THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hi all
We do decorate like crazy for Christmas, at least I do. Getting ready to go to sleep so I can get up and catch a 6am flight to go 1.5 hrs north to then fly 1.5 hrs south to stay with my girlfriend for the week. Shes a nurse too ,@Mayhip8 ! Though our friendship goes back to school days. Once I get home the holidays will be plunk in front of us,Thanks giving first, third Thursday of November, then full steam ahead to hohoho. How are you feeling @Mayhip8 pain wise and all. Isnt your new hip nifty and yours, @ChrissyW ?
Mine are still stiff and twingey sometimes, but so so much better. Still doing a little PT just to strengthen things up.
Weve just got to get you a matched set, Mayhip but your hopeful patient attitude seems to be carrying you through for now. I pray for you every day. Whoops I think I see an elf with some eggnog. Cheers to us in Lapland!:beer:

It’s time to rebuild that Ark around here:swim:! I hope you’re not too affected by the floods @ChrissyW ? How is it with you @Calgal

My pain is definitely worse on damp days and nights - it’s bearable at the moment but I am needing pain relief (usually paracetamol in the day and codeine at night) because I can’t function on codeine in the day,to answer your earlier question @ahipgma
I tend to grab the better days and do more for example ,swim longer, or go for nice walks ,which I managed to do on Sunday.
My operated hip still feels mildly numb and sort of tight. I think I can feel the implant in the bone but that might be my imagination. I’m less wary of My movement these days but still wont sit in a low chair - mainly influenced by the creaking cracking and pain in my un -operated hip.:old:
I’m kind of concentrating on planning for Christmas to distract me. I’m usually a last-minute writer of cards and shopper of presents ,but I’m making a start now as last year I didn’t have much control over the situation so kind of want to make it up to everyone this year.
In the meantime. In this wet and windy real world I‘m still enjoying being back at work and being part of a team. I’m plodding on with the diet as I think I’ve lost about six pounds so far , and I’m looking forward to meeting up virtually let’s say this weekend ?
Do you think we will be able to see aurora borealis from Lapland? I have arranged for the moon to be full over the weekend to so it can light our way reflecting on the snow and diamond sparkly peaks on the trees which twinkle brightly as we pass them en route to Mr & Mrs claus’s house.
I’ve heard it say there are log fires in each room,With big snuggly comfy chairs in front of them, toasting forks within reach of a marshmallowas ready for toasting . I believe they also have a tall traditional beds that feel like the big wooden featherbed that I used to climb into at my grandma‘s house in Wales, Though I hope they have an ensuite bathroom and not a “Guzunder“ or “chamberpot“ like under my grandma‘s bed!!!!:heehee::heehee:
I also believe I don’t have to tidy up after myself, as little fairies and Imps fly around and sprinkle magical dust on the clothes that need folding the pillows and a plumping - if I’m very lucky they may help me put my boots on and thick snuggly jacket for when we nip outside for a juvenile snowball fight.
here’s a couple of photographs I took and edited from my walk on Sunday.

9F02DF7B-3364-4069-A8CB-A7267DA6F844.jpeg 5D1693CD-A427-4E4F-A603-744F083EA2F6.jpeg
Wishing you all well on this wet Tuesday I hope you stay safe,warm,happy and peaceful :roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Wow. If I'd have known you were taking photos of my home, I would've invited you in for tea.:beer:
Spectaclular.

I always do my Christmas shopping last minute too, but it's because I am a consummate procrastinator.
Glad you got out some despite the pain. Hugs for a good week.

We're still dry here in Worcestershire...just about. But everywhere we try to walk the dog is a soggy muddy quagmire. Wellies to the rescue! Stay warm and dry in front of a fire and thank god for paracetamol! Hopefully next winter your aching hips will be a distant memory. :praying:. Have a good week.

Evening lovelies. Well I can truly say it has been exceptionally wet in Yorkshire! Many of the village lanes have been flooded around me but nothing like Doncaster or Sheffield or even like the floods a few years ago where the lower villages and towns near me were completely flooded with many houses and businesses being ruined. Had an awful day at work today, being really verbally abused by a parent because I'd sent her child home to arrange a meeting with mum, after numerous issues including today being rude to a member of staff. That didn't work out well clearly!! Hip wise the joint itself feels great, though I'm still conscious about bending and socks are still a problem on that leg! The thigh aches at times and my glute sometimes feels uncomfortable but I think everything I'm feeling is muscle repair and rebuild. I'm having shoulder problems, the left especially. Initially I thought it had been from pushing myself up during the recovery period but now I'm wondering if it's been arthritic or similar for a while and I e never noticed it due to all the medication I was on for the hip pain. Now I rarely take anything and when I do it has been for my shoulder.
Really looking forward to Lapland and @Mayhip8 i do believe we will be blessed with a spectacular northern light show as it is on my bucket list but Mother Nature normally plans such displays in term time so I've asked especially that they be put on for our group as (like l'oreal says) we are worth it (further disclaimer other brands are also available) anyway, have a wonderful evening, I thought I might have got some festive to on my homecoming but unfortunately I arrived to the hubby watching episodes of the walking dead so I might do some online browsing. Hugs to all and enjoy your trip @ahipgma xxx

I have arranged for the moon to be full over the weekend

Love this :heehee: Thanks for the laugh.:wink:

also believe I don’t have to tidy up after myself, as little fairies and Imps fly around and sprinkle magical dust on the clothes that need folding the pillows and a plumping -

You should write a children's book during your next Recovery. You have quite the imagination. Stay dry, warm and enjoy the rest of the week!
@Mayhip8

Hello all
Here I sit in Richmond, Virginia ( named after the Richmond in England I'm sure) with my dear friend, it snowed here today, it snowed at home in Pennsylvania, and also in New Jersey, where my hubs is for the week.
So sort of Lapland- ish here!
We sat this morning over breakfast just catching up till 1230 in the afternoon.
We have known each other for 50 years, are both nurses and have kids about the same age. Went to some resale shops today where Christmas is everywhere.
Sounds like a good plan @Mayhip8 to keep busy over the wonderful holidays.
My 3 main duties are baking shopping and decorating and they do take up.a lot of time.
Trying to get a family Christmas cookie baking date together. Ari can put sprinkles on the cookies.
Dear @ChrissyW I've said it before but I could never teach. These jobs where delicate situations come up can be very trying, no wonder you want to go to Lapland!
I say sit by the fire with something warm and alcoholic and watch the elves decorate the tree.
Love and hugs. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile::beer::snow plough:

@ChrissyW lovely lady - I‘m so sorry you had to face that horrid situation in doing your job...it saddens me that parents and pupils ( however difficult their circumstances are, ) feel they have the right to speak to you and treat you and your colleagues in such a disrespectful and aggressive manner .. extra big hugs to you- though I’m sure you handled it in a professional and correct manner - it doesn’t lessen the impact that the situation leaves you feeling. I’ve been assaulted verbally and physically in my job- and we always try to understand the reasons behind the aggression- but it doesn’t make it right does it? I hope you are OK ? @ahipgma I agree with you that I could never do the job that Chrissy does for many reasons ( so much noise! ) Though undoubtedly the rewards are great and I hope the positive outweighs the negative. “Don’t let the *********get you down” I say ...but still I understand how it can affect you .@ChrissyW do you get good support from your peers?
How is your trip away from home meeting your friend @ahipgma going? Is it like stepping back into a safe warm comforting place?
@Calgal stay safe ( and upright) in those muddy climes won’t you? A good walk in the fresh air is so healing - I hope the weather turns better soon!
@Layla - Thankyou for your lovely words of support - I have a million books to be written! All inside my head! One day maybe they will be transferred into actuality-who knows?
i’ve had a good few days at work - some tough calls and some good calls to balance it all out, I’m off tomorrow and I’m treating myself to a long lazy lie in and a nice catch up with some cosy television to watch. I spent the day today catching up with various friends over coffee,lunch and going to my daughters school this evening as she is embarking on the Duke of Edinburgh scheme .The teachers were giving us information about it, ( an after school activity that they invest their free time in) - yet another reason to praise our amazing teaching staff - but for now for me it’s chill time the log fire is lit, the wine is cold, in my cosy bed is waiting for me shortly.

On that note I sent you all my love for a peaceful,comfortable, lovely sleep:loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

Well that was a week from start to finish so thanks for your support @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma , I couldn't do your jobs either but strange how we are all in caring, people focused professions! Made my Christmas cakes last night so now there are safely wrapped up ready to get a brandy soak every Friday until they get decorated! Now the festive season can start and I've just watched the John Lewis advert (though I must say I'm a fan of the Aldi Kevin the carrot advert!) happy Saturday everyone whatever you may be doing xx

Happy Sunday everyone!
My visit with my friend was really nice.
To be with someone who remembers your first menstrual.period, first boyfriend ,college graduation, was in your wedding had children twice in the same years, and knew your parents now lost to you, now you got thru menopause and marrying off children with. She is having some issues but as we did when we were 12 and 13 we had some good talks about everything.
The only problem was that when I was there, I ended up with the flu. But my dear friend, a nurse, dosed me and cared for me.
So on the way home as when I went, there were no direct flights, so traipsing all over airports feeling sick as a dog.
Got home late Friday night and just toppled into bed. Yesterday puttered around unpacking and drinking fluids trying to keep my temperature down.
Today not feeling too bad but going to try to stay away from everyone and get better for next weekend which will be a celebration for my younger daughters 25th and I'm having my whole family--- just so I'm done being contagious! I did get my flu shot, too.....
But sure dont want to give my 88 year old mom or Ari this plague.
This is the time if year I can either get my ducks in a row and not stress myself out over the holiday or let it overwhelm me:thud:
So, gonna work on that !
We're all pretty much back to our pre hip lives but I think of you both every day and must be there for you @Mayhip8 when yoursecond chance comes. I hope you continue to bask in the obvious love of your family and that your pain is as minimal as possible!
And dear @ChrissyW when do you and your students take a holiday break--- something everyone needs but especially the hardworking teachers, just as here in the States. Will keep checking in,
With :loveshwr:and:friends:s

@Mayhip8 and @ahipgma love you both and the bond we created and like you say @ahipgma we will be here whenever, wherever and whatever calls us (I added the whatever as I liked the sound!) life is settling back in to normality but what a year my dears! We are strong, warrior women and now we are ready for anything! (Especially Christmas!) hugs xxx

I hope your virus is clearing @ahipgma in time for thanksgiving next week .I agree we are warriors and strong women @ChrissyW - when I look at what life has hurled our way at times ( both pre and post hip replacement) and how we’ve come through I’m proud of each and every one of us:roseshwr:
life's pretty much back to normal for me - I still have shoulder pain and pain in my right hip which I’m gritting my teeth and coping with! my left hip scar is itching like crazy at times!!! I’ve lost 12lbs so far and loving the healthy diet .
work is crazy as the ‘winter crisis’ has kicked in big style. So much demands on our service and lots of overtime to be worked .
However I’m off today and it’s a quiet ( ish) one . Up at 7 am, big shop at 8.30 Am ( Does anyone else get Fed up of having to put shopping away?) , A short rest before doing some laundry, brunch at midday,I want to catch up with ‘COLD CALL’ - a fantastic drama on Channel 5 this week before we go to boy child’s meeting at school re the upcoming year 11 exams at 4pm
.However the thing I’m most excited about is packing this afternoon for a cheeky weekend in Wales . I’m so excited I’ve not been “home” since April and although it’s a four hour journey in the car I feel positive that I’ll be able to stay comfy, and arrive early evening into the middle of nowhere in a beautiful cottage to spend some amazing quality time with hubster my children and my very best best friend in Wales is coming to join us too. I am blessed indeed.
I can’t imagine I will stick to my 800cal fast though....:loll::heehee:
re Christmas advert @ChrissyW yes! Kevin the carrot amuses me grately:yikes: ( see what I did there ):angel: and I quite like the John Lewis dragon too .
so without further ado I must press on .
sending love and hugs to you my happy hippy sisters :loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

Congratulations on your weight loss @Mayhip8 !!! Almost a stone already, wow! You must be SO proud of yourself. I definitely need to check that plan out. :giggle:. Have a great time in Wales with family and friends. Wave to me as you zoom by J6 on the M5. :wave:. Stay warm, baby it's cold outside. X

Hello and Happy Thursday to you :wave:
Congrats indeed on your weight loss! It sounds like you have a lovely and well deserved weekend in Whales planned. I hope you have a wonderful time with family in that beautiful little cottage.
Safe travels!
@Mayhip8

Hello everyone
Where I live it seems similar to you climate wise. Feeling a little better, ended up going to the doc yesterday because fever came back, but lots of coughing and congestion too so maybe a secondary infection? Ugh.
Anyway @Mayhip8 what a lovely trip you have in store. I have friends that for the most part follow a diet but allow themselves a little time off for special occasions. I'm sure there are some lovely traditional Welsh dishes that you cant miss! So enjoy then get back on the stick after as we say....
Well, you learn something new everyday on Bonesmart... now doing a little math I know what a "stone" is as opposed to our US pounds, @Calgal !
Dearest @ChrissyW yes our hippy bond is strong! We'll have to keep sharing holiday plans and warm wishes. They're the best.:egypdance:

@ahipgma a stone is 14 pounds. I had to learn that when I came to UK. It still wracks my mental math ... But I've converted what I'm supposed to weigh into stone / pounds and now use that as a baseline. :shrug:

Oh @Mayhip8
Great job!:happydance:
Thankful for the stone to pound conversion ...even more impressed.

Do go to pounds...sounds so much better to lose 14 pounds vs One stone.:heehee:
Hope your weekend is sweet!

Well @Mayhip8 how fab is that weight loss! I need to try get back on my strict plan as I've put on about 7lbs since the surgery and I don't like it! Sounds like we're all doing well. @Mayhip8 have a fab time in Wales, it will be a nice pee Christmas catch up no doubt. We had lunch with an elderly couple we met on holiday a couple of years ago today. It was our pre Christmas get together and we had a lovely afternoon and meal. We are going to a Christmas fair at Ripley Castle in North Yorkshire tomorrow so that is the start of the Christmas season for me, I'm hoping I might find a glass of mulled wine while overusing the stalls. Hope your thanksgiving preparations are well under way @ahipgma and @Calgal do you still celebrate even though you're this side of the pond? @Layla hope you are well and happy preparation time to you too! I had a bit of a trip at work this week, loose flooring in my classroom (which I have reported) and it scared me as I was convinced I'd done damage but it must have just been a jolt, felt a bit tense but seemingly back to normal (well as was anyway) now. Anyway lovelies Im watching the last couple of episodes if a great crime drama, Dublin murders, so I'm off now, leaving you with hugs and happy evening and Sunday to all xxx

Hello and a Happy Sunday to you!
Hope you enjoyed your time in Wales with the family @Mayhip8 and that your hip isn't giving you too much grief. I don't know if I could have handled the four hour car ride, with any luck you didn't suffer. Wondering if Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated by our friends across the pond this coming Thursday, or is it only an American thing? Kind of gathering from Chrissy's message above you don't celebrate it in the U.K.

@ChrissyW I am really sorry to hear about your trip / fall. Thankfully you weren't injured! I imagine you would feel tense afterward and the thought of how much worse it could have been wouldn't initially be consoling...until you realized how fortunate you were in not being hurt. I believe we all cringe at the thought of falling. Surprisingly, I've read of many falls and continue to be amazed that most often the only result is it scares the daylights out of you. Happy you're ok. :)

Have a lovely week ladies!

Oh! @ChrissyW! I hope you’re ok after your trip? Crikey! It’s what I fear the most - falling- and causing a problem with my new hip and creating more pain in the other one . Stay upright love! :spin:
@ahipgma Hoping the bugs are dissipating and that you feel well enough to celebrate Thanksgiving.
@Layla - we are aware of Thanksgiving But I don’t know anyone that celebrates it here, though a lot of people might celebrate Black Friday !!!!Its been advertised for the past few months (or so it seems) so now we don’t have black Friday sales we have black November and halfway through OctoberReductions in prices - just in time for Christmas reductions in prices, prior to the January sales, we are indeed a shopping nation I feel! - (apart from me ) however I do need to get my butt into gear to start looking for Christmas presents for people. now I am rested and my head is full of happiness and contentment it will be a pleasant task to undertake.

My weekend went well, I had a wonderful time catching up with family and friends and so many cups of tea! I ate and drank what I wanted to and strangely made healthy choices without any effort and I’m pleased to report no weight gain and I have now lost 14 lb (@Calgal one stone! )starting again today to fast and restrict my calories to 800. It really is an easy eating way of eating and it feels really healthy too!
so now I am going to put the holiday wash on,do a bit of housework, maybe watch a bit of afternoon telly before I go to visit my friend later.
i’ve taken and edited some photographs of my weekend away in my favourite place. In Welsh we have a word “ Hiraeth “ it sort of translates to “home of the heart, “or “longing to return home”
. This is my Hiraeth place. It’s my fathers birthplace his family have lived in the village for many centuries.
love and hugs:roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Attachments

• B3983686-00DB-46F9-8669-9DF54024F148.jpeg
    B3983686-00DB-46F9-8669-9DF54024F148.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 5DE75C4B-7B39-4CBB-92AA-D88FBDB72FF8.jpeg
    5DE75C4B-7B39-4CBB-92AA-D88FBDB72FF8.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 98E07DE1-BA87-4486-A630-15B030B6D853.jpeg
    98E07DE1-BA87-4486-A630-15B030B6D853.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 188

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog