TKR Melisa’s new knee (3/20/23)

mahscott72

Country
United States United States
Hi! I’m Melisa. I’m 51. Live in SE Wisconsin. I’m a Communication Director/Graphic Designer at a large church.

RTKR on 3/20/23, robot assist.

In 2012 I had meniscus repair on the same knee.
My leg was not aligned. Bone was wearing away. I suspect all stems from issues I was born with (my parents are deceased so I cannot consult them).

Surgery went well. I didn’t do well coming out of it, was too nauseous to get up out of bed after surgery. Never do well with anesthetic. Prior to surgery they told me studies have shown if you are prone to motion sickness (I am, terribly), you will have issues with anesthetic.

Upon waking in my room after surgery the first thing my husband told me was that my brother had died (age 61). He was very unhealthy, chronic COPD, refused to stop smoking even after having his O2 explode in his face. I had texted his son (age 37) on the way in to let them know I was having surgery. While i was in surgery my nephew texted me that his dad had died, felt bad having to tell me via text. Things are a bit foggy, not sure how soon I called my nephew. When i did talk to him they weren’t sure what they would do for a service, they have no money. His mom is also very unhealthy and not ambulatory. He is her caretaker. So i offered up the church I work at with no fees. They are unchurched people, but graciously accepted. The next evening one of our pastors stopped by my house so we could talk initial details. And then the rest of the week was funeral planning mode. Being short staffed at the church I have been helping with funerals. Even Friday post surgery going to a flower shop with my nephew so i could buy the flowers. It took a few days to hit me that it was my brother who I was planning this funeral for. Initially i was sad that my brothers unhealthy life took his life, but not really any sorrow. The service was April 1. Thankful for great people in my life and another brother to help. But looking back I did A LOT. And going to PT, healing. Yikes.

As of today I’m at 5 weeks post surgery. I’m doing well. Started back in the office last week (phased return). Thankful to have a sofa in my office suite and a stool that I can use under my desk. With Easter also happening recently I was also working from my sofa at home from time to time. Didn’t mind it so much, good distractions. Good to be back in the office with my good friends. I drove to PT and work today!

I’ve been doing PT 2-3 times a week. They are wonderful there. I also did 6 rounds of laser therapy to help with pain and scar tissue ‍worth a shot.

I’m an avid cyclist and anxious to get back on the bike, however know it will be a bit. Glad it’s still cold in WI.

From following the forum, seems like most of my complaints are common. The couple I will put out there are where my scar is from the meniscus repair can be very sensitive. And behind my knee, just below the crease gets sore.

Thanks for reading this far!

Melisa

Welcome Melisa. You had a rough start to recovery. So sorry for the loss of your brother. What tragic news to hear right after surgery. It does sound like you’re doing very well. Just be sure to baby your new knee and learn to listen to it. It will tell you when you did something it didn’t like or when you do too much.

Take care of yourself!

Hello Melissa,
Welcome to BoneSmart! Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. I'm sorry you have to grieve his loss as you heal from major surgery. :console2:

Thankfully your recovery seems to be moving along fairly well. With five weeks behind you I am sure you're slowly getting back into the swing of things and forging ahead.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines with best wishes as you continue your healing journey. Stop back often, we'd love to follow your progress. Thanks for joining us!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Sorry for your loss. What a terrible shock to wake up to.
You are doing incredibly well for so early on.

Thank you all for your kind words. It’s still a bit surreal (my brothers death) as we didn’t see each other much (he kept to himself despite me trying to connect).
But of course the knee is here so that’s ever present. And taking care of myself needs to be a priority.

6 week (and 1 day) post op today.
All good. Met with both the PA & surgeon. Pleased with healing. Of course the couple of questions I had (hyper-sensitive area, sore muscles) all normal. Due to the severe valgus I’ll have soreness as my leg readjusts. Anyone else have luck with massage therapy in this aspect?

It’s been cold, wet, and gray in SE Wisconsin, anxious to get outside for at least walks around the block and minimal puttering in the yard. Thankful I can walk around at work.

Thanks for the update! It's a great feeling to receive confirmation from your surgeon that you're doing well.
I hope the rain dissipates and you have some warm sunny days soon to enjoy your walks in the fresh air.
Cheers to brighter days in many ways! :SUNsmile:
@mahscott72

Due to the severe valgus I’ll have soreness as my leg readjusts
I was also severely valgus ( over 20 degrees). My leg is now pretty much straight. My surgeon said he had restored my natural alignment- so possibly still very slightly knock kneed to match my other side. I was always a bit knock kneed as a child but got really crooked as my lateral knee compartment collapsed with arthritis.
I didn't initially have any general soreness due to readjusting to a straight leg.
The only issue was that my MCL ( medial collateral ligament) had become very over stretched by the valgus deformity. That meant I still had some medial pain on stairs post surgery. This is improving with work on my medial quads.
I also now have the occasional twinge behind my knee ( where I used to have a Baker's cyst). I am not sure if this is due to my foot still turning in slightly as a legacy if my knock knee issue. I am trying a different shoe insole before getting advice from a physio if it persists.
I don't think it will necessarily cause you problems adjusting to a straight leg but look out for MCL pain and maybe get your physio to check your gait.

@EalingGran interesting. I do have soreness on the inside of my knee. Also the calf muscles at the top and hamstring are very tight. My therapist worked on them quite a bit this morning. Still very tight. I’ll need to ask her some more stretches I can do. She said my gait is good, she cannot tell which was the operative leg.

Also the calf muscles at the top and hamstring are very tight. My therapist worked on them quite a bit this morning. Still very tight. I’ll need to ask her some more stretches I can do.
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Also the calf muscles at the top and hamstring are very tight. My therapist worked on them quite a bit this morning. Still very tight. I’ll need to ask her some more stretches I can do.
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
Thanks! That’s exactly what the surgeon said. It just helps to gently stretch it, yesterday it was just seizing up and the gentle stretches help to release it.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the last couple weeks since we've heard from you were good.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay in touch. We love reading of progress in updates! :SUNsmile:
@mahscott72

@EalingGran interesting. I do have soreness on the inside of my knee. Also the calf muscles at the top and hamstring are very tight. My therapist worked on them quite a bit this morning. Still very tight...
The tightness is normal and part of the healing IMO. It will abate with time.

I can attest to that as my second TKR felt tight/ constrained and bound (especially at the back of knee) far more than previous TKR. But it's getting better as the weeks go by.

@LD of Michigan glad to hear it’s getting better for you, it’s so annoying. I do realize I’m such a small fraction into this recovery, it just would be nice if it wasn’t so tight and bound as you said (good word to describe it), but all in time.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the last couple weeks since we've heard from you were good.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay in touch. We love reading of progress in updates! :SUNsmile:
@mahscott72
Thanks!
9 weeks today! Recently I related this recovery to my husband to a pie. If you cut the pie in 6 slices, I’m only one slice in!

Life has been busy, my oldest was home from college for a week visit. During that time my 18yo had her final ballet performance awards night at school, graduation comes in less than two weeks.

Last week took a 4 hour road trip to drop the oldest off in Iowa for the summer to the camp she’s working at. A friend drove. Felt great enough to do some hiking the second day we were there. Actually a hike I’d never done at the camp and was quite pleased. Followed by the 4 hour drive home with stops of course.
Another exciting milestone is that I rode my bike yesterday! Just around the block (didn’t have time to try anymore). Looking forward to slowly getting back into cycling!

You are coming along really well! I can relate to the joy of riding the bike again. I was thrilled to get back on it. I started really slowly, but at least I was back on it!

That rode trip and hike was a test for you new knee and it passed!

You're welcome!
I like your pieces of pie / recovery analogy. :heehee: It's cute!
Sounds like you've been busy and thankfully your knee must be cooperating with all of the activity.
Yahoo for getting back on your bike! Slowly but surely you'll get closer to where you want to be.
Enjoy! :bicycle1:
@mahscott72

Weather is finally leaning towards summer here in SE Wisconsin (Lake Michigan keeps us cold). Been lovely to get outside ride my bike. Yesterday my head wanted to do the pre-replacement 15-20 mile ride, I kept it to 3.5. Today I did 4.3. Maybe by end of summer I’ll be able to handle a longer ride again. Rather do a short ride than regret pushing myself
IMG_6434.jpeg

Lovely! You're wise to take it s-l-o-w. You have a good thing going, why ruin it.
Enjoy! :bicycle1:
@mahscott72

From my 18 year old daughter who was behind me going up the stairs earlier “Hey, I’d didn’t take you a million years to get up the stairs!”

Yes, stairs are easier, up and down going one over the other.
Biked 6 miles on Monday!
Basically done with PT, I do have one more scheduled which I will cancel. I’m doing well without them. When the weather was chillier I went to the gym and would work on things there that I did at PT. When it’s nice I’d rather be outside. I walk around a lot at work too. Maybe stretch on the stairs, fit in movement when/where I can.

Interesting I see many here sharing ROM/flexion, at my PT they didn’t measure very often and were not focused on the numbers, nor was my OS.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009