BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Medicare and getting recovery equipment before the surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by ApricotPie, Jun 12, 2019.

1. ApricotPie

ApricotPie member

United States United States
    I have a small list of things I want to get and have in place before my TKR surgery. The list includes a shower stool, walker, ice machine and one of those fancy pillows to elevate the leg without bending it to much.

People tell me that Medicare will pay for the equipment, but how in the world does that happen if I order it a few weeks before the surgery (I want to make sure I have it in place and allow for delays.) I don't want to drag home a bunch of stuff the day after my surgery, nor do I want my caregivers to have to figure out which model or size I need.

If you have experience with Medicare and TKR, I would appreciate hearing from you.

2. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

Medicare pays for a walker, 3in 1bedside commode. The ice machine is part of the hospital charge. Medicare doesn’t pay for “ convenience items” , only medical necessity. I am referring only Medicare A/b with a medigap. If you have an advantage (part c ) you need to contact your plan.
    Also the case manager at the hospital will help coordinate your discharge.

3. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 graduate

If you don't want those items as part of your personal permanent collection, municipalities often have medical equipment closets for loan of said items.. Also check with your hospital.. They may require you to show up for surgery with a specific type of walker. Check with them ( there is usually a Resource Manager) to find sources and requirements for what the hospital expects you to bring. If I fail to show up with a walker at surgery time I will get sent home. That is their policy.

I just borrowed a walker from my neighbor.. I was able to function fine without the rest on your list. My bathroom is ten feet from my bed so a commode was not something I wanted. If you don't have a handy bathroom it might be a good idea ( or if you have one of those 14 inch toilets you might want a riser. I hated it even though I had a 14 inch high toilet.. It made a big mess on the floor but you wont have the same problem) I was sent home with a Cryovac which is not a Game Ready but was sufficient for my kneeds.. As it was part of the hospital bundle it was covered by my Medicare Advantage Plan. You really need to check with your insurance plan to find out how costs are covered. Medicare is unfortunately not one size fits all.

4. winemama

winemama senior

Check your plan. We put a call out to friends, and family and got everything we needed. To me the biggest item is an ice machine, and a raised toilet seat with arms The hospital should send you home with a walker

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand