Meeting to discuss pain control

Katrina’stkr

Country
United States United States
Surgery 2/23. I had rtkr done, now ltkr. I am requesting a meeting to discuss pain control. Last time, I was given 25 oxy, after nerve block wore off, tremendous pain and got approval for increase from 5 to 7.5 or 10mgs for 36 hours I can’t remember which dosage. Then after “meeting” to discuss that I need more pain meds (after oxy) post surgery 4 days, I was given hydrocodone 30. Pills. I remember having pain for about 3 weeks that was 6 0-10 where I could handle it for a while but constant day after day I slowly turned into a zombie, no appetite, not sleeping well, staring at the TV all day. I remember looking forward to sitting on porch each day and sat there for 10 minutes and went back in to my couch due to the pain. I had an ice machine and used it religiously in night occ and during the day, rationing my hydrocodone also. My question: I take lamotrigine (bipolar in remission) I see that lamotrigine binds dopamine receptors and opioids increase dopamine ? Is there a possibility that my medication decreases the effectiveness of the pain med ? Is my story the normal process of “expect there to be pain”?

I think it makes sense to talk to your doctors before your surgery to discuss all your medications and how they might factor into your pain meds plan.

Great idea to talk to your surgeon about pain control since you had such a difficult time with your Right TKR. I'm sorry to hear of your struggle. We often remind members that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person, so hopefully your upcoming recovery is way easier than the first. However, it's wise to be prepared. I wish you comfort as you wait and an uneventful surgery and recovery. :fingersx: Stay in touch and have a good week!
@Katrina’stkr

I am so glad to read that your having an appointment about pain control before your scheduled surgery. That is such a good thing since you had such trouble before. However, each surgery is totally different and how our bodies react is different also I believe.

Going into the surgery with a plan specifically for you is great. Make sure you don't 'over think' how you are feeling. Even with the pain medication, ice & elevation you will have some discomfort. This will certainly help you once the surgery happens.

You're very wise to get the pain meds adjusted before tkr. I wish you all the best!

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Katrina!
Please join us on the Knee recovery Forum when you're feeling up to it.
Hope to see you there soon!
@Katrina’stkr

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom