THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hi @Mayhip8
Maldives now?!! I can't keep up with you crazy kids but I sure do love the bond you've formed throughout Recovery. It's very sweet how caring and supportive you are of one another and dedicated to your check-ins.
I hope you all have a lovely weekend! @ChrissyW and @ahipgma and you too @Calgal
Group hug!

Hi all
@Mayhip8---celebrate!!!! Housewifely, climbing stairs, woohoo! Progress!!you didn't say but it sounds like your pain level is better. I think pain is quite a depressant and when that is better you feel so energized.
We have a lot of thunderstorms and flooding today so not going to the gym but hopefully do my stretches and walk my neighborhood. Having some kind of chicken tonight but don't know what yet.
I've decided to push myself with muscle strength in hope of coming out of surgery a little bit ahead in August --alot of glute squeezing going on! Hub offered to help with that and i gave him that look you give your husband when he says such things. You know though if he can still be attracted after seeing me white faced and out of it after surgery and fumbling around like an old lady with my walker, putting my support hose on and hearing me complain about constipation from oxy, well. The last 34 years have not been a waste. He's a good guy.
But that wont keep me back from my trip to Maldives! I will dare to wear some strappy sandals instead of blocky shoes with sensible treads and yes, some boho billowing things that befit such beautiful beach. I fell in love with those kir royales but will trade for something tropical with an umbrella in it.
@ChrissyW my girls and I watch "White Christmas" any old time of the year and our Christmas Eve tradition is "Miracle on 34th St" are there particularly British Christmas ones you watch or more modern ones I'm sure. We watch those oldies.
@Calgal so you are willing to trade your hot tub for crystal blue water for a spell!
These virtual trips were fun as we plodded through early recovery. The skys the limit now we can kick up our heels!!!!
Or at least lead up stairs with our new hips!:yahoo:

@Mayhip8 i think @ahipgma and myself have affirmed the appropriateness of festive films. @ahipgma when the boys were younger and at home we would also have miracle on on the 24th (the Richard Attenborough who I believe was Santa version) now my personal tradition is to watch at least once but happily more 'it's a wonderful life'. :angel:
Anyway let's talk all things exotic. Beautiful sand, crystal clear waters and cocktails. I will paddle but I'm not the biggest water fan so no scuba for me but I will happily wander along the wet sand and I'll be so happy in bare feet (great free and natural exfoliation) our skin will be sunkissed and the break will assist any aches and pains ( not that I'm moaning but I have achy legs and getting back to normalness is darn hard work)
@Mayhip8 what a day you've had. I wish I got that level of cleaning bug occasionally!
Anyway I shall now prepare my suitcase and we mustn't forget our Percy pigs as they seem like a vacation staple. Are we taking our grabbers ( who knows what mischief we might get up to with them!):good-bad:

@ChrissyW , @Mayhip8 @Calgal
Mm forgot about the percy pigs!
I may get my grabber and think up some stuff. Fishing seaweed out of a bathing suit, getting that pesky olive out of the martini,or grabbing the shirt of a pool boy! Remember they were such a sight on our first few trips! I might tie some festive streamers on it ( the grabber not the pool boy) or more up to date can the grabber be used as a selfie stick? I am becoming very enthused about this trip as where I live is flooding mud, and dangerous roads! And yes tomorrow is Friday!!
Well ,decided on chicken marsala with couscous and green beans.
Strawberries and ice cream for dessert
Better get cooking while you all get ready for a restful pain free uninterrupted sleep.
Sweet dreams dear friends:sleeep::sleeep::sleeep:

Ohhhhhhh strappy sandals....@ahipgma:yahoo:
Ohhhh I'm going to " bling up"my grabber @ChrissyW
I've packed the Percy pigs - why dont you bring a download of a *mas ( nope! Still can't say it in JULY) film to watch one evening as we chill after sunset - before the night sky glows as the band strikes up soft music we can dance along to. @Calgal I think we can set up hot tubs on the veranda too :idea:

I've done a lot today so will hope to get some decent sleep tonight in preparation for our jollies :sleeep:

Hope all goes well with your sessions tomorrow @ChrissyW
@ahipgma take care on those flooded roads! It sounds quite worrying!
Stay comfortable ladies and rest well :loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

So just got home and the sessions went really well. The students were sensible and no silly questions and we got some good discussions going so hopefully the title I gave the day 'stay safe' has been well heard and they've been able to leave early as happy little bunnies fir the weekend, knowing more about a whole range of things than before, though I did take some deep breathes before asking a couple of questions.
I must say I slept terribly last night. First one in ages that has been about 3 hours total. I was up making a cup of sleep tea at 2am!! Not sure why but maybe nerves or I know I'm concerned about another event I'm doing next week and have been worrying about how much standing it is likely to involve. On a positive I'm excused sports day!
I too will bling up my grabber and I'm with @ahipgma re pulling pool boys, ok well grabbing their shirts! Hopefully the sunset will be glorious and we can listen to happy music, perhaps have a dance and stroll along the beach watching the sky change through a range of glorious colours.
Enjoy the rest of the day and catch you all laterxx

I've been practising walking up and down stairs with my other leg today. It s not painful just weak but felt OK
Yippee! Milestone! I just tried taking a few steps without crutch today and it was clumsy but the more I did it the better it got. Also tried my Nordic poles and that felt really good. May try those on my outdoor outings this week. Get strong your second hip is calling your name soon!:walking:

Woohoo ladies its time!:happydance:
Put your teacher hat away @ChrissyW
And revel in your progress @Mayhip8 and @Calgal.
We have to catch our plane!
Airport security found it very interesting that 4 ladies traveling together all set off the metal alarm but yep, the xray machine saw all four shiny new hips and away we flew!
This place is so beautiful and we are already so relaxed as we sit in the tropical sun:SUNsmile: sipping mai tais ( drink from my youth) and taking in the sights.
Hey @Mayhip8 see the pool boy? No put down that grabber he'll take his shirt off in good time.
I'm anxious to see what that chef is bringing on his silver cart poolside- some lovely grilled fish or shrimp, but it's something we didn't have to plan on, buy ourselves, or cook. Does dessert come with the meal?
If not I'm sure @ChrissyW brought the percy pigs or maybe some strawberries with squirty cream.
We'd better swim off some of our yummy meal with some paddling in the cool tropical water, I bet you dont miss that hot tub @Calgal, the water is so clear and blue you can see straight thru it right to our pedicures such pretty colors thanks to nail polish and the grabber.
And isn't it great that the slimming swimsuits we found on sale cover our scars? I'm loving this getaway, couldn't be happier with the friends that have gotten me this far.
Hey who's that walking up the beach? @Layla you decided to join us!:wave:
What's that? Airport security is scratching their heads over another shiny hip being seen on xray? Never mind.
Heres to you my dears! :cheers2:

Last edited:
@ ChrissyW I'm pleased your day went well - a difficult subject to handle with that age range - although I'm Guessing they handled it with the maturity and respect they have for you?
I wonder if it was on your mind and that's why you didn't sleep? However being excused sports day is a good result! Is there anything you can do to minimise the standing next week ?

@Calgal it's a good feeling achieving something we took for granted pre-op isn't it? Will you bling up your Nordic poles for those beach walks ?:walking: I bet they reach longer than the hand grabbers too- I sense real mischief occurring!!
How are the floods @ahipgma ? I hope you are safe ?

Well I've had a quiet day - felt the fatigue after yesterday so have done smaller bits of mooching and walking but am ok with it - it feels positive and I've a busy weekend ahead !
Shall we meet at the airport my lovelies ? We will travel to our resort together in style :hog::hiking::horseriding::heehee:
See you soon :SUNsmile::yes::SUNsmile::loveshwr:

Woohoo ladies its time!:happydance:
Put your teacher hat away @ChrissyW
And revel in your progress @Mayhip8 and @Calgal.
We have to catch our plane!
Airport security found it very interesting that 4 ladies traveling together all set off the metal alarm but yep, the xray machine saw all four shiny new hips and away we flew!
This place is so beautiful and we are already so relaxed as we sit in the tropical sun:SUNsmile: sipping mai tais ( drink from my youth) and taking in the sights.
Hey @Mayhip8 see the pool boy? No put down that grabber he'll take his shirt off in good time.
I'm anxious to see what that chef is bringing on his silver cart poolside- some lovely grilled fish or shrimp, but it's something we didn't have to plan on, buy ourselves, or cook. Does dessert come with the meal?
If not I'm sure @ChrissyW brought the percy pigs or maybe some strawberries with squirty cream.
We'd better swim off some of our yummy meal with some paddling in the cool tropical water, I bet you dont miss that hot tub @Calgal, the water is so clear and blue you can see straight thru it right to our pedicures such pretty colors thanks to nail polish and the grabber.
And isn't it great that the slimming swimsuits we found on sale cover our scars? I'm loving this getaway, couldn't be happier with the friends that have gotten me this far.
Hey who's that walking up the beach? @Layla you decided to join us!:wave:
What's that? Airport security is scratching their heads over another shiny hip being seen on xray? Never mind.
Heres to you my dears! :cheers2:
What a fabulous post - I'm so glad we can time travel and we're together again and having such a wonderful evening- more fun and frolics to come -can't wait to read the diaries of the memories we're making! :cheers2::martini:

it's a good feeling achieving something we took for granted pre-op isn't it?
Yes but I wasn't exactly motoring on my poles! I read someone else's post that they felt more balanced with 2 poles and it helped them wean from one crutch. Before my op I needed them just to stand straight and walk even a few hundred yards. But thanks for the kudos! Hopefully I'll start putting them to proper use soon. :walking:

Good morning. :SUNsmile::flwrysmile:Well what a lovely evening with wonderful company. Can you imagine the faces if a group of giggly and giddy ladies all caused metal detector overkill at the same time! Looking at theses grey skies is different to the sky we fell asleep to, post mai tai though I must say the occasional tequila sunrise was also yummy. This virtual vacation has made me even more excited for my upcoming holiday and I'm now completely off tramadol and may be able to enjoy the occasional kir royale like you did @ahipgma (did you feel like a teenager again?) or even just the occasional glass of fizz.... How exciting.:cheers:
@Mayhip8 I've asked for staff to be made aware they'll need to support more than normal in the session I'm delivering. It's to a group of 30 year 10 students who I will have for 3 hours as part of a careers day (another hat I wear in school is to lead on career education across school). i have started planning it and keeping it as interactive but knowing year 10s (14 year olds) they'll be pains in the bum ( well at least I'm accustomed to pain in that area now):groan:
Have a good Saturday and I'll catch up with you all later. I bet your sleeping off our wonderful evening. Anyone feeling jet lag...not me!:happydance:

Oh! I'm blissed up with the warmth of the sun beating down and warming my aching joints just now .:SUNsmile:
The scuba diving was just so amazing - to see all those beautiful fish swimming past to say "Hi":bigfish:

Last night was so wonderful with @ChrissyW showing us your party trick ( who knew?!) @ahipgma where did you learn to sing like that?! And @Calagl how you twirled that grabber and Nordic pole!!! You must have been a fantastic cheerleader in your college days?
I'm just so lucky that I managed to get up from that yoga position you showed me - it was the 'sea breeze' cocktail (s) that I drank I think influenced my judgement - as I've said for a while now ' bad decisions make good stories ' :heehee::loll:
Well I decided to stay a while longer as there's only shopping and housework waiting for me at home and I'll let someone else do that this weekend - for soon it shall be full steam ahead as my recovery is going so well and before I know it normality will reign .
So I'm virtually having a massage with healing oils and hands this afternoon and this evening look forward to your company and your return if you wish to time travel here?!
P.S
Lobster for dinner tonight !
:loveshwr::loveshwr::martini::surfer:

Good afternoon all!
Wow, Chrissy, you do wear many hats.
I'll bet when you were lying there a few days postop you wondered how you would ever be able to do what you're doing now, yet here you are. You'll be fine, just gently remind them of your limitations if you have to!
A beautiful sunny low humidity day here.
feeling peppy after our trip, I'm going to try some gardening. Some folks regard gardening as a chore, but I always found it very therapeutic, even pulling weeds.
The only issue is getting down there.
Last summer I pushed my garden cart around and pulled myself up on that, always had it parked nearby.
I was cleared at six weeks from all restrictions so I'm just kind of using my head and listening to my body.
The other thing I'm trying is to lose weight. I am so tired of not fitting into things, so trying intermittent fasting.
Can only eat 8 hrs out of the day.
My bad hip was bugging me so much in the middle of the night I took a whole tramadol at 230 am and after 2 cups of coffee :mcoffee:I still could go right back to bed and sleep!
Before you know it though, I'll be prepping for the next surgery so onward and upward.
So any lovely weekend plans my friends @Mayhip8 , @ChrissyW , @Calgal ?
If you're cooking any goodies I can read about them, just can't have any! Yes having an adult beverage is nice, with or without the pool boy serving!
Check you out later!

I love this because each of your personalities really shine through your musings. @ahipgma
Reading about your fantasy trips puts a smile on my face every time. @ChrissyW
The bond the four of you have nurtured is probably the most entertaining in my time on BoneSmart. @Mayhip8
I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
@Calgal

You and I were posting at the same time dear @Mayhip8, I should stay an extra day too, the weeding can wait! Hmmm your lovely post pulled me right back in!
Look out airport xray machine!
Oh PS it was the mai tai that made me think I could sing. And oh goodness yoga!
We'll untwist you! And another seabreeze to ease the pain!

' bad decisions make good stories
Now that we are bionic @ahipgma and @ChrissyW and @Mayhip8 we are certified "old enough to know better but still young enough (at least hip wise) to do it!" :good-bad:

I don't have any holidays planned this summer so thank you for inviting me to join you all on the fabulous Maldives escape :roseshwr:

@Mayhip8 im on my way. The moment lobster was mentioned I asked the pilot to turn around and here I come, there's no way I'm missing another evening especially where lobster is concerned! I'm considering which cocktail to go for tonight ...maybe more tequila sunrises to remind me of the beautiful colours of the sky. You are so right too @Mayhip8 the d'un and sea is marvellous for our aching muscles so we need more and another day will do us good. Hopefully there will be some yummy dessert too, I'm fancying a variety of ice creams. Perhaps even an affogato after our meal (have you ever had one? Wonderful for coffee and ice cream liovers and the most simple dessert ever!) in fact the trip must have done me so much good I actually managed to get in the bath and relax this morning ( I was so proud of myself and it felt wonderful!)
In the land of reality youngest son has come over and we are going to our favourite Indian restaurant for our evening meal. Early birthday celebration for hubby. I'm sure the night will bring back fond memories of our beautiful trip to the Taj Mahal .
Looking forward to our evening my lovelies, I'll be with you in an instant so get that tequila sunrise (or surprise me)ready xxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads