THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@Mayhip8 there is a definite difference in chocolates here. Family run chocolate companies have very different chocolate than the ones @Layla mentioned. We have a few in my city that make handmade chocolates. They are pricey but oh so good.
As hard as my daughter has tried, Ari has gotten hold of and loves pizza, chocolate, jelly beans, cheese popcorn, and vodka. ( ha. just kidding about the vodka) but we actually have to spell popcorn and jelly beans, not say it, you know how that goes! Or she has a conniption and demands some!
I am hearing you say that you had a worse hip and that was done first, thank goodness! You have a wonderful positive attitude and that will carry you through, and when the time comes we will shake the dust off our pompoms and cheer you through! One of mine was as bad as the other, so luckily for me I was able to get both done. Still have some stiffness and aches in both legs but absolutely nothing like before. I see many reassurances that healing continues on into the first year. FINALLY had my teeth cleaned, they made me wait 3 months after #2 to let them work on my mouth and I had to premedicate with a whopper dose of antibiotic to boot. I have to always do that now. Oh well.
You know, I am waiting to miss work but I dont miss the stress. I worked the float pool and never knew where I was going till I got there that day. They always work you short staffed here and between my poor hearing, my bad legs and my lameness with all things computer charting it was time for me to go.
But I do miss the patient contact and my colleagues. Nursing is very fulfilling and satisfying work. Its takes you out of yourself as you care for your patients-- always a good thing. My hub says we do Gods work!
Also doing Gods work are teachers, @ChrissyW , for sure!!! Preparing young minds, being compassionate and caring with young ones. I loved it when my girls had good teachers. Your garlands are beautiful, Christmassy and natureish too!
Thinking of you as I prepare a pan of lasagna for some company tomorrow. Hubs home made meatballs and sauce. Yum!
Love and hugs and 20 days till Christmas!!!☃️

I had a really weird experience on Thursday evening... my operated hip /leg really hurt! Like the moderate pain I experienced post op .. ( 6 months ago) I felt physically nauseated and kind of fluey... so much so I had to leave work.. my face was flushed and I just felt’ out of sorts’ .. I came home and went to bed but couldn’t sleep as the pain was bad.. I was so worried! I took 30mg codiene and 1 gramm paracetamol ..eventually ( 3.30 ish am ) I fell asleep then woke at 7am .. I went for a swim as I thought the exercise might help ( my desk job/ triage has been so hectic recently I wondered if that had exacerbated the pain? ) and thought moving the joint would help.. it sort of did - but I couldn’t settle all day and did loads of stuff- cleaning/ shopping/ housework to distract myself . I went to bed early on the Friday and took a very low dose codeine (8 mg/ 1 gramm paracetamol) slept dreadfully as had awful nightmares! This morning ( Saturday) couldn’t stay in bed past 7 am and felt full of - I want to say ‘narkiness’ emotionally unsettled- so got up and seriously blitzed the garden! Really heavy physical work! Re potted plants, cleaned the patio with scrubbing and water - chopped the ivy hedge which was overgrown,weeded the beds,cooked brunch like I was possessed! I worked solid for 7 hours - showered then went for a family meet at my sisters this evening.Im home now and far too full of energy to settle.. how strange!! I feel like ‘ what’s going on?’ My joints hurt if I move but my head is so very tired! Yet I feel I want to run a marathon! Apologies for the randomness of this post but..... has anyone else felt the same ?.. xxx

Hello @Mayhip8
Strange symptoms for sure. I'm sorry you're feeling so out of sorts. Hopefully you're able to take it easy for the remainder of the weekend and with some restorative rest you feel better soon.
Hugs :console2:

Mayhip.....those are some unusual symptoms to come on so suddenly and not be anything you've experienced before. I agree with Layla....try and get some rest this weekend. Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids. If you're still experiencing the same feelings by Monday, contact your GP for a consultation. If your work has been especially hectic, they could be stress-related issues. But it is very odd....

Happy Sunday lovelies, 17 days until Christmas and I'm in countdown until we finish for the holiday on the 18th. How are you feeling today @Mayhip8 ? I've noticed the tennis ball feeling in the new hip has been more noticeable recently and I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but I think my operated hip and thigh feels more uncomfortable (not painful) when it is colder. So decorations are now up, majority of the wrapping done and settling to watch yet another Christmas film. @ahipgma , his was the lasagna the other day? I've not had lasagna for ages. I'm trying to watch what I eat at e minute as I have gained weight since surgery but Christmas is most definetly the wrong time to diet for me (though I must say I'm finding it hard in general but do feel I'm being relatively good but as many reports say 'must try harder.,') xxx

Sure hope you had a relaxing day and you're feeling better @Mayhip8
Best wishes for a peaceful week! :)

Hi @Mayhip8 . Gosh it's been bitter cold lately here in UK, hasn't it?! :snow: I'm stiffer than normal and hopefully a lot of your aches and pains are just weather related. Chrissy sounds like it's affecting her too. Stay warm and dry and hopefully in front of a warm fire, drinking hot cocoa (my personal favourite is with a touch of brandy or courvoissier). Keep us posted and wishing you a pain free peaceful week. :angel:

Thankyou Jaycey, Layla, Jamie and everyone for your messages.
I had a better sleep last night and a lazy morning before going shopping and visiting my mum and freind. We got home early evening and ive just watched some relaxing telly programmes. My leg is less painful but I have developed athletes foot on my little toe of the operated leg-in addition to feeling ‘ virusy’- not sure that would cause my symptoms but maybe a sign of impending infection / virus . My temp is normal and ive felt brighter in myself- i do have a propensity to worry at times so maybe I am stressed and running around too much? Ive a very quiet day planned tommorrow and hope it all settles down so I can return to work and then start a weeks holiday on Sunday. It is cold here ( bright skies and a beautiful moon) so possibly the cold has affected me also@ Chrissy @Calgal
I,will pop by tommorrow and keep you updated but for now Im off to get some sleep and rest
love to you all :loveshwr: :roseshwr::flwrysmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for updating, we're concerned about you and I'm happy to hear you're feeling better. I'm hoping that with another day of rest you'll feel even stronger.

Those symptoms seemed to come on rather quickly. Hopefully your body is doing what our bodies do best in fighting off the offenders. It's that time of year and possibly you picked up something and your natural body defense went into overdrive :shrug: it's the only way I can rationalize it. Rest can't hurt though, right? So I'm glad you're able to take advantage of that for another day. Let us know how you're doing tomorrow....we do care.:console2:
@Mayhip8

I hope you are sleeping soundly as I’m typing this. What a strange couple of days for you!
Please take care and keep us posted.
My first thought was if it had to do with your fasting diet? Are you doing low carb?
That can get me feeling wired at times so figured I’d mention it.
I hope Monday morning has you feeling much better.

Happy Monday all!
What a set of symptoms, @Mayhip8 ! First let me say I hope you're feeling better. The fact that you were able to do so much is a good sign I think. When I was running a temp everyday a couple of weeks ago I could barely drag myself around. Both my legs did hurt ,muscular pain on the outside but here too the damp dreary weather seems to affect them and maybe always will. Nothing I cant deal with, though. It's all the nervous energy combined with having flu like symptoms that sounded a little different.
Weve been maintaining temps above freezing here, thank goodness, and holiday prep is reaching a fever pitch. You still have children at home too whereas I can muff along undisturbed, plus your job! You have a lot on your plate so take care! Hope your hips aren't giving you too much trouble today.
Get well prayers coming your way!:prayer:

@CricketHip not able to directly quote!
“My first thought was if it had to do with your fasting diet? Are you doing low carb?
That can get me feeling wired at times so figured I’d mention it.” end quote .

oh, that might be worth considering. Thank you I am doing low-carb, it’s something I’ll take into account now, and Keto which is the point of the diet- I’ll look into whether it’s at the detriment of healing muscles ? I did have a look before and they say six month post surgery should be safe. Having said that I am a bit more virusy today so I was coming down with something. I don’t feel floored by it but as I said before I think I’ve got over worried.
@ahipgma I think you’re right too my son was ill all last week with a viral chest infection type thing, and although I instructed him to stay well away from me and not cough in my vecinity it’s possible he gifted me his germs:flabber::dubious::yikes: ( harsh !:heehee:)

So today finds me making a massive pan of healing chicken broth, I love it when the smell permeates throughout the house mmmm
i’m loving the new Christmas emojis by the way and I’m going to post some just because “it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas “:banana-santa::snow::presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
although we’ve yet to put our decorations and tree up as this year my husband wants to do it with the with the teens and we haven’t managed to coordinate time as yet. Who knows maybe we could get it done this evening?

@ChrissyW not long to go before the end of term and you can have a much deserved rest,( in theory anyway,)
Right my lovelies I’m off to go and add some herbs and love to that broth,
sending my love to you all and will catch up soon, maybe, just maybe if we have time we could have a pre-Christmas meet up In the great Hall with a massive Christmas tree and a huge log fire burning in the grate with the smells of cinnamon and winter spices wafting through the air as we sing Christmas carols sipping something warm and comforting :snow:

Yum, homemade Chicken Soup. It does make the house smell good. You just gave me a dinner idea...thanks. I hope you enjoy. It does sound like your body is fighting of an illness, dear Mayhip. Hopefully it's very short-lived.
Sending a hug and wishes you feel better soon!
@Mayhip8

mmmm,, love the thought of homemade chicken soup but not loving the virus part.. sorry Mayhip.
I didn't even think of keto affecting muscles and healing.. was just thinking about you feeling so wired and full of energy a few days ago.
I hope you feel better soon. :carols:

Mmmm chicken soup. One year when older daughter was at college ( she went to a university just 14 miles from home.) She caught a bug and called and begged for chicken soup to be delivered! So on a cold and snowy night we pulled up in front of her dorm and called her. She came tottering out with a blanket around her, took the soup I held out the window and tottered back in.
She said it cured her. I use my Austrian grandmas recipe that calls for parsnips, carrots basil and plenty of garlic. Garlic is curative too I hear, besides keeping vampires away? Anyway, sounds like a plan you have there and I hope it makes you feel much better. You know these things go round this time of year, our hospitals get full of people who get very sick from it because they're not too healthy in the first place. And your hub and the teens helping is a wonderful idea too. Our temp was 55. degrees here today but pouring rain so I'm slogging around to the grocery stores in said weather. I'm always afraid of falls now that I have Thing 1 and Thing 2 implanted! Ugh! So prayers still going up for your feeling better.
We celebrated Ari's 2nd birthday on Saturday and my daughter told me today she has a temp and is listless. Yikes! Things going around all around the world.
Love and a fast cure, @Mayhip8!

Hoping your homemade soup has you feeling better. @Mayhip8 Do get checked out if symptoms linger. I was a Keto flunky. Felt absolutely awful eating that way. My husband did beautifully so I was trying to be a support. Salt from a good soup should help.

Sending healing wishes friend. Take good care of yourself.

@ahipgma Ahhhh What a lovely mummy you are! I love that story about your chicken soup delivery. :loveshwr:

Today I’m going to mostly sip chicken soup and chew garlic bulbs if necessary!!, I’ll drink lemon, turmeric and black pepper tea, as I have a full on dose of pharyngitis, boy! it’s going to be quiet round here for a day or two! So it’s warm baths, duvet day, And rubbish telly for me. It seems like my nest days return....

It's me popping by to say Hel Ho Ho Ho!
It's been a right old week! Our area is being badly affected by norovirus and staff and students alike are being affected. At last count (I think) 9 schools in the area have had to close but we are still going but as of tomorrow we are going to have to put some plans in place for post 16 students as their lessons aren't being covered! I feel like I'm juggling many balls (or baubles as its Christmas) and I'm definetly feeling tired. My shoulders are giving me increasing problems and I'm convinced it's something I must have had historically but am only just feeling it due to no strong medication but I e jade an appointment as its getting to me now! It was Christmas dinner at work today and I must say it was lovely ( as a flexetarian had the veggie option and it was really yummy, especially having parsnips which I'm partial to) anyway my lovelies I'm now going to watch kirsties handmade Christmas and enjoy my green tea. @ahipgma i love your suggested get together in the great hall and perhaps @mayhip you could play that grand piano for us as we all sing those carols. Oh and by the way what will we have to drink as a festive tipple? (Though I think champagne and canapés will do to start) who is in?

So good to see you pop in @ChrissyW and happy 14 days till Christmas to you. I hope you avoid the norovirus! Just keep sanitizing those hands!! Weve all been affected by some bug or other it seems.. that's winter for you. All if us with the doors and windows closed trading germs.sorry to hear about your shoulder pain. I will probably take meloxicam every day as long as my doc will prescribe it. I have arthritis in more joints than not ( just not in my hips anymore...)
In spite of all the illness, are you able to get ready for Christmas? My decorating is almost done, my baking is done and shopping, well, even for a shopaholic like me Christmas can be a trying time. But I cant complain, being retired helps. I hope a nice break comes for you soon.
Are you off for Christmas @Mayhip8 ?
My hospital workers are. They're coming to stay with me for Christmas, I'm thrilled. Itll be crowded in our little house but we'll manage.
Maybe theres a cozy British inn with some hot toddies and a roaring fire we can meet at and hope theres a piano to sing carols.
Here we drink eggnog or wassail, which our Trader Joe's grocery store sell and just throw some vodka in. Maybe we' d better bring some more chicken soup for Mayhip if she needs it! What Christmas goodies or traditional foods do you all suggest?
Stay warm and well.
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: wow! Just discovered the holiday emojis.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom