Lounge Doctor

THR Medications - pre Hip replacement

lizard615

Country
United States United States
Hey everyone… I was just wondering what kind of medications everybody takes pre hip replacement. I am on gabapentin and tramadol. I can’t imagine not taking them because I can feel my hip bones rubbing against each other. Ouch. I was just curious! My surgery is scheduled for August 4… Preop on Monday, July 6! Our cases are climbing Here in North Carolina. We do have our own orthopedic hospital which is where I’ll be going so that may be a plus! I hope everyone has a safe and happy Fourth of July.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The only thing I was on pre surgery was Arthritis Tylenol and Celebrex. The Celebrex I take for thumb issues but I was hoping it would help the hip also. Nothing really works for the awful OA hip pain. When I was waiting for my knee surgery I was even taking Vicodin and it did not touch it so stopped. I used a cane to help take pressure off the joint and babied it as much as possible before surgery.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was just wondering what kind of medications everybody takes pre hip replacement.
I was only prescribed an anti-inflammatory. It worked at first but when the real bone on bone pain started it didn't do a thing. Use a cane or crutch to take some of the weight off that sore hip.

Sorry you have to wait so long!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I was taking Tramadol, also. My surgery was still weeks away and was trying to continue to work, which meant long hours on my feet.:gaah:
So, the surgical Group prescribed it and it helped, especially at night when the pain seemed to ramp up.
Didn’t take Gabapentin until post operatively.
Good luck with your long wait, hopefully you are able to rest and ice To gain some relief.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
First hip I was taking ibuprofen only. Going off it for a week pre-op was horrid. Second hip I added the Arthritis tylenol to that for an extra layer of help. I still take the tylenol (but the ibuprofen would work better....) for other arthritic joints.

Tramadol makes me warm and a tiny bit sleepy but gives no pain relief. I had a filled rx for percocet pre-second hip, but don't like taking it anyway because I feel awful after about a day and a half, so only take it for surgical pain. I wasn't aware of celebrex and meloxicam at the time.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Celebrex or Meloxicam are prescription anti-inflammatory medications. You would only take one or the other. I had Meloxicam before surgery (which did little if anything for my bone on bone pain) and Celebrex after. Actually had two rounds of Celebrex due to my significant inflammation. I was taking Gabapentin before for other reasons so continued after and Tramadol but it didn’t really help until after surgery. I did not have to stop the Gabapentin and Tramadol until the morning of surgery. So, I guess it really depends on an individual’s situation and physiological response and their OS’s protocol. I’m just glad you have the surgery and its relief in your near future.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I was taking Tramadol and Tylenol both by the time surgery rolled around. Unfortunately most meds pre-op don't really do much, if you're lucky they take a little of the edge off.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I tried ALL the meds...NSAIDS, muscle relaxers, even opiates.
Finally resigned to be miserable and sleep deprived until surgery as my system didn't appreciate the meds.
Heating pad helped soothe but honestly, I feel like giving my system a break from medications that weren't working was best and then when I did have meds for post op pain, they worked well.

Lucy4

Country
I’ve been taking Advil like it’s candy and all kinds of ointments. I was just old nothing but tylenol and Biofreeze for the next week until surgery. I’m thinking I’ll be really happy when my surgery gets here.

TomT

Country
The doctor never offered me any paid medication, I do dose myself with 800 ibuprofen and I soak in the hot tub and use icey hot a lot.

Creampuff

Country
I am on Celebrex and prior to that took Ibuprofen. I can take the Celebrex up until surgery so I sm grateful for that. I am getting some kind of cocktail immediately preoperative that may include gabapentin.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wardiva
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom