Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

Arthroscopy Meniscus Root Repair

Tripplefun

Country
United States United States
It’s been almost a week since I had a meniscus root repair. Still feeling a bit sore and uncomfortable, taking pain meds although I’ve cut back on them. Tried to go without meds but that didn’t work. My doctor wants me to do exercises 5 times a day so I need those drugs. One of the hardest parts is being non weight bearing for 6 weeks and wearing a brace to keep my leg straight, even when I sleep! Since my bedroom and shower are upstairs I sleep on an air mattress downstairs and shower when I can! So hard scooting upstairs on my bottom! When I get to the top, standing up is very challenging! I can’t stop laughing sometimes It’s so ridiculous! Follow-up appointment on Monday so I’ll see what’s next!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My doctor wants me to do exercises 5 times a day so I need those drugs.
I would recommend easing back on all this. If you are non-weight bearing all this activity is just aggravating an area that was traumatised.
Since my bedroom and shower are upstairs I sleep on an air mattress downstairs and shower when I can!
Is this even comfortable for you? Didn't PT in the hospital teach you how to go up and downstairs?

Are you icing and elevating that op leg?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome to recovery.
Although you haven't had a knee replacement, many of these articles will also be relevant for your recovery:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
T

Tripplefun

Country
Thank you for the info on recovery! I plan to take it a little slower in the days ahead. The air mattress I’m sleeping on is fairly comfortable and as high off the ground as my bed. Now that the weather is much colder I noticed the surface gets very cold! I’ll use an electric blanket and that should help. Sleeping on my back with a brace on is challenging and I wake up every couple of hours.

I was given a print out with pictures showing how to go upstairs using crutches and my good leg but I’m reluctant to try it! That could be a disaster. I didn’t see a PT prior to surgery. I’ll probably start after my follow-up appointment. Hopefully they’ll help me out and not be too aggressive.

sistersinhim

Country
I would take it easy on all that PT. It's really unnecessary. I was in an immobilizer two times for each knee for 6-8 weeks and never did any exercises. Even after removing the immobilizer I never took PT or did any exercises. I just started using my knees as they allowed without causing increased pain or swelling. I recovered alone and had to take care of myself, so my daily activities were my exercise. You will find that they will be enough for you, too. Aggressive PT causes more inflammation that causes more pain and swelling and setbacks. You are recovering from surgery and not in training. You are healing!

OP
OP
T

Tripplefun

Country
It will be 4 weeks on Friday since my meniscus root repair surgery. I’m still non weight bearing and in a locked brace. I’ve been doing my PT exercises twice a day and it was going okay until I started having severe pain while doing heel slides to 90 degrees and isometric hamstring sets. My knee is pretty stiff from the surgery which I expected but not the increased pain. The non weight bearing is tough, especially since I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks in July when I first injured it!

I was scheduled for a hip replacement followed by a knee replacement in July. It was put on hold when I had the root tear injury. My arthritic hip and knee are now suffering with pain since they’re having to do all the work while my other knee heals.

This has been tough for me especially with the isolation due to COVID and not being able to get out on my own. How is everyone else coping with this?

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
2Kittens
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom