THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Those photos are beautiful! Maybe you should add photographer, to author, as possibilities for future endeavors should you ever tire of nursing. I have some Welsh blood running through my veins, myself, with distant family migrating from North Wales, so I found those photos very interesting to look at. It's good to hear you enjoyed your time there catching up with family and friends and it's certainly a bonus to return from a weekend away, not one pound heavier than when you left. Woohoo, good for you! :yes!:

We have Black Friday here also. Four days away....let the crazy begin! I found it uncomfortably busy while out shopping this past weekend, already, and to think it's only going to get worse.

I hope the flurry of weekend getaways, holiday shopping, work and time spent with family serve as a distraction as you wait for the New Year and a your new hip.

Wishing you comfort as you wait. I hope you have a lovely week!
@Mayhip8

we are aware of Thanksgiving But I don’t know anyone that celebrates it here,
You do now, MOI! :wave:. I don't always celebrate it, bit I did so last year with British neighbors/good friends. Am doing it again this year because I'm VERY thankful this year for my new hip, new life!

So glad you had a good time in Wales and didn't get washed away, cariad. X.

such beautiful Photos, @Mayhip8.. congrats on your weight loss! I feel like a slob, I was wanting to try that IF diet and completely fell off of it before really getting started and now you are 14 pounds lighter and I am at the same dumpy weight..
Hopefully you will inspire me now to act on it.

Keep up the good work and have a nice non Thanksgiving holiday. :rotfl:

Oh @Mayhip8 ! Those photos look like a magical land --- which I'm sure your beloved Wales is and so glad you got to enjoy without gaining your weight back.
The bug I had really knocked me for a loop and I feel better but still weak. Getting there, though.
I feel like I'm getting quite an education on this thread, first stones/pounds then new words @Calgal I looked up cariad and its just what I thought it would be--- such a pretty sounding word!!!
Its madness here already with Christmas shopping, and stores have had their Christmas decorations up for more than a month now. But people who are now just purposeful and a little rushed could be downright nasty in 3 weeks. I try to be done
Earlier so I dont have to deal with that.
Amazon is my friend too!
We are having a small simple Thanksgiving this year. The food is important of course but counting your blessings and thanking God is most important and we do attend a Mass on Thanksgiving.
@ChrissyW I am so glad your slip did not end in a mishap. My MIL God rest her, had both hips replaced in her late sixties and had 3 falls after that that that I remember till she passed at 89 and no harm ever done to the hips and her implants were 20-30 years old when she fell. But they sure put the fear of God into you about falls, for sure.
Our weather now is Pittsburgh fall/winter chilly, blowy, possibility of snow,etc. But warm friendships take the chill off.
Love to all !

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate :loveshwr::roseshwr: and @ChrissyW virtual leftovers sound sooo tempting ... can I have a turkey and stuffing on ciabatta please? With extra cranberry sauce:yes!: Oh! And what do you lovely folks across the pond do for dessert?
sending love to you and your families:friends::martini::martini:

I'm stuffed as a turkey at the moment! Wish you all could come and help with real leftovers. :groan:. @ChrissyW pumpkin pie is a must but I made pumpkin cheesecake this year for a change. Also made apple pie from scratch. Nummy. Last year I also made pecan pie. Carb city but it's only one day and it's a special one everyone can celebrate regardless of religion etc. I had a great time with good friend neighbors since my family is 5000 miles away. Have a great weekend!

:loveshwr:Come quick for the leftovers! Brandied cranberries, chicken and stuffing with gravy green beans with bacon and vinegar dresssing ( a German tradition as per my origins, passed down recipe from my grandma) apple crisp and pumpkin pie with yes, mile high squirty cream !!!!
@Calgal yours sounded so delicious and more ambitious than mine but the sentiment was the same--- thanks for the blessings of dear ones near and far, and eating and celebrating together!
Now I lay in a carb induced stupor but def worth it!
Thankful that bonesmart brought us together, @Mayhip8 , @ChrissyW @Layla and algal. My legs helf out gretvthrough ll the prep today, another reason to thankful ....:loveshwr:

Ladies is there any pie (of any if the sort you have made) leftover? I think a slice of each would go down really well! I've never had Pumpkin pie never mind pumpkin cheesecake, actually with the exception of Pu,pain soup once my extent of knowledge of a pumpkin has not exceeded a carving for Halloween! Now bring out the leftovers please xxxx

@ChrissyW dear, now my attention is turning to Christmas baking. Daughter #2 is coming for the last of the pie tomorrow, as she worked on the holiday.
Can I interest you in some Buckeyes, chocolate covered Oreos, nutroll cookies, Hershey kiss surprise cookies, sugar cut out cookies, date nut cookies, home made biscotti from Mr. Caruso (hubs) pizelles, tea cookies, peanut butter cookies, and various chocolate dipped goodies.......just reading this will not put on weight, you know, but visiting me this time of year may!

@ahipgma my mouth was watering at the bakery counter last!! Starting to feel festive here as hubby and I have spent time yesterday and today making garlands for the windows in order to replace our old ones. We've been hard at work with dried orange slices, cinammon sticks, florists odd, sods and wire, pine cones and a bit of recycling of old decorations. Very proud of the results, very 'back to nature'!! Oh and @ahipgma my mum would make walnut biscotti with grated lemon rind every Christmas. She also used to make some very Italian Christmas treats, struffoli. Dies your husband know them? I've made them once bug ladies, fried little biscuits covered in honey, moreish and too addictive! Has anyone else started to be festive?

All that food! Sounds divine and even better that I can imagine virtually sharing it with you and no extra calories! :heehee:
@ahipgma - hope you’ve recovered from the ‘prep’ workout?
@Calgal your pumpkin cheesecake sounds divine! I’ve tried pumpkin pie ( many years ago and remember it as tasting quite fragrant and very sweet) what’s you’re recipe?
I have relatives across the pond and one sent my children a huge Thanksgiving box from MARS last year ( the sweet company not the planet ) The choccies definitely taste different to those we get here!
I’ve been on shifts for what feels like forever since I returned from my little jaunt last weekend. My body is coping- with plenty of rest between shifts-but my head!!!!! sooo hard to empty it of the problems I’ve heard and triaged ... I tend to ‘ ground’ myself by checking in with family and friends ( and elusive sleep!) After my shift today I spent time with my 89 year old Mother - in law at her house, her daughter and granddaughter joined us as they were visiting from Cardiff, a lovely family time tea was had and now I have a few minutes to myself and this .....
( see picture)
its trés cold and icy here at the moment so I thought I’d warm ‘ me cockles’ - Haha! I wonder what you might make of that colloquialism :heehee:
@ChrissyW I’m starting to feel quite festive- last year was such a washout for me as I was in horrendous pain and immobile (though others stepped in to take care of me and the celebrations ). I so want this year to be a positive time and am really hoping to ‘go the extra mile’ ( blimey!- all this management/ motivational speak)....
I woke early this morning before my shift and brought up what I bought and thought were chocolate Advent calendars from the cellar of treats - The family were so pleased!! more than I expected... then I realised I’d bought them ‘ selection’ boxes by mistake :dubious: bigger choc bars but not 24 little windows to open:loll:
Ah well! Won’t last as long but they are happy! I have no idea what was going through my mind when I went shopping for them!!!! All I can say is the Christmas dinner might be ‘interesting’ if I don’t audit it prior to the day :rotfl:
so my lovely friends I shall go now and look forward to a restful day off tomorrow and hopefully some peaceful comfortable sleep tonight
:loveshwr::roseshwr::friends:To all xxxx

Attachments

• 45C14075-1149-44C1-A3BE-32325A3DC514.jpeg
    45C14075-1149-44C1-A3BE-32325A3DC514.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
So good to hear we're all getting in the Christmas Spirit! My 3 main activities. Baking, decorating, and present buying, got off to a little bit of a slow start but once we're in the month of December it flies.
My best friend bought me an early Christmas gift of a lovely old Coach purse from a resale shop when I visited her and I looked into its restoration on YouTube. I actually dunked it in dish soap then after it dried rubbed leather restorer into it. Was quite pleased with it! So tired of cheapie purses that look bad and fall apart after a short time. This handbag is real leather and built to last. They call it slow fashion, buying better things second hand and reusing it!
Ari will turn 2 on the 9th of this month and Disneys " frozen 2 " has stolen her heart, so I got her some dolls and jammies with a "Frozen" theme. Other than that it's the usual pre Christmas stuff.
@ChrissyW , your hubs will help you decorate! Good for him. Mine just stands back and appreciates when I'm done but there are those biscotti he bakes though.....
I've heard of struffoli but have never had them. They sound yum.
@Mayhip8 it sounds like you're pacing yourself quite well though hospitals aren't respecters of holidays. I'm curious, did you have your worst hip done first? So glad to hear you're able to do all you want especially those precious family times.
Was laughing at something my husband said and was shifting in my chair and without thinking CROSSED MY LEGS.
First time in 3 years, uncrossed them in a hurry, but just one other thing to amaze with these hips. Progress does continue!
I only saw a pic of a glass of wine Mayhip!
Looked good though.
Chrissy what about a wreath pic?
Love to all. Ho ho ho:yahoo:

Well as you asked so nicely @ahipgma here are some pics of my home made garlands. They actually look much nicer in real life!! Now I'm starting to feel even more Christmassy! @Mayhip8 i bet your family are living the early selection box version of an advent calendar . Actually it's much better value and I'd be more excited as it's more chocolate! I bought myself a frozen 2 one and the hubby a paw patrol , it's time to be big kids! Happy evening my lovely hippie sisters . I still love checking in and seeing what everyone is up to, especially when work is 'blah'

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 250
@ChrissyW Your garlands are beautiful!

The choccies definitely taste different to those we get here!

Better, or worse...be honest. You won't hurt feelings, at least not mine.
Just curious I guess.

I hope the work week is easy on your mind and body. I can imagine scenes of the work day replaying in your head at night. I'll bet it's hard to turn it all off.
With the time difference...hopefully you're sleeping peacefully by now.
Until next time...wishing you comfort and all the best!

@ChrissyW your garlands look amazing! I can just imagine the festive smell that come from them too ! - yummy .
@Layla - to be honest I thought the sweets and chocolates didn’t taste as good as from here in the UK - though I accept that they had come from overseas and sometimes the journey can taint flavours- did you ever buy wine/ liqueurs on a holiday abroad and when you tasted them at home they didn’t taste as good? Maybe the environment was different ? I felt they tasted far too sweet and was put off by the taste of food colouring/palm oil.. but then I’m a fussy soul! :heehee: My children loved them though ( and the thought behind the gift was kind and was received in such manner)
@ahipgma I’m all for ‘ recycling and vintage products’ it’s fab when a gift is bought with you in mind and you can raise it to another level with a bit of loving care. . You’ll think of your friend every time you use that purse- a great gift for sure.
you asked which of my hips was most painful.. my left hip had the constant deep gnawing pain every minute of the day and was worse at night- now it’s replaced I just feel a post op tightness at times with the occasional ache of ‘ settling in’ feeling - I presume that’s normal? My right hip is a different crunchy sticky spasm pain not as achy but unsettling still. I’m tolerating it as I know it will be fixed soon(ish) . I can walk further before the muscles go into overdrive - sitting really is uncomfortable however I get up and walk around whenever I can at work .
ive just finished a shift and it was busy and hectic! I did some face to face triage and it was good to have the patient contact ( there were a couple of emergency situations that I coped with) - I’d had my reservations about the shift prior to going in because I knew we were short staffed and I might have to do consultations .However I did get a ‘ buzz’ from being able to do my job well and feel quite positive now !
so on that note I will download my head and go play online scrabble to change my focus before I pop off to get some much desired sleep ( or rest- whichever I will be blessed with tonight!)
sending love and hugs to you all
and gratitude that we still check in here with each other - it really does mean so much to me :loveshwr::roseshwr::loveshwr:

I felt they tasted far too sweet and was put off by the taste of food colouring/palm oil.. but then I’m a fussy soul!

It's not really surprising there is a difference. Let's view it as you have a sophisticated palate rather than you're a fussy soul.

I understand though. While MARS is known for Snickers, Milky Way, Twix and M&M's all popular at every cashier counter across America, I wouldn't consider it fine chocolate by any means. You're right....very sugary. Although I do love me some Peanut M&M's now and then.
The things we can come up with to discuss here. Never ending. :heehee:
I hope you have a nice weekend and your ailing hip behaves. :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts