THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Thanks @Calgal @ahipgma @Layla
yesterday was a blurry day- I took my daughter to the Doc Who confirmed tonsillitis and prescribed antibiotics( in fairness we waited three weeks I can’t stand the thought of antibiotics unnecessarily ) I think it is time to give them now .

My son remains post viral/ post migraine - he did manage to get up and about for a bit yesterday, and I just had one of those sleepy feverish days that you see patients in cowboy/ western / little house on the Prairie films !
I’m self-medicating, I did say to my husband if the fever doesn’t break he’ll need to get a horse and cart ready, and a bottle of whiskey to take to the doctor as he drives me over the Prairie to the next town!:sick::swoon:

The Blumin hate being unwell, I’m very impatient patient. I agree @Calgal May be the stress of major surgery and recovery last year has made us more susceptible to viruses and bugs et cetera.,
I’m sorry that we’re all feeling germy and unwell. My house smells of eucalyptus oil, another special oil mix to inhale, honey and lemon, and a constant pan of chicken soup simmering. Can’t say that any of its worked, but I do like a fragrant house!

on the plus side I did binge watch series 1 of ‘The crown ‘ on Netflix, a total eye-opener ! has anyone seen it?

@ahipgma , I wonder what the pain in your hip is caused by? Do you think you need to see somebody about it?
I do hope that we will start to feel better soon and that @ChrissyW you have swerved the germs this time, and that your return in the new term is going well, it’s a busy one isn’t it this year with prep for GCSEs et cetera ?

Series 2 of The crown awaits me and that’s what I’ll do today.
Sending love and healing hugs to you all:loveshwr::roseshwr:

Are you sure it wasn't from that scalding hot cheese pizza you sneakily snarfed? :rofsign:

Ah! now you come to mention it!… No I actually had just started to eat a Chinese takeaway, and there it was all of a sudden ! totally put me off my food (and that’s a rare thing.)
A similar thing happened to me before my surgery last April, I have no idea why -thankfully it’s resolving I just have to watch for localised infection as it’s right near my airways and it feels horrid. I can’t wait for it to heal. And then I’m going to order another Chinese takeaway!:snork::rofsign:xxx

Hello everyone. Sorry I've been missing but first week back at work has been hard! I've come home and seem to have fallen asleep in the chair most evenings! I've got bit of a cold, nose running lots but it's keep going with a pack of hankies in my pocket! I've got a parents evening next week, one the following week and mock exams starting on the 20th. They say no peace fir the wicked but I thought I'd been a good girl! Anyway it was nice to read everyone's post new year posts and glad you're all on the mend to some extent. My husband has got me a new year gym membership so I'm starting that at the weekend. It will be interesting what they say I'm ok to do because I'm seeing one of the trainers for an assessment and plan as they know I'm semi bionic! I've even ordered myself a new gym outfit but unfortunately I don't possess trainers so tennis shoes will have to do for now! I'm looking forward to it and when I saw the doctor for the achy shoulders that have been diagnosed as arthritic the doc suggested building up the muscle around the joint so I'm curious what the trainer thinks and what I'll be able to do. I'm sure the novelty will soon disappear or I'll find one piece of equipment and go on nothing else but hubby is going to be my gym buddy so here's to 2020! Oh and by the way an epic adventure was mentioned so count me in and let's get planning (especially lovely banquets I'm sure) xxx

Hellooo Mayhip ! Your blood blister sounds horrible.. I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be. Sounds like your best laid plans didn't pan out for this week but there's another new week right around the corner.
My husband and I watched The Crown and loved it. Eye opening is right.. glad you have something to keep your occupied.. hopefully you and your family will be better soon and you can get yourself back to the doctor, for your hip !

Happy Friday everyone!
Our gloomy weather continues but no snow so I'm grateful. Hate driving in it.
@Mayhip8 i hope you are feeling better, you've got alot on your plate. And working full time, and 2 children, etc. I feel like an escape is imminent (as @Chrissy mentioned) please somewhere hot and sunny.
We really are going toward better weather in February, visiting friends and relatives in the south for a week. It will be a nice escape!
Then in late April, early May---Italy. I'll be on your side of the Atlantic! That trip and Ari were reasons for my surgeries. That and the pain of course.
Speaking of which I went thru all my PT stretches that I had stopped doing over the holidays and it helped that left hip!!! They are pretty tedious to do but they stretch and strengthen that area. I know they say healing takes up to a year. The real solution would be to switch to a 30 year old body, but my daughter wouldn't trade.... oh well!
:roseshwr:and:friends:s to all!

I have watched The Crown series, too. Excellent entertainment for resting and enlightening at the same time. It certainly helps one understand the recent news.

and a constant pan of chicken soup simmering.
I am a big believer in fresh chicken soup. These days I add a bit more garlic, but you have younger ones. I hope everyone is well soon.

Hi everyone. Ive not watched the crown but over Christmas I watched both series of Oise and now I'm waiting for series 3 as I absolutely loved it!

@ChrissyW what’s oise? I’m not sure I understand if its a typo or acronym?
I think you would like The crown, it’s a bit of escapism with a bit of reality and a bit of loveliness and a bit of English reserved yet scheming behaviour (I have to say )and a bit of history that I didn’t know but right now explains a lot. I’m halfway through series 2, and teeny bit addicted!
I still feel a bit unwell and have a croaky voice and chest infection however the Sun was shining so I made the effort to get up and I managed to get out to the park today with my daughter as we are desperate for fresh air, we wrapped up warm ,took cough sweets and came across an 89-year-old lady who had fallen in the park! Couldn’t rule out her having a fractured hip - lots of people rallied round with warm clothes/blankets et cetera and we got an ambulance which arrived whilst I was there, hopefully I’ll be able to find that she’s okay, the strange thing I recall is I actually couldn’t get down on the floor to be with her as I don’t know how to! (Luckily there were others who could and I can stoop to bend quite low )

I finished my walk off did a bit of shopping for tea, came home and had a nice warming bath and returned to my nest,never a dull moment eh?
@ahipgma I could do with that 30-year-old body as well! I was pretty fit in my youth and glad I took advantage of it when I could, probably worn myself out!
@VSlowLife I do like garlic - our family likes a lot of garlic in our food too -I think that, turmeric and thyme have healing properties too.
right ladies and gents my house sounds like a sanatorium at the moment, with various members of the family coughing at regular intervals from their individual rooms, I think it’s Time to call it a night and turn in -or at least close my bedroom door so I can’t hear them!

Here’s hoping for a calm and peaceful night for everyone
:loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile::friends:

I hope your night is going well. Its 10pm here
I am going to take something for pain and something for my cough and pop off to bed soon. I did my stretches and went to the gym and the hip is flared up again. I'll give it another couple of weeks then trot off to see either PT or my OS or both. I guess I should hunt up my ice pack from days gone by...:ice:I want so much to be able to walk all over Italy in April. I dont feel like it's a failed surgery, just some muscle or tendon or something. I know exactly when it happened. I was switching legs while putting my jeans on, standing then I turned slightly while standing on my left leg and I felt something pull. It's like when you pull your back out, you know ?
Anyway @Mayhip8 , typical nurse, wanting to help someone fallen! I think about you and me and I remember walking behind older nurses as a young nurse and noticing how many of them gimped and limped.
Hmmm. I wouldn't have traded my 40 years for anything, it was very fulfilling-- just hard on the bod!
I have never seen the Crown.
I dont watch a lot of TV! Truth is strange enough!!! Except for Antiques roadshow.
Well this antique has had it, good night :yawn::sleep:and may we all cough less tomorrow!:flwrysmile:

Oops it should have said Pose!
@Mayhip8 your trip to the lark sounds eventful, hope the lady is well and @ahipgma hope whatever you pulled is not giving you too much trouble and remember 'ice, ice baby!'
I went to the gym this morning as I'm missing yoga and wanted to do something fitness wise so hubby treated me to membership. I'm seeing a personal trainer on Tuesday for an 'mot' and a what I can do and what not to do but today was good, I did a total of 25mins on the treadmill with it on an incline and some other machine stuff. I did have a go on this strange walking thing, seems to make your legs circle, like a standing bike but on,y managed a minute as it didn't feel comfortable on the thigh/hip so I'll see what the trainer suggests but I felt good after. I have gained some weight post surgery but in strange places (thighs and upper arms as things are only tighter in those areas!) and I don't feel like my diet has changed, but maybe it has, so being strict now watching calories carefully! As a contradiction to that I'm just about to get ready for a meal out but in my defence the menu dies have numerous dishes lower in calories (all below 600cals) and as I've been good today a treat can be had .
Enjoy the evening my lovelies and happy weekend to all
Hugs xxx

Hi all
another week has passed and we continue to be bogged down by illness.. My right hip has been going into spasm at night- I can't say its when I'm sleeping I don't feel Ive slept for more than 90 mins at a time this year!
I had good training in coping with insomnia from shift work and more recently post op left hip recovery... Its frustrating though
I 'm just coughing, hurting,have a sore throat again, feeling a bit gloomy tbh - mainly I've been nursing the others in my "hospital at home" but think that a visit to the docs may be called for if I don't improve over the weekend.
I've finished "The Crown" ..(although a new drama from the royal family is being played out in the real world- unscripted!)
@ChrissyW I might take a look at the pose - I think I watched the first couple and then forgot to catch up! How's your time at the Gym been?
@ahipgma how is your tendon/muscle feeling now ? you need to be mended for that amazing Italian trip in April.I expect you are feeling quite excited about it - is your hubby keeping well?
@Calgal hope you are recovering from the sneezles and such, did you escape the recent stormy weather?
well for now I'm off to drink yet more lemon tea and might go back to bed- I've been up since 03.30hrs still, I've caught up on paperwork and some quiet odd jobs,
sending :loveshwr::friends::roseshwr:
and hoping for a safe, yet adventurous and happy weekend xxx

another week has passed and we continue to be bogged down by illness.. My right hip has been going into spasm at night- I can't say its when I'm sleeping I don't feel Ive slept for more than 90 mins at a time this year!
Sorry to hear sickness continues. Yes, I have turmeric every morning (not the week before surgery) and I love some fresh thyme, especially lemon thyme in home made onion soup, with a bit of garlic. My dad would put his head with a towel over it, over a hot pot of soup, when he got a bad cold. I think it was a technique from his grandparents from the “old world,” to help the sinuses. (Heat off) I prefer to use a hot shower on my face.

I can’t imagine waking every 90 minutes. Glad to hear you are considering seeing your doctor.

Sometimes a little heat from a mattress heating pad on my half of the bed helps relax things, too, (before surgery) so I can get back to sleep.

I hope you feel better soon.

So sorry you are still under the weather and righty is acting up @Mayhip8 . :sad:. I'm still hacking off and on. I've resorted to using my steroid asthma inhalers again twice a day which seems to be soothing my poor lungs. We battened down the hatches during the recent storms, weren't they nasty?! I only had to run out to the garden a couple of times to rescue things blowing away. Sending you healing hugs so hopefully you can get righty on the mend soon. :console2:

Hi everyone
@Mayhip8 ,its funny I cant seem to shake this thing I have that as soon as 10pm hits, i start to cough. I'm sorry to hear you and
Yours are still ailing. Made an appointment at the PT for Wednesday to have him evaluate my left hip. It's this doggone stealth pain that one day it's my lateral hip, then my thigh then down around my knee. I honestly dont believe it's my prosthesis because some days I dont have much pain at all. But I still feel it's a setback and yes I want to be in good shape for our trip.
Hub sees the electrophysiologist for his heart Tuesday. Medication? Cardioversion?
Tikosyn? Ablation? Nothing and watch? We'll see....hes in a fib all the time but asymptomatic. It's the heart so its concerning, though.
We've had a wave of cold weather and cant complain because it is January. After all. Been loving this mild winter, though. Looking forward to spring....
@Calgal I wish you well, that hacking is tough especially when its weeks on end.
@ChrissyW i hope your self improvement scheme is going well. My diet is good somedays and somedays not. And in addition at 63 everything starts falling so!
Ugh. It almost 1 am so I guess I'd better fall into bed and let the nightly hacking begin!:sigh:
Love and wellness to all!

Good morning lovelies and I hope you are well. Well we are all 8 months plus since those first early days so hope we are going strong and that any of the aches and pains are just short term niggles and you @Mayhip8 any news becoming bilateral? Loving my gym membership and met with a personal trainer for an exercise plan this week so I've been 4 times over the week, just over an hour session each time and the plan is designed around no pressure on the hip but I'm really enthused by it, :treadmill:I've never been a proper gym member before and thought I'd not enjoy it but there you go! @Mayhip8 are you still managing to get to swim and how are you feeling overall? You once mentioned a sauna so I'm presuming we are OK using them? What about steam room? I have managed to escape a heavy cold so far, had a runny nose for a bit and it comes back but it hasn't caused me any real problems so sorry you've each appeared to gave had a version of the dreaded 'lurgy'! Diet wise hiw are we all? I must say I've been quite good, with the occasional lapse, and I'm enjoying the increased number or vegan or veggie options even though I'm not vegan myself I've tried a good few options and I'm definetly a flexitarian who can happily go without meat for a few days and in reality it's only chicken that I'm a fan of and often only eat other types now out of courtesy. Anyone else trying anything new? Anyway I should think about getting dressed and getting ready for the day so hugs to all and enjoy your day xxx:friends:

@chrissyso glad to hear you're loving your gym. We belong to one too and I pretty much use the machines in the main room but there is so much else offered, classes and such.
If you can work it around your job, sometimes you just want to go home and slow down and relax!
@Mayhip8 will your previous surgery cancellations count as they consider your surgery scheduling? With all the slow recovery at times the replacements are a blessing for me and I hope for bilateral for you soon!
Hubs out shoveling snow today. :snow plough:Grandaughter and daughter coming for a sleepover! They live an hour and 30 minutes away, so looking forward to seeing them.
Hope all are safe and warm and moving toward full recovery!

Hi all
I still have enlarged tonsils and can’t talk without coughing in a very dramatic way!! I’ve consumed all things lemon and honeyish , so will go see my GP in the morning for a strep test I think,My son developed an allergy to penicillin he has been taking for his tonsillitis yesterday so last evening we spent a few hours at the Out of Hours ( where I work ) he’s ok now, and goes for more blood test tomorrow, @Chrissy I’ve not been able to swim for a few weeks since this bug hit me- I can tell I need to move as I get stiff andspasms- I will hopefully discuss getting listed for the Wrightinton for my second hip, a colleague has just had hers done ( day 4) and recommended a surgeon- I just need to get better! My diet has gone to pot - I’m munching all sorts of soft stuff and drinking buckets of tea- I’ve not put weight on as such just not lost much more since New year. I’m glad You’re enjoying your time at the gym, I loved going in the sauna and steam room As long as the wound had healed I dont see any reason why it would be detrimental - I know I joked at the beginning about the prosthesis getting hotter and me being like a kebab but nothing like that happened:heehee:
@ahipgma It will be lovely to have your daughter and granddaughter for a sleepover I’m sure - lots of girly sharing times, I hope the snow settles and doesn’t become a problem for you walking on it,
yesterday was very springlike here and I did manage to take a trip out to a nearby town with the family as I was desperate for some fresh air and also to buy some new poetry books with some gift vouchers I got for Christmas.
The weather here today is a right“ peasouper,” it’s very strange I’ve never seen it this foggy and misty and cold for years many years, so we stayed in today and had an arts afternoon, sat around the table writing, drawing ;sketching and generally having some time out, it’s been really lovely, and now I’m having a little rest before we rejoin to have a chicken dinner.

So it’s been a pleasant weekend despite the lurgies
let’s hope these germs disappear soon yes?

Have a restful rest of Sunday
:roseshwr::loveshwr::friends::flwrysmile:

@Mayhip8 ----Yes to the germs leaving! Our weekend was cut a little short by Ari getting a sick tummy and vomiting. I hope we will not move on then from respiratory to gastrointestinal. ..
The fear of norovirus rearing its ugly head.
I'm sure you'll overcome these setbacks and get back on your weight loss and exercise track. Fingers crossed for your next surgery plan! Your prosthesis is a part of you now and a good part, too, and no worries about becoming a kabob, either unilateral or bilateral!!!
We are trying not to whine about temps in the 20s because we have had a really mild winter, because it IS January after all. Here our 2 worst months are Jan. and Feb.
I can seem to stay away from chocolate or sweets lately and havent gotten on the scale in a while... hmmm. It is hard to stick to an eating plan for sure.
Lots of things coming this week so we'll see how it goes! :flwrysmile: love to all

I hope very soon, you both will be healthy.

will go see my GP in the morning for a strep test I think,My son developed an allergy to penicillin he has been taking for his tonsillitis yesterday so last evening we spent a few hours at the Out of Hours ( where I work ) he’s ok now, and goes for more blood test tomorrow,

An ear infection now!
flippin’ eck!!!
!I know it could be worse and I know I’m going to be better soon, and I’m going to take this opportunity to start writing and carry on with some artwork as there must be a reason why I’ve been given the space away from my normal hectic life.

Sending everyone love, from a distance, with a face mask on.:loveshwr::roseshwr::loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom