medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallman3

have been on medication almost two weeks now [voltare?] no pain at all today after walking about an hour , supposed to take two pills a day but have been taking one because of the possible side effects I read about and one seems too doing pretty well, somewhat puzzled since the os said the hip was worn out . I know the med. is not replacing anything, maybe cutting down on the inflamation or something . one other thing I have noticed that it is easier too tie my left shoe as my leg will bend up father but not as far as the right one. Time will tell but when it limits what I can do I will have something done . I can still walk bettter than I can type Tallman

Hi there, tallman. Nice to hear from you again.

I googled voltare but couldn't find that. Do you perhaps mean Voltarol? This is an NSAID* and does a dual purpose of reducing inflammation and pain. But you're right, it does have consequences in that it can cause increased gastric acid and inflammation of the stomach wall. And all NSAIDs used long term can cause gastric bleeds. But you have to be either using it consistently for a very long time (daily for 1-2 yrs, perhaps) or susceptible to it's side effects, meaning already having gastric problems.

However, in the short term, about 6 months or so, and given no previous gastric history, there shouldn't be a problem. But never the less, a little caution is a healthy and wise thing.

And at the end, you are seeing the effectiveness of this excellent medication. The inflammation seems to have resided and the pain with it, so you are more mobile and comfortable.

Long may it continue!!

*NSAID=Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug

I am wondering if antinflammatory medication would help my swelling. ( Post up 12 weeks). I cannot take by mouth due to history of gastriculcers caused by Nsaids .I hear one can take by suppositories ,would that still effect the stomach?

Sadly, yes. The drug would still get into your system and end up in the tissues of the stomach.

It's not the presence of the tablet in the stomach that causes the problem, you see, it's the drug in your system that stimulates the stomach into increasing the amount of acid it produces. And this irritates the stomach wall to such a degree that inflammation, ulcers and even bleeds can occur.

It may be that you could take a limited amount via the rectum, they do make Voltarol suppositories, but you would need to discuss it with your doctor first. My feeling is that he would not recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562