THR MEPil on the recovery side

@VSlowLife @Layla @leejaa thank you all for encouragement. I'm going to do my best to follow your advice. If this soreness would go away, I know If be in a better frame of mind. This recovery is so important to me and I don't want to hurry it up and mess myself up or do something wrong. I'm not going to even try the cane until the Dr or PT say it's ok. Maybe with more time and healing the limp will get better and be gone. I can still feel it's there even on the walker but I know I am weak strength wise yet. I sure need patience. You all have a wonderful Dal and thank you.

This morning was my first post op checkup with my OS. I did get to see my Dr and not the assistant. They did X-rays and he was happy with how I'm doing. He told me my soreness is normal and the insision is ok but red, it's in a place where under clothing keeps it irritated, I can use a gauze pad to help pad it. He told me to use ice on insision and heat on hip and leg and that should help. Just going to take time to heal. I go back to see him again December 31, New Year's Eve day. He also told me walking is about the best exercise for it, so he agrees with Bone Smart.

That is all wonderful news and hopefully you feel better about things. Hips are easier since we do not have to gain flexion/extension but it is still recovery from a major surgery and we all recover at different rates. Our bodies have minds of their own when they want to let us do things without discomfort.

Slow and steady will get you there. There is no rush and no timeline that has to be met.

@leejaa I sure am finding that out, just wish this terrible soreness would leave, I know I'd feel so much better. Today's visit did encourage me a lot. It's stressful on this recovery road. Thank you for your encouragement. Have a great evening.

Good evening...
It's nice to read you had a good visit with the OS and felt reassured. That's always uplifting. :yes!:
I'm not sure if there is still swelling involved, but if so I've heard icing is best. It helps minimize swelling and pain. Heat doesn't minimize swelling and inflammation does cause pain. It's already two weeks tomorrow since your surgery. Time sure flies.
Happy Two Week Anniversary (on the eve of) :happydance:
Wishing you lots of comfort and a good week!
@MEPil

@Layla oh yes I do still have swell around my upper thigh close to the insision area, and a kinda knot, the Dr checked the area out and said it's normal. I'm using ice in that area then heat on the front of my leg just above the knee area. It does seem to relax the muscles. I'm most likely going to use my walker until this area gets some better. I just wonder how long it takes before this will go away. I know everybody is different but this really bothers me.

Hi @MEPil
If you're referring to the swelling, it can last for months, but that doesn't mean it will for you. Two weeks post op is awfully early in the whole scheme of things. Continue to ICE any areas that are swollen or causing you discomfort and ELEVATE -

I've learned from Jamie that the lymphatic system rids the body of fluid (swelling). In elevating, fluid from the hip area or lower extremities is gravitationally pulled toward the lymph nodes in the torso area to be processed more quickly. The lymphatic system works rather slowly on its own so elevating assists in speeding up the process. The fluid isn't draining into the hips, it's contained within the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Easy to say, but try not to give it too much thought since you've just met with your OS and he's reassured you all you're experiencing is considered normal.
I hope you have a nice Wednesday. Hugs to you. :friends:

@Layla I definitely need to elevate more. I can tell small improvements every day but it is a slow process. My therapist told me yesterday when she was working with me that I'm starting at ground zero to rebuild. She started working with me on my gate and I can't believe how ungraceful I am. It's going to take time and work. Thank you for explaining this swelling issue to me. I am using ice on the insision area and some heat on the leg area just above knee and it is helping. Both my OS and therapist told me to do that. I had thought of heat there and was going to ask my OS and he brought it up before I did, same with my therapist yesterday and I told her what my OS told me. I definitely will start elevating more, thank you for bringing this up to me. Hope you have a great day.

@MEPil also CricketHip has posted some information, I think it is called manual lymphatic drainage. You can look for someone who does it professionally or she describes some simple techniques you can do at home.

Following is the info CricketHip has left elsewhere on the forum referenced by VSlowLife above -

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5/4 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get any swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand right above or at your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that I could get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this was.. you have lymph nodes seated there in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of sorts.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't have our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

@MEPil Oh yeah, I had the knot too, and its gone now...You are progressing. The limp is something you will lose over time, though there are different degrees of limping that change and lessen as you recover. My gait is not perfect yet nor is it going to be for a bit. I think we all would like to be further along and as I found out (with guidance) that we will heal and progress towards a full life. I can't add to the advice other than stay the course, be patient, be mindful of your actions as you are still fairly early post op..

@Steelmanpa thank you for the encouragement. My goal is to be pain free and walk like a normal human being and I know that is the goal of us all.
I believe therapy is probably going to have to teach me how to walk again. My limp was very pronounced between having my knee replacement and this hip replacement and before the knee replacement some but got progressively worse before my knee was replaced. Maybe I'm just talking out of stress and fear and I pray it starts to resolve as I heal. The therapist told me this week she hopes to start transferring me to the cane this next week. I am still so very sore and swelled, I don't feel like I can get my body to do much of anything. I'm still numb in the thigh area just below and to the side of the insision area and that knot is in that area.
I got up this morning and my new knee is even sore, maybe the way I slept. I really do need to settle down and keep reminding myself it's gonna get better. Thank you for letting me vent.

Question, would the breathing device I got from the hospital when I came home also work with the deep breathing to help move the swelling? Can't remember the name of it but used it before surgery too.

Spirometer, I'm guessing is what you're referencing?
I'm really not sure so I guess I'd advise to simply move through the exercise the way it reads in Post Number 152 above and hopefully you'll notice results. You may find it realaxing also.

I hope you have a peaceful day and that you're feeling an increased strength with each passing week, as well as more confidence in your recovery. You have two weeks behind you already and you're doing great. Keep it up!
@MEPil

My goal is to be pain free and walk like a normal human being and I know that is the goal of us all.

I had my left hip replacement on 09/24/19 and I think that's the goal for us all. I hope you're feeling better soon.

The therapist told me this week she hopes to start transferring me to the cane this next week.

My OS and PT were both pretty conservative and I didn't transition from a walker to a cane until after three or so weeks.

I really do need to settle down and keep reminding myself it's gonna get better.

Our bodies are all different, but I think each person has a miraculous healing power - it just take patience and time. Keep the faith - you'll get there...

@DesertDiva thank you, maybe I'm not a real good patient. Last September 2018, I had a knee replacement then found out my hip was bad, just seem like I've been on this recovery road for a very long time. I've got to be more patient with it all. I hope you are doing well and feel better every day. Thank you for your encouragement ❤️

@Layla that is the name, just seemed to leave me. I will start trying to do what you have recommended. Thank you. ❤

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom