THR Mcane21's Recovery Thread

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
Hi guys I’m awake lol. Everything went well! A slight bit of discomfort on my right side but I now have to adjust to sleeping on my backside only. The doc dropped in yesterday and said everything went well and that the hip joint sure did need that replacement. My muscles feel oh so weak and it seems a mission to walk to the door and back using a stroller. But I feel a slight improvement daily with strength. My partner arrives this afternoon which will be great! If anyone has any questions to ask me feel free to drop a line :)

Attachments

• DF642E46-CBD8-4781-BD6E-4B266EEC7707.jpeg
    DF642E46-CBD8-4781-BD6E-4B266EEC7707.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 6F4A8DBF-5088-495C-A772-6F8B25F4E86E.jpeg
    6F4A8DBF-5088-495C-A772-6F8B25F4E86E.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 385
@mcane21
Welcome to the OtherSide!
You will notice I have started your recovery thread, please keep you recovery posts in this thread, having your information in one place will allow us to better advise you.

Glad your surgery is behind you and you are on your way to recovery.

Here is your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Hello :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Welcome to Recovery! Congrats on your new hip. It's nice to hear you're doing well.

If anyone has any questions to ask me feel free to drop a line :)

Please feel free to ask us any questions also. We'd love to support and encourage you as you begin the healing journey.

All the best to you!
@mcane21

So glad you are all done and dusted friend!:yes!:
Sending healing mojo your way...:friends:

Welcome to the healing side! :welome: Right now you're job is to rest, sleep whenever possible, elevate and ice, ice, ice! :ice: I pretty much iced anytime I was up and actively moving around.
Wishing you the best holidays, take it slow and easy.
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::banana-santa:

Not a bad night. Getting better with the transfer from walker to cane. Slept pretty bad last night as the mrs was snoring darn loudly lol. But already getting the hang of it. Thigh muscle activated and progressing very well I think. I’ve and rest/elevation helps it aplenty!

Hello :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Keep taking the meds on schedule, icing / elevating and getting enough rest. Please don't get too ambitious, too soon. Pretty early days for transferring from walker to cane so don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself. You're doing well for only three days post op.

I'm going to leave the Activity Progression For THR in case you haven't read through the Recovery Articles above. Please use it as a rough guideline. I referenced it often early on to stay within the safe zone Activity wise, not stalling out my recovery.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
@mcane21

:wave:So glad to hear you are getting around okay.
Slow and steady does win this race as baby steps will add up to Big Strides.
Sending healing vibes and best wishes for a great 2020.
:banana-santa:

Merry Xmas to all guys! Thanks so much for the support the last few days and all the advice given. Couldn’t have done this without you all! Put your feet up and enjoy the festivities!

:wave:Hope you are settling into a recovery routine and staying chilled!:ice:
All temporary.

Let me know how 2020 is looking since you get to be there before me!!

Happy New Years to everyone! I have been tracking pretty decently. Ups and downs. My muscles seem to be switching on now particularly in the quads. I’m still using my cane and actually walked around the shopping centre today. It felt nice. Still a lot of rest, ice and elevation. I saw my physio and he said I was tracking pretty well especially only 11 days raw. The swelling has reduced a lot and the incision looks healthy (not infected) so I reckon everything’s going swell! I’ll update in the NY people’s! Have a great year ahead!!!

Glad to hear that all is well..well, not well...but getting well.:) :-) (:
It is amazing how our bodies can heal if we can stay patient and let them.

I think I win the prize for twitchiest legs ever. They just didn't like to stay in any one position for long.
It does get better....so keep the faith, friend.:tada:

Did anyone have any muscle spasms/muscle problems 2 weeks in after surgery? My leg muscles are all over the place at the moment.

Everyone and every hip reacts different. Muscle spasms, traveling pain and then the pinches,pulls and electric shocks add to the show. Might last a while,Good diet can help. Overdoing will cause pain,spasms and cramps also.

Everyone and every hip reacts different. Muscle spasms, traveling pain and then the pinches,pulls and electric shocks add to the show. Might last a while,Good diet can help. Overdoing will cause pain,spasms and cramps also.
Ok cool just wasn’t sure if this was normal or not that’s all. Cheers mate :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom