THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@Mayhip8 Im just walking these days. Never managed to get our exercise bike seat comfortable enough to sit on for more than 5 minutes. My 'sit bone' is still very tender. I'm still lugging around a memory foam cushion whenever we go out to eat. Got a fitness watch to better track steps. Set myself 4000 goal and usually achieve it by the end of the day. Other than walking ,I have started to do a little quads stretch lying on the bed, legs off mattress hanging down from knees. Then I bring my non op leg up towards my chest. Op leg is still hanging down from knee. It stretches the front thigh in my op leg, which still feels stiff when walking (trying to) without a crutch. Hope that makes sense. (But if you have a sore unop hip this wouldn't be good)

Nice to hear you are spending quality time with your family. Enjoy our few days of sunshine before the next set of rainstorms. Hope that dam near you holds tight!!:yikes:

My 'sit bone' is still very tender. I'm still lugging around a memory foam cushion whenever we go out to eat
What a fab idea! Never even thought of that!:idea: I still have a sore 'sit bone' too - it's awful sitting anywhere for long, I've been taking my perching stool out to other peoples houses - however I'm now going in search of a memory foam cushion ! thank you so much for the inspiration .:angel:
I still use a walking stick outside especially if it's wet even though I don't necessarily put my weight through it -it's there to reassure me .All will be good in time I'm sure for all of us . Sounds like your stretching helps you head in the right direction :) :-) (::flwrysmile:

Got it on Amazon, of course!

Bonmedico Comfort Cushion, Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion For Coccyx & Lower Back Pain Relief, Pressure Relief Cushion Great As Office Chair Cushion, Portable Car Seat Cushion, Wheelchair Cushion
It has its own little carry handle on one side, and rubber non-slip dots on bottom. The top is mesh so breathable. Discreet and comfy! I originally bought it to level out car seat but it's a bit too wide for our car seats. Works fine on most regular chairs though.

Last edited:
@Mayhip8 a cry room is a soundproof room in a church where you can see the service but no one hears your children
Usually with a big glass window. Older churches dont have them and our church was not designed with one thank goodness!
Ari is with us till Tuesday evening so still busy with her. Will try to carve out time for my stretches and the gym.
My change in diet is just as much for health sake as for vanity and just to make my latter half the healthiest it can be.
Our weather is really nice right now, with a rest from the rain! Hope yours is improving too.
So my countdown continues ,
and what are your next steps. Just wait to hear from the surgeon? I got over my anxiety of last week and am pretty ready mentally. Starting to think of my new hip as my good leg which in a few weeks it will be.
A little one is climbing all over me so I'd better be off! Have a lovely rest of the Monday!:)

It's a late check in today as I was meeting up with a friend and I'm always on a go slow in the morning then before you know it, it's bed time!! Well @Mayhip8 i remember the cry room in my old church, it's screened off ( well in my old church it was an anterior room separate to the main body of the church, where those with young children would base themselves and the room would have speakers for the mass to be heard, I'm presuming it's similar for @ahipgma in her church.
Exercise wise I'm still doing some of the pt exercises, some gentle yoga stretches but no bending obviously and walking. I'm aiming for at least 5k steps a day and impressed myself with nearly 7 today. Much of the walking is still in the house doing my laps, I've steadily increased from what I was doing during the early days but find the movement helps as I'm still quite stiff when I stand. I didn't walk as much as I used to on the cruise but more than I'd done throughout recovery and also I didn't walk much last summer as I couldn't due to pain. I think going away and being 'forced' to sit in normal chairs and do 'normal'things really helped mentally. However I have had a couple of twinges today so I will be taking 2 paracetamol before I go to bed, just in case!!
I felt in good company today as my friend is 6 months pregnant and neither of us could do our normal wander everywhere so we had a lovely stroll (well she waddled) round a couple of shops, a nice coffee with a snack and lots of chatting then home for a nap! Your Sunday, @Mayhip8 siunded lovely and your church story @ahipgma brought back memories.
I'm off to bed now so hopefully I'll catch up more with everyone tomorrow to see what everyone has been up to. Hugs to all xx

It turned out to be a non-adventurous day yesterday as nobody particularly wanted to do anything so we mooched about the house instead, I did go out for a little walk to the local shop and then I treated myself to another bath! It's still tricky getting in and out because of my right hip however it was nice to relax in it.
I managed a comfortable and fair night sleep although I was awake a few times for another reason .

I went to the dentist this morning as my crown area had been tender, after an x-ray Im reassured that there is no decay or infection - that pleases me, I also managed to drive without too much concern, although My leg did go into spasm in the dental chair :yikes: it must've been the position I was lay in :chinstroke: The dentist was quite concerned at my level of pain in the wrong end of the body! @ahipgma I have my blood test's next week and will sign my consent form so Im reassured t be free of infection.
I know sometimes when I'm in a lot of pain it's easier to get up and move around and that does seem to make the pain lessen - I've wondered about getting a step counter - it must give you a good sense of achievement to see the figures increase as your recovery proceeds - (Hmmmm might have to have a look at Amazon again !)

My son is volunteering today at the Museum, and my daughter is off with her buddies to see the Lion King, I'm just going round to my friends now as her husband took a turn for the worst night last night.
Sending love to all
Stay safe and comfortable and have the best day that you can :loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Good morning!
@Mayhip8 I hope things go ok with your visit to your friend. Seeing loved ones struggle is hard. One good thing about my job was being reminded that there are always others worse off than me and I can be strong and of service. I dont have that in my life anymore and I miss it.
I dont miss the stress connected with my job though and I'm sure I can find other ways to serve and use my skills. Being there for friends and family is good too!
Last night I had so many hip twinges and pain I guess that's God's way of telling me not to be nervous about this surgery because it's really needing done!!!
We've had several days without rain so ive actually had to water my small garden! But thankful for those around me whose homes are more susceptible to flooding!
Today is Ari's last day with us and we will deliver her back to her mom and dad tonight. I had forgotten how much work a toddler is and when I had mine my hip was functioning!
A good rest of the day to all--
:loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Good afternoon everyone. Just thought I'd stop by to see what was going on. Taken a bag of jeans and tops I no longer wear to a charity shop but then stopped at TKMaxx and bought a nice, lightweight blazer, probably for work but not really needed! Oh well it was a bargain! Other than that a quiet day and I'm about to do my second round of walking. I was going to actually go for a walk but it looks like another down pour is due so I think I'll stick to the Laos in the house!
Might try pop back latter and see if you've had a more exciting day than me. Keep smiling my lovelies and hope we are all feeling relatively ache free or at least on the up xx

Ok no idea why my post feed is not playing fair! It only updates after I post so I end up checking for updates, there is nothing there and the minute I post the feed updates! Technology!!:banghead:

This is totally random but sometimes when I text on my phone I plan to put one of our little BS emojis on but I can't:groan:
Next to my dear Bonesmartie ladies I've become attached to those little guys! You made me think of that @Calgal ! Oh the way in miscellaneous emojis here there is a little guy for you:bath: :yes:

Morning everyone. It's damp and drizzly here today but really muggy! As my leg is getting stronger and I'm trying to increase my activity I'm finding tweaks and twinges randomly appear . Muscle recovery is weird that's all I will say!

:wave: Good afternoon ladies

Well it's chucking it down again in fact it was just bouncing off the roof's a few minutes ago! What on earth is the plural for roof?! Rooves doesn't look right!! And I normally spell pleural as in lung:heehee: what happened to my brain!!

@ChrissyW I know what you mean about the weird muscle aches, I did so much yesterday and quite a lot of driving- I noticed aches and pains in very strange places yesterday evening. In fact I had a rubbish sleep too but gave in at 5 am - Got up put some washing in, mopped all the floors downstairs , sat down had a cup of tea and watched the roses in the dawn sunshine.

The weather is so unpredictable ! I'm not going to be going out today as I am really cautious about slipping on wet pavements :old:

So basically I'm doing admin and making a spaghetti Bolognese for tea:yay:

The house smells divine but not as divine as it would do if I was making my world-famous especially delicious gorgeous lasagna.:curtsey:

Talking of techie stuff - Have you ever been typing at your laptop and then swiped the screen to look at something clearer by mistake thinking it was an iPad?:loll:

I do like a nice emoji @ahipgma @ Calgal - They say a picture speaks 1000 words - imagine the Tate modern filled with emoji art ?, Now there's an idea for a project!

Well my freind is rallying round a bit so we will see what the next few days bring .
It's a blessing and a burden at times being a nurse - knowing too much yet not enough sometimes.Wearing a ' different hat' according to the situation - being on the other side and vulnerable - watching that everything is properly done safely and seeing the skill others have in caring for people - 35 + years of experience and yet still everyone's story is new and unpredictable and theirs. @ahipgma I took a planned year out of nursing a few years back and I missed it dreadfully - However retirement is a bit more final I feel? You should celebrate your previous many years of nursing and already you are finding another outlet for supporting and caring for others. ( In recovery I think you should come first for a while though?!) However that gorgeous granddaughter of yours will be keeping you on your toes I imagine!
So for now I will root through my kitchen cupboards and see if I can find ingredients for a dessert ..... Or desert....:rotfl:
Bye for now :loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

Hi all
We had the pouring rain through the night last night and I guess it moved off across the pond! But no need to water the garden today.
Thank you for your kind words about nursing and working. I havent really thought much about it but I miss my colleagues and the interaction compounded by the fact that I am now the patient and shortly to be one again.
Yesterday I developed some lateral thigh pain in my new hip side that had me limping like crazy. I know I overdo it and have been lifting Ari who is now getting heavier. @ChrissyW s comment about muscle recovery is so true. I know this pain is not bone or implant in nature. It just makes me a little nervous because it has to be my strong leg in the near future.
I dont know how bilaterals do it!
But anyway, no choice but to go forward!:walking:
Mmmm thoughts of your lasagne bring back memories of our virtual family Italian dinner! Tonight is one of my faves in the summer. Bacon lettuce and tomato sandwiches with corn on the cob.
Both tomatoes and corn are right from the farm for us at this time of year.
I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and am having one a day as a treat.
Always a salad for lunch. Trying to make them interesting.
I am tackling floor and laundry today too, cleaning up post toddler messes.
Later!

Oh I'm so glad we are talking food again! I'm so addicted to flagels (sorry I know it's a bit pretentious!!) I had 2 for lunch, cinnamon and raisin with laughing cow cheese spread (that's the child in me)for tea it was a very large mixed salad, a roasted pepper, half a jacket potato and some pork ( which if I'm being honest I could have done without and the snaky bits I gave the day were much appreciated! ) we have taken to going for a walk around the block so to say as hubby has decided he too wants to get fit and he's alsonjoined the gym. I prefer walking so I've persuaded him that a short stroll after tea is a good idea. I so wish I could do more yoga but I know my limits so it's very basic upright, stretches combined with my pt exercises as a short routine. I need to do some work tomorrow as I'm teaching dome religious studies to year 7 and 8 ( the youngest in high school) this year and it's a very long time since I taught RS but in education, as it currently stands, we have to be flexible and it's common to teCh outside your expertise! That's my plan for tomorrow as I've been putting it off do far but who knows I may find something more exciting and put it off a bit more!
Have a good evening ladies, whatever you are up to and @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma its good to know our weird aches, twinges, etc are actually normal. Those darn muscles!!:gaah:

Hi :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a nice week. I would imagine you're feeling pretty good these days.
May it only get better! :flwrysmile:
@Mayhip8

@Layla :loveshwr:
Thankyou so much:SUNsmile:
I've been doing so well and reflect upon those early days when everything was a worry or conundrum or even mild panic! I cannot Thank you and the site and other admin ( and my new found hip sister buddies ) enough . Seriously I don't know how I would have got through this part of my recovery without you all. You may never know how much your care and kindness has meant to me .. I'm awaiting replacement of hip number two and feel mild anxiety until I get my " due date" as it were.. Until then I am taking it day by day and feeling grateful that I am recovering so well. They say Angels present themselves in unexpected places .... :angel:.
I send my love to you all :loveshwr::loveshwr:

As another week comes to an end wishing you @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma and @Calgal a happy, peaceful, pain free Friday. It's pouring it down here, I have to go out this morning for an appointment with my bank manager so hope it slows down a bit ( though that doesn't look likely according to the weather reports) so it will be onwards and upwards(with the umbrella anyway). I walked a fair bit yesterday (nearly 8000 steps according to my phone!) and I think my brain thinks it is further ahead in recovery than my muscles as they did ache last night. What are you all feeling like brain v muscle wise, though I'm expecting that's a silly question for both you @Mayhip8 and you @ahipgma as you have #2 on the brain. Hope nobody gets any of the flooding and otherwise have a great day just doing whatever you want to.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom