Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Medial pole arthritis

cannygirl

LTKR December 11, 2017
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’ve finally been diagnosed with this medial pole arthritis in my right hip which, because it presents differently to average osteoarthritis in the hip, has been dismissed as pain from the back. Finally this week, I got a surgeon (privately) who knew what he was looking and rapidly made the diagnosis for but over the last decade, I’ve been fobbed off. I’ve been putting extra pressure on the left side where I had a TKR exactly 2 years ago. I will have months to wait for surgery. This is the NHS in the UK. Is there any information or advice about this kind of issue?

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
So sorry for your frustration and mis diagnosis. I am not in the UK but it seems to be very common to misdiagnose hip issues with back issues. I spent about a year with spine injections and PT that was painful as well as chiropractic treatments for my back when it was my left hip all along. From reading here it seems to happen a lot with back/hip issues. I then had to wait for my surgery since I wanted the surgeon who successfully did both of my knees and he is very good and very busy. I believe I had to wait about 5m. It was not easy so I understand your feelings and frustration in wanting to get to recovery.

All I can offer is to spend that time trying not to aggravate your hip, use a cane and lots of rest. Ask for any anti inflammatories that might decrease the pain a bit - nothing really takes it away. I found Arthritis Tylenol helped a bit if I took it regularly. It is not easy to wait for relief. I hope they get you a surgery date soon so at least you have a date to focus on for relief.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@cannygirl I had the same experience having my left hip pain being diagnosed as spinal issues. It is very frustrating and debilitating!

From what we have discussed here, your arthritis is in a different area of the joint. But the issues are the same as with any OA patient - pain and many times pelvic tilt.

All I can suggest is to get yourself a cane or crutch and try and keep the weight off that side as much as you can. I did use a TENs when I was waiting for my LTHR. It takes the edge off but unfortunately there are really no solutions for bone on bone pain.

Do you know which hospital you will have your surgery in? Have you looked up the wait times? It is a tough time here in the UK for anyone waiting for "elective" surgery. You certainly have my sympathy!

OP
OP
cannygirl

cannygirl

LTKR December 11, 2017
Country
Thank you very much for both these encouraging responses. Here in Scotland, we are doing better with A&E but waiting lists for elective hips are 6-9 months. My problem is that I NEED good exercise for my overall health and weight. Actually I tend to often have delayed pain response to exercise. I get pain on weight bearing - going upstairs, striding as opposed to strolling. I’m putting too much pressure on my left side now.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It sounds as if your best plan would be to concentrate on upper-body exercises, and avoid exercise that puts demands on your legs.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I'm so sorry that I read you are delayed due to the current health crisis.
Hang in there...stay as healthy as possible.

Much sympathy here.:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom