THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hello @Mayhip8
I certainly hope you're feeling better by now. You've suffered more than your share, it's time things start looking up. Hopefully your hip isn't too bothersome and you're able to hold out for a time that will work best for you. Get lots of rest and feel better soon!

Thanks everybody for your lovely messages they warm the cockles of my heart.:roseshwr:

I still don’t have any answers to the Cause of the throat blisters but they are not as painful so I’m going back to work tonight, my head gets too stressy when it’s not doing something useful! And my bank balance decreases when I don’t get paid! :dubious:
I need to get some blood tests later in the week once everything comes back okay I shall start the ball rolling to get my right hip sorted, it’s painful but manageable.
I hope the storm hasn’t affected everybody in the UK too badly
And that everyone else feel safe and comfortable
sending cheerful Tuesday greetings
:flwrysmile::loveshwr:

I hope the storm hasn’t affected everybody in the UK too badly
It's been a wild couple of days here on the East Yorkshire coast. Lots of property damage due to the high winds and many areas flooded. My nerves are shot from listening to the wind endlessly and worrying about what it might do next.

Hope you are safe and warm @Mayhip8 !

So sorry to hear about the scary weather
Ours has not been scary, just dreary.
Next weekend we will leave for the South and get a break.
@Mayhip8 im so glad to hear you are having some recovery. No matter what my personal issues were I was able to set them aside at work and was the better for it, and I'm sure you do too. I was also glad to hear the manageable part in reference to your hip pain. Godspeed to getting a surgery date!
We are well here, hub is getting cardioverted on 3/4. I had a trip to the eye doc today and they've given me the green light for cataract surgery. Over the last year my vision is affected and my night driving is getting a little challenging. So, after wearing glasses and contacts since the age of 7 I'll only need glasses for reading! Very excited about that.
We will all be happy to see spring this year it seems and we'll be celebrating year hipversaries before you know it!
Stay safe and dry.,
Love to all:roseshwr:

Hoping your weather has settled @Mayhip8 Throat blisters sounds terrible. Hope you get relief soon. Love your comment about your head getting stressy without something useful to do. Truth! Might be the hardest part of recovery. Hope you feel better soon! :flwrysmile:

Thank you @Fit4Family I feel in a much better place now I have a use and purpose that I enjoy. My swabs came back negative so I guess I’m just rundown.

@ahipgma you have got a lot going on ! I hope your husband continues to improve and his heart just beat for you on Valentine’s Day, in the normal sinus rhythm . Cataract surgery so successful isn’t it? My mum had hers done at the beginning of last year, she is 87 and has worn glasses all of the time I’ve known her, until after the surgery now she doesn’t need glasses it took a while to adjust to the change in her face!

@ChrissyW Hope all is well with you and the term was kind to you, you’re off to Cannes soon if I remember correctly ? I hope you have a fabby time.

We did survive last week storm Ciara, however storm Dennis is on its way, which means no walks in the park is at the moment as their closed for safety, which is a bit silly, because I think all the trees are blown away now.! So I’m going to listen to music and drink coffee.
have a :) Saturday everybody
sending love and hugs:loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::friends:

Mmm coffee and music sound lovely! I listen to a lot of what we call the American Songbook, Sinatra and his like. And jazz and classical!!! We have sunshine today, what a novelty and a treasure! I'm about to put on my walking shoes and go out, trying to build my stamina for Italy. My darn left leg still is giving me trouble from time to time, not sure why, its 6 months out!? Pain that makes me limp then it dissipates and I'm fine. Ari remains with us till Sunday afternoon then her moms night shifts are over and her dad comes back from his conference so the family will be reunited and I can start packing for our trip to Georgia and Florida.
Not glam like Cannes, @ChrissyW but warm and near the ocean!
Cant believe it's the middle of February already, before you know it it'll be May and we'll have hipversaries of ONE YEAR.!!
I never ask dear @mayhip8but how is your bionic hip? Behaving beautifully? With all the angst and PT and healing, I'm still glad I had the surgeries.
Have a lovely weekend!:happydance:

Storm Dennis is pretty horrendous. Worse in the north but lots of rain and wind here in the south too. Threats of flooding locally.

Hope you feel better soon @Mayhip8 you have had a rough time!

My hip is pretty good apart from occasional cramps that have me yelling in the night. I am now addicted to bananas!

Hi everyone from a wet and windy and generally quite flooded UK! It’s awful what’s happening isn’t it? Luckily I’ve escaped the worst of it as we’re on a hill - I really feel for those people whose lives have been impacted by the weather and storms and rain.:sad:
@SurreyGirl thank you for your kind wishes, is it muscle cramps that cause you pain in your new hip? I have dreadful cramp in my arthritic hip - the one that’s waiting to be done, I try using magnesium spray oil, and add Epsom salts to my bath to increase absorption of magnesium which can help with muscle cramps. I don’t know if you’ve tried that?

@ahipgma you asked about my bionic hip - do you know yesterday I actually stood and thought to myself that it was the first day in nearly 18 months where I felt pain-free and generally normal. My hip that was replaced - the left one - still has some very mild tenderness to the muscle and a couple of sharp nervy areas to the scar which catches me at times, I can tell when I’ve put it through its paces increasing my walking /climbing/movement with it, I must admit I pay less attention to position and feel generally more natural my day to day moving . I’ve not been swimming since the onset of my viral throat thing and I’m a little worried about going again just in case it was germs in the swimming pool causing the problem, and I know that’s Irrational but there is a correlation between swimming and the onset of sore throats. I just don’t want to be unwell again!
The trapped nerve in my neck and shoulder has now settled in the last week, my mood has brightened, life seems to be getting back to some sense of normality, but still obviously have pain and immobility in my right hip, however there is little I can do this very moment in time apart from bide my time. I know all will be well in the end:curtsey:

We’re off to the hospital this afternoon about my husband needing some minor surgery, once we get his dates and his recovery then I’ll plough ahead with mine,
Obviously nothing is as was planned however as I said before more than once everything has its reason:yellowcat:
i’ll pop by again in a few days in the meantime I wish you all well, stay safe, stay warm and stay dry

Love and hugs:loveshwr::roseshwr::friends:

Yes I have seen the pictures of the flooded UK and the huge waves crashing on shore. It's been an exceptional stormy winter it seems, for the UK. Glad to hear you are on high ground.

Reminds me a bit of the floods in Houston, Texas and New Orleans a while back, minus the huge waves.

I am glad you are reflecting on the pool trips, as a possible source of your recent illnesses. You will find out soon enough if you stay well.

Good luck to your husband. I hope all will go well.

Hi @Mayhip8

You will laugh at this but I read about a batty remedy for cramp that involved putting a bar of soap in the bed. I did this and the cramps stopped until yesterday evening when I woke up yelling. Hubby then found the bar of soap in the bed! And couldn’t stop laughing. Anyway google it! A surprising number of people seem to think it works!

The cramp is in my non operated leg and I think I may have a hip problem there. I also have an annoying numb toe on my right foot too. Having had enough of hospitals for a while I really don’t want to see a GP for now.

Anyway glad you are so much better. Apart from stiffness in the morning I am about 110% back to normal and certainly heaps better than the two years before the op!

@Mayhip8

Glad to read you are feeling better and even better that you‘re pain free and generally feeling normal! Huge!!!! I am convinced that I picked up the flu at our REC center, so can relate to your trepidation of heading back. I wash my hands so much now that it looks like I have pink gloves on. Fingers crossed you avoid anymore illness this winter.

Since @SurreyGirl is telling you weird things to try for cramps. Seriously, soap?? Lol. I have had great success with pickle juice. One teaspoon a day and no more leg cramps at night. Hoping you can put off righty for long enough that your husband recuperates. Best of luck to you both! :loveshwr:

My apologies if I've left this info before @Mayhip8
Aside from Magnesium spray have you tried supplementing with it?

Magnesium may support the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. My mom does this and swears by it. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead. Not sure if you have the brand Q-Tonic in your grocery stores in the U.K. as we do here in the states.

Have a great weekend!

@SurreyGirl - Soap? Who would’ve thought of it? I did google it and there is masses of information out there about it - I’ve never even heard of it, I can’t promise I’ll be doing it myself however I move and twitch so much in bed it will probably end up being booted across the opposite side of the room!:heehee:

@Fit4Family , pickle juice? What fabulous suggestion ! I’m not sure that will sit well with my acid indigestion ! I do like using pickle juice instead of vinegar on my chips though, I’m just imagining the smell in the bedroom if I take pickle juice and go to bed with a bar of soap next to me, I think I might be encouraging the single life if I go ahead with these processes!:loll:

@Layla thank you for that link about magnesium ,I had looked into magnesium supplements but I think I resisted as it can cause irritation and read that the absorption of magnesium had a better uptake dermally, I think the spasm in my right thigh is literally when my hip gets stuck in the socket and sort of can’t move like it’s lost all the fluid, so I have to physically pull and push my leg to get it in a more comfortable position, it is an awful pain -it’s horrid really and it’s my right leg has caused me the most problems during and after recovering from the left leg surgery, I can’t take anti-inflammatories so I just have to grin and bear it I suppose for the moment until I can get it done.
I do like tonic water and can get the one with Quinine and no artificial sweeteners in some shops here, it tastes very nice with extra gin or vodka!:martini:

I hope everyone has a good weekend whatever you’re doing, @ahipgma enjoy your trip,@ChrissyW I hope your trip went well.
love and hugs :loveshwr::flwrysmile::roseshwr:

do you know yesterday I actually stood and thought to myself that it was the first day in nearly 18 months where I felt pain-free and generally normal

Just catching up...and so happy to see this.:) :-) (:
Hope the sun is out and shining.
Have a great weekend @Mayhip8

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member