TKR Medial Collateral Ligament

Scooby22

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there, I had left knee tkr on 9th December 2019. 63 years old. I’ve been progressing slowly but well with pain free walking for first time in more than 10 years. Now I’ve developed painful symptoms on inner side of knee. I think it’s an injury to the medial collateral ligament. Not sure how or when but there can be catching sensation and it is painful when straightening knee, particularly if there is a slight twist. Also have tender spot. If I am very steady, slow and careful, no pain. It’s hard because I have to move in slow motion to avoid pain.
I’m resting it at the moment with pain killers and basic strengthening exercises to work on stability. Understand that patience is needed but I’m wondering whether to go back or contact my consultant. Just wondering if anyone has advice about Medial Collateral Ligament pain or similar. Thanks

:welome: to BoneSmart

I can't personally help with your particular symptoms, sorry, but there are many readers here and some will be able to. Taking it easy, as you are doing, is the best general approach for now. Here is some general background:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Now I’ve developed painful symptoms on the inner side of the knee.
I had something very similar to this a couple of years ago. See if this sounds like it:

My OS sent to PT for ultrasound only. I had 8 treatments and it disappeared. If it comes back I will buy my own ultrasound machine from Amazon. I watched carefully how she did it so I know what to do.

. Now I’ve developed painful symptoms on inner side of knee. I think it’s an injury to the medial collateral ligament.
It's usually not a good idea to self-diagnose and I'm afraid we can't diagnose the cause of your pain via the internet, so I think the best thing to do is contact your surgeon and discuss your new symptom with him/her. Even if they aren't seeing people in person, some surgeons are doing teleconferencing.

Do you think you could have done anything to cause an injury to your medial collateral ligament (MCL), or did the pain come on slowly? Could you have overdone the walking a little?
Does icing that side of your knee help to reduce the pain at all?

Try not to twist your knee - my TKRs are 8 years and 5 years old and the only thing they don't like is being twisted.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I am coming to the conclusion that I must have twisted my knee slightly while out walking. Pain is very localised at side of knee and doesn’t shoot up towards thigh. That’s why it seems to be ligament injury or similar.

It can’t have been a traumatic or severe twist and I don’t remember how or when. It has just continued to worsen day by day. Now I am very conscious of how I move the knee. As mentioned, am moving very slowly to avoid pain. Good news is that I can

I’ve reduced the amount of walking, have started wearing a gentle knee Support bandage, this seems to help. Also taking anti- inflammatories and using ice pack. Will see how it goes for next few days.

hoping to get back on golf course soon to hit a few balls so fingers crossed.

You're doing all the right things and I hope you soon start to feel some improvement.

When you get back to playing golf, do be careful about twisting your knee when you swing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom