THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Aww, Mayhip, so sweet. You and your recovery buds will never forget the friendship you've engaged in to help get through your recoveries. There's a special bond between you all that you've nurtured all along. I look back upon my recovery time fondly and cherish the memories of those who I journeyed with, Mojo being one, and while we weren't as imaginative as you collectively are, we planned a couple crazy trips of our own, one on an airplane to join us all together and another an ark of all things! I still think of my recovery buds fondly and often wonder how they're doing. The best thing is its a guarantee you'll have your special friends, along with the rest of us, to support and encourage you as you triumph through righty's surgery / recovery and recapture life to the fullest.

Wishing you comfort as you await your date and hope you're having a beautiful weekend!
@Mayhip8

Happy Monday!
Beautiful weather here with a high of 70 so pretty nice. Went hiking yesterday and did great-- and this is your week @mayhip, your consultation this Thursday....I hope your pain is contained as you wait and we have the pompoms ready. I can watch the leaves fall outside my living room window. Even though we love our trips there is no place like home!

Attachments

• 15716725632436553123919791457134.jpg
    15716725632436553123919791457134.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 194
Hello my lovelies I'm hoping everyone has had a good start to the week, feeling reinvigorated after our trip. So many wonderful memories, the conversation, cocktails and canapés (well I couldn't think of another C) were all flowing in abundance and spending time with my hippie sisters is always a pleasure.
@ahipgma getting some normality back is good and I agree, we are all ready to shake our Pom poms and wiggle our derrières as we cheer along our wonderful @Mayhip8 . I'm on countdown now as it is the last week of this half term and we have a week holiday starting this coming weekend and it's cruise time again (sorry!!) I am sat chilling at the moment as hubby irons his holiday attire because he's far more organised than me! Have a good evening and I shall catch everyone later xxx

Whoa! Another cruise! That's wonderful @ChrissyW ! I'm just as glad to stay home as we have a trip to warmer climes for midwinter planned and our Italy trip in the spring.
You are still a working woman so a cruise is a good time to take a well deserved chillaxing--- we just have to cheer on our @mayhip wherever we are! :yay:

I will be cheering, waving my Pom poms and wiggling my tush wherever I may roam @ahipgma and @Mayhip8 maybe things will have moved on and I'll come back to news of hip number 2! It's a chilly day here today though it's stayed dry at least. Hugs to all and here's to happiness for us all xxxx

Hellloooooooo:loveshwr:
well! Fab weekend ladies! The best thing about a virtual break is there was no need to do any real washing when I returned home!
back to reality now - it’s half term here and the young’uns are busy with one thing and another,I’m anticipating a positive assessment on Thursday at the hospital and hope to have a new date soon.
I’ve been fairly Active by going on a couple of long walks over the last few days -I actually managed to put my old faithful rambling /walking shoes back on, (with help!!!)
I just have a quick question -do any of you who had the Op in April/ May still have like muscle tightness and mild pain on the operated leg ?it gets better after moving but it still obviously tender I’m not sure if it’s because I’m generally relying on that leg for the main strength now because of arthritis in my other hip?.I’m not terribly concerned just mildly interested.
@ahipgma I love that view from your living room! You must feel Nestled by nature @ChrissyW how fabby another cruise ! What a treat to look forward to .
for now I’m snuggling watching The bake off! So will take some inspiration perhaps !
hope everyone has a calm peaceful and pleasant Tuesday evening and I’ll be back in touch soon:loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

So good to hear you are getting along day by day, walking, even, and interested in The bake off, I just wish I could bake it then not eat it! :shrug:
I recuperated looking at summer out that window @Mayhip8 , with the side windows cranked open for the gentle breeze, it's our downsize house---only 1 floor. We left our home of 24 years and downsized 2 years ago, I knew it would be good for a double hippie! We love it.
In answer to your question, I still have stiffness that is proportionate to the time I
spend sitting, and you and I were done a week apart. My new hip did complain about being leaned upon by the one not yet done and that will continue after surgery, but you will be further out than I was and Lefty will be stronger as a result to carry the new Righty along, then, then dear Mayhip one day they will both feel so good!!! I cant wait for that for you!
Thursdays coming !!!!
:yahoo:

-do any of you who had the Op in April/ May still have like muscle tightness and mild pain on the operated leg
Yup. No pain exactly but muscle tightness (more the poor leg muscles, both quads and hamstrings, compensating for my non existent glutes). And omg, sitting too long is still the bane of my existence! Both sore butt and stiff as a board when getting up! Embarrassed myself at a theatre performance Friday night. Took minutes to prise myself out of my seat at interval - and I was at the end so held up the whole row getting out! :rofsign:

We'll get there eventually!

Hello hello ladies. Even though I'm now pretty active and my whole leg feels so much better than ore op I must say there are occasions when it aches and generally feels uncomfortable. I still struggle to get anything in to my foot I'd socks and tights and it takes longer than before but I know I'm getting there and I was only talking to the hubster yesterday about how I was this time last year, I spent most if the time crying or just struggling to find everything, feeling so self conscious about how badly I was walking. I've got everything crossed for your news tomorrow @Mayhip8 and I genuinely hope you get the news you deserve. We have a days er your neck of the woods, in Cheshire, before we go cruising as we have friends in Alderley Edge and one of our favourite eateries is there. Im going to take my hippie sisters away with me in my heart @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma , @Layla and @Calgal because I know I wouldn't be where I am now without your love and support. On a different point think if me tomorrow afternoon as I have a root canal (I have a distinct dislike if dentists do feel ill need a holiday afterwards) I too watched bake off last night and didn't think who went should have, is it a conspiracy I wonder!! Have a good evening and sleep well everyone xxx

Fingers, toes, eyes, everything crossed (except legs of course it's a :bignono:) for a wonderful outcome for you dear friend!
All your sisters are pulling for you!

I too watched bake off last night and didn't think who went should have, is it a conspiracy I wonder!
Thank you for keeping the name a surprise! In the USA, we now get on Netflix the episode 3 days later than you on Friday. I have my suspicion who you might be referring to but I may be wrong!

This show had definitely gotten me in the mood to start baking again. Now that I’m on two feet!

:wave:Hello @Mayhip8
I hope your appt went well today and you soon have a new date scheduled.
Will look forward to your update. Wishing you a peaceful afternoon and evening! :friends:

Well ladies I am at a loss for words.:sad:
I went for my appointment this afternoon and was greeted by a surgeon ( whom I shall call Mr L) he asked me why I was there, I explained how I came to be referred to him, mentioning that my previous surgeon was unwell and that I didn’t know when he’d be back,Mr L said” oh well that’s a surprise I saw your surgeon not long ago and he looked well enough to me. “
I explained in the last couple of weeks my surgery was cancelled because i was told my surgeon was in hospital.
Anyway he proceeded to fumble around the desk looking for notes that were empty I.e. no previous hospital notes ( I have been a patient at the hospital before, ) I gave him the previous surgeons post-operative notes and pre-op notes for my right hip, he briefly glanced at them and said “just because somebody else had consented you doesn’t mean to say I’m necessarily going to offer you surgery”
He asked me to remove my trousers and climb onto the couch so he could examine me which he did. As I was re-dressing he went back to the desk and asked me if I knew how tall I was and do I know what my weight is? . I do and I do and I also know my BMI - I also know I am overweight and I am also deeply ashamed of this and highly embarrassed about this but I am doing what I can to recover and increase my exercise and mobility. It’s been many years since I was a supermodel size, but I’ve always maintained excellent general fitness, however I feel I was judged by this man as he proceeded to work out the figures on his calculator in front of me -which was unnecessary as it is in black-and-white ,printed on the letter I gave him.
He repeated my BMI and said that if I were a (few more) figures I would be bordering on obese and that I would be more At risk of getting a blood clot and a pulmonary embolus then and if I were to have that after surgery or to die it would be too late to come to him to blame him and say “you should’ve told me to lose weight.”
He asked if I’d been referred to a dietician or had anyone ever talked to me about losing weight etc etc .I let him continue this conversation until he said everything he had to say.
My husband was with me and a witness to this rude ,arrogant, judgemental conversation. I explained to Mr L that I tried to increase my mobility and he must understand how difficult this is, I explained to him I actually do eat a healthy diet, as in I take very little junk food etc - I would not benefit from seeing a dietician as it would be a waste of NHS resources as I know every type of diet under the Sun, and if it was that I needed to lose weight before he would go ahead with surgery then that’s something that I’m going to do. He then said” well if you’re not prepared to lose weight then you will have to take that risk. “
I said “I think you’ve misunderstood me ,I don’t think you heard what I said, “
I explained I am a nurse and I understand everything about risks and benefits and it took me a long time to come to the decision to have the surgery And if I need to lose more weight now then I’m prepared to do it.
He changed his manner and said he might have seemed a bit harsh and proceeded to then talk to my husband about how it would be remiss of him not to highlight the increased risks of surgery on a person who is overweight, and do you know what I really feel? had I not have mentioned or spoken back to him he would’ve continued in his rude, arrogant, bullying, manner.
Every overweight person I’ve ever spoken to know they are overweight and it takes quite a lot of courage ,motivation and action To set you on the right road to losing weight if you’re able to. (not to justify my actions in eating too many chocolate, cream cakes and foods that are perhaps the best for me, ) there was no necessity to speak to me in such a demeaning manner.
I do feel over sensitive and my husband Says that his manner was terrible and that he shouldn’t have spoken to me like he did.
So where does that leave us? Mr L said” it’s up to you whether you have the surgery done, but if I operate on you whilst you’re at this weight it is at your own risk”, he looked at my previous x-rays (which is quite strange because they were dated wrongly and probably not even mine), I asked him how long the waiting list would be and he was vague and said probably round about January or February next year,
I said does he have a target that he thinks I should aim for to lose weight , And he said” think about coming back to me when you have lost as much weight as you can”.
Even writing and reading the above few paragraphs seems so ridiculous to me. I haven’t put on weight since I had my first surgery, I am so frustrated that I had been told I would get my second surgery in August- 12 weeks after my first, I wish I hadn’t been told that, I wish I hadn’t had so much stress and so many cancellations over the past few months, I am feeling devastated tonight. I’ll cry it through and get my head round it and I’ll get back up and fight but for tonight the only words left a really not nice ones.
And I’m better than that.:boohoo:

Mayhip, this is awful. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that. It's definitely seems to be overkill on the surgeon's part. It feels rude, insensitive, negative, judgemental. I can understand lightly touching on weight so he could make his points about risks, but the manner is which he kept hammering away seems unnecessary. Especially given you told him you're in the health care profession yourself. It's certainly difficult to lose weight when you have two bum hips that need replacing.

It must have been difficult for your husband to witness. I can't say my husband could keep his composure as yours did. I don't know that I'd want that doctor touching me, personally. Wonder if you should wait for your ill surgeon, who's not really ill....according to Dr Insensitive?
You're in a bit of a conundrum.

Sending hugs and best wishes as you contemplate decions. :console2:
@Mayhip8

I have been looking out for your post all day @Mayhip8 . I am so very sorry. I wish I could give you a hug in person. What was done and said to you was inhumane, we are both nurses. You know it and I know it.
Was that his issue, it seems so strange.
My BMI is just one slice shy of obesity here by our measurement in the US. My posterior scars are flabby because of it. My surgeon is excellent and very aware of all the risks, and never said a word to me about weight.
Personally I have cared for many patients who were double my size and more, literally twice my weight and of course, as you would, did my best to compassionately care for them not to lecture them. And how in heavens name did he justify his cruelty when you were sitting there in front of him, the patient of one successful hip replacement. Is there some sort of board you can complain to about his conduct? Do you have another option for a surgeon? He is ridiculous to cite blood clots as particular to overweight people. Health and medications are every bit as much a concern when having surgery as weight that's why you anticoagulate after....
I wish there were some way I could help, besides keep you in prayer. Just please dont give up your fight!

@Mayhip8 I agree with everyone else and am so sorry that you were treated that way and by a so called medical professional! I would have to run as fast as I could away from that :censored:! I know it may not be that simple but he surely needs to be reported.

Oh my goodness @Mayhip8 i can't begin to say his appalled I am at that person who i wouldn't even call a doctor as a doctor us expected to care! Do not accept that rudeness. You have been treated terribly through all of this and you need to complain really loud. Like you said if you hadn't spoken up he'd have continued and who knows how many people he has harmed by such ignorance. Weight loss is even harder when you are suffering pain, exercise isn't as easy as some think and I've been there. I'm so angry I don't know what to say!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie