meds and possibly you could try another.

You're not alone in experiencing energy drain. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing.

Wondering if you feel you're keeping up with (roughly) the Activity Progression For THR, or if you feel it's a struggle at the this point of three weeks post op?

I hope you have a nice day!

@Layla I do believe I am where this progress report says I should be except for my getting out of bed on my own. I did get off the couch after laying down and felt it pull in my glute and it bothered me a day or so, so wait for my husband to help me. I am extremely sore and stiff when I get up of a morning. In many ways I'm coming along but seem to be a challenge in others. My knee got very sore over the weekend too. Maybe I'm a slower healer?

I think you're doing fine then. Feeling sore and stiff in the morning is normal at this point. It's even normal for many of us who are way further along as we all live in aging bodies. :heehee: If you feel like you're in step with the Activity Progression, which is only a rough gauge anyway, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there! Ice any areas of discomfort, even your knee area if it's bothering you and see if it helps. Icing does help in relieving pain.
Hope you have a good day!
@MEPil

@Layla thank you, was beginning to think I've got a problem going on. I still have numbness in the thigh area not far from insision. Is that normal as well. Guess I'm a whimp.

@MEPil a lot of folks feel numbness all around the incision area. It usually seems to go away in its own but may take a while. If your incision is totally closed, no scabbing whatever, you could maybe try a bit of light massage, just add a little lotion. If nothing else it will keep the area from drying out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie