Meet and Greet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul70

Hello to everyone,I would like to introduce myself and say I look forward to sharing my upcoming experience with others who are where I am now,and learning from those who have been through it already.It seems this community has a terrific supportive group, dedicating time,experiences,and professinal knowledge ,to help others through this.I would like to be part it.
My name is Paul I am an active 39 year old commercial contruction worker in the Northeast U.S.After browsing through the forums these last few weeks,it seems my problem is nothing new for someone my age,mild femoral capital epiphysis undiagnosed during childhood, leading to early osteoarthritis.March of this year symptoms became bad enough to get checked out,and now I am getting rthr on 10/22/09.I am a bit nervous about the whole thing,as things went downhill so quickly still trying to process it all.I am not new to joint surgeries,but this one has me concerned.Thanks for reading and hope everyone has a great day.
Paul

Ah, Paul - welcome to the BoneSmart family! I can fully understand your anxieties but just think - in a few weeks you'll be reborn! woo hoo!

Hey Paul and welcome sounds like it did come up fast but then you dont have to sit that long and worry your active you will be fine........toughest part is the down time but to get better and make it work do what they tell ya...Im 42 and sstill glad i did it......Post anytime and i wish you the best in your upcoming surg.................)

Hey Paul Welcome Just remember we are just a few finger strokes away for when you have questions or just want to vent.

We all understand venting here for sure:hehe: We do it a lot.

So welcome aboard, you will do great and we look forward to your post.

Welcome Paul,
I unfortunately am not a stranger to surgery lately, but let me tell you the hip replacement was by far the best ever. I love my new hip. If you have a great surgeon and great pain meds you will be fine. Just remember to take the pain meds on time and that your leg will weigh 10,000 pounds when you wake up. I had no pain if I was just laying around.
good luck
judy

Hi, Paul!!! Welcome to our BoneSmart family. As you are seeing, we have a GREAT group of people who enjoy helping and supporting others through joint replacement surgery and the recovery afterwards. Please post any time you have a question or concern...or just to pop in and say hello. There is almost always someone available online.

As you head toward surgery, know that the worst part is WAITING!!! While you're in that mode, sift back through some of the hip surgery and recovery threads here on the forum and you will get an idea about how things will work.

Wow.Thanks you all for the warm welcome.I have browsed through some of the recovery threads as Jamie suggested looking for some advice on a particular concern I have, but didn't see anything, mabye someone has had a similar experince to share.I've had a few surgeries before, 2 knee scopes,acl repair and both shoulders done.Last October after waking up in recovery for my left shoulder it seemed i couldn.t catch my breath,and they wanted me too try and cough.Well it was difficult and felt like my airway would get blocked.They had me use some plastic breathing exerciser and took it home and it gradually got better (about 12hrs)My question is has anyone else experieced this?This most likely will be the longest I will be under for,does that mean I can expect even more difficulty because of the extended anethesia time?They didn't seem overly concerned before but I know I was,It scared the heck out of me.-Paul

Paul, Josephine, our forum nurse (or one of the other nurse members) will probably have an idea what was going on. I'm sure it was pretty routine (for them) or they wouldn't have sent you home. You have to remember that these surgeries are a HUGE deal for you but just another day at the office for your medical team. I'm sure you'll have no problems, but do tell the doctors about your experience so they can watch you carefully.

I have had to take home a breathing piece before after surgery.

It is a tube with a little ball in it and a tube attached that you blow into the tube to make the ball rise to the top.

I had to use it in the hospital and at home for a couple of weeks.

I would not worry though as each surgery is different and you will probably breeze through it

I've always had one in my room, but no one has ever shown me what the heck to do with it. I brought the last one home, not sure why.
judy

hI pAUL! wELCOME! yOU WILL DO GREAT! 10/22 IS A LUCKY DAY! iT'S MY BIRTHDAY! i WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW WELL YOU'RE DOING ONCE YOU'RE "ON THE OTHER SIDE!":thmb::thmb:
:wink:

The breathing device you guys are describing is routine in most hospitals. The idea is that you need to take deep breaths to keep your lungs clear when you are spending so much time lying on your back. Is that what you were sent home with, Paul? Or was it something different?

Judy, a physical therapist sould have brought the breathing device in to you and showed you how to use it. Normally they monitor how well your breathing is going on a daily basis. As I recall, you were having other issues going on that may have taken priority over this normal breathing exercise.

Last October after waking up in recovery for my left shoulder it seemed i couldn.t catch my breath,and they wanted me too try and cough.Well it was difficult and felt like my airway would get blocked.They had me use some plastic breathing exerciser and took it home and it gradually got better (about 12hrs)

My question is has anyone else experieced this? This most likely will be the longest I will be under for,does that mean I can expect even more difficulty because of the extended anethesia time? They didn't seem overly concerned before but I know I was,It scared the heck out of me.-Paul

Well, don't worry - this is a whole other thing. See, when you have your shoulder operated upon, it impacts upon your chest muscles and the shoulder girdle is a goodly part of that structure. That's why you felt you couldn't catch your breath. People get the same when they crack a rib or somesuch. It was actually almost nothing to do with the actual anaethetic.

This won't be the same. For one thing, they'll likely give you a spinal so you'll never lose the function of your chest muscles, even if they knock you out for the duration of the op.

Please don't give it a second thought. It will be just fine.

Ahhh,now I can breathe easier(pun intended).Had a pre-op physical today and the P.A. said the same thing as everyone,the same plastic lung exerciser, for prevention of fluid in lungs because i will be laying for awhile.Josephine,you lit a candle of thought for me when you wrote how the shoulder surgery affects the chest muscles.I remember they gave me a pre-anethesia nerve block in my neck(my arm was flopping around like fish out of water),and that was the cause of the labored breathing.During the satisfaction survey at discharge they asked if "any suggestions to make proceedures more comfortable?".I let them know patients would probably prefer to be asleep BEFORE they stab them repeately in the neck(think he missed his mark a few times)with a harpoon.A big anxiety-now gone!Thanks all,your replies were surely appreciated.
Paul

lol I agree that cant be to comforting....Ouch..........good suggestion though......wish ya the best i hope you continue posting.......good luck to you.........)

Ah yes - that would explain it!

I wanted to reply to this post the other day, but i didnt have access to the computer and was trying to reply using the cell phone, for some reason i could log in , but couldnt figure out for the life of me how to post. Anyway. Sorry about your breathing problem. I remember after each one of my THR's that ol funky looking breathing appraratus. It is because i believe that they put you under and to avoid any fluid in the lungs, you have to try and make the balls go up up up! This is only precautionary and i never woke up from surgery with a problem breathing, so not to worry!!
deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties