THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@ChrissyW -"pants! " :loll: I forgot about the younger translations!! Chocolate pudding made me giggle too!! Reminded me of a Dawn French sketch :heehee: I've more but will save them for later!
I hope your day went well and your energy levels are holding up ?. You don't want to be exhausted for your holiday. My children break up next Friday is that the same for you ?
I wish I could sprint up stairs too!! But really it's been years since I climbed stairs properly ( I do keep forgetting what I've not been able to do because of OA !)
@ ahipgma I love the way children just squat on their haunches too - so well balanced and they instantly get up and run about ! It's actually just dawned on me when you mentioned the other surgery that I will need to use my left leg to lead up the stairs after my right hip op!! I'd better get a wiggle on and strengthen that butt! :giggle:
It also occurred to me that I'm so eager to go swimming I've forgotten that I can't sit on the benches to get changed AND getting in and out of my swimming costume was bad enough before - from a mobility point of view - there's no way I could safely do it just at the moment ! Skinny dipping it is then :yikes::shocked:......... Perhaps not :heehee:

Today it's raining and so I've continued attempting to edit some photies -I basically want to print some photos to put in albums ( like the good old days!) for my children . I've not updated any since the baby days! I also want to print off and put on canvas some arty ones I've taken to put up around the house .
It's taking a long time as I'm loving the memory lane trip!!

I've also been thinking of the skills I've learnt over the past few weeks such as :-
Picking up wet soap ,that fell onto the floor whilst showering , with a hand grabber- this should be on a game show!
Altering the angle of the portable telly in my nest room with a walking crutch ( does anyone remember when we had to actually get up from the chair to change channel or turn the sound down on TV sets?!!!)
Estimating from a glance how high a chair seat is ..
Do you have any to add to your CV'S ?

@Calgal I wonder if you've come across these sayings/ colloquialisms since you moved across the pond - ChrissyW I expect you know these?
( I'm learning too!)
BOSS - good/ great / wonderful - tops everything else
SICK - amazing/cool
FIT - nice/ good...applies to most things food/ art/objects...
PENG - similar to FIT - ( looks good/ nice)
" It's been time" ... (It's been ages )
PECKING MY HEAD ..... Nagging / annoying
" You're a sort".... " you're good looking"
SPESH ....wierd/wonderful/silly/crazy
:loll::heehee::rotfl::snork:
And they say English is easy to learn!!!!!
Well my literary lovelies, It's chicken salad, home made coleslaw,baby potatoes and salad for tea and I made jelly to go wth ice -cream and fairy cakes as a sort of deconstructed trifle!! So that's jelly wobbly jelly from the fridge - not jam :angel:
Love and hugs :loveshwr::roseshwr:

Wow @Mayhip8 I'm trying to think up some cool US sayings but none occur
Really neat hearing yours though.
I remember thinking they really enjoy drinking tea in the UK but I wonder when do they eat dinner/ supper--when we first became hippy sisters. Hmm.
I got down on the floor with my granddaughter today and didn't really end up in the ODIC as much as in the
ALAGC ( acting like a grandma club)
Have all kind of weird twinges tonight.
I've lost my grabber but one skill I developed is summing up a public restroom toilet for getting on and off.
Some of them are sooo low I look for another thing to pull myself up on--
Purse hook, toilet paper holder, you name it.
I have been told by my OS it's too soon after one hip and then too late before the other to get my dental cleaning. I can't get my teeth cleaned till December 5th! And then only with antibiotics on board before--- and that's forever.Now I run my tongue over my teeth convinced they are scungy and need cleaning ( my appointment was for tomorrow, now cancelled.)
Did you get to take your walk today? I went to a little park with my daughter and granddaughter. It is so hot and humid here, the sun was a fiery orange ball going down tonight.
Your tea sounded yummy and summery
I love chicken salad and make mine with chicken, mayo, almonds, and grapes.
@ChrissyW I see you are always staying longer at work. God bless you with the stamina you and your hip need.How are you able to do all your stuff like job and home? Maybe we need another virtual trip to somewhere glamorous so you can relax!! And @Calgal you should come too--
Are you retired or working?
I'm considering retirement.
Also considering retirement to bed :yawn: lovely friends . Good Night!

Last edited:
@Mayhip8 it was 'sick' scanning your mssg!
The language barriers now most definetly exist between ages as well as countries and every year I find students using words where I politely say 'pardon' before asking for a translation. On a positive though post 16 rarely using teen slang accidentally when writing though I've heard younger students occasionally slip. @ahipgma ive not managed the floor yet and don't think I'd have anything to do when I got down there so I shall avoid that manoeuvre for now, did your granddaughter think grandma looked silly! I think a virtual trip might be good as I think I feel a head cold coming on, it's this changing weather here in the UK. I just wish it would make its mind up. @ahipgma i agree that public toilets can be a nightmare, even disabled toilets are quite low. I've developed a slow, sliding, lowering move to avoid a sudden jolt as you 'fall' on to the seat. I must say it does take practice! @Mayhip8 my cv is now enhanced with 'excellent ability to balance in various situations' 'multi tasking with helping hand grabbers' those lovely little tools not only assist applying nail polish to toes but when you feel lazy passing things between yourself and hubby(we do and it's amazing what can be balanced in the grabber hand) sounds like chicken was popular last night and I shall be having it again tonight but last night was salad and tonight I shall be making a version of chilli chicken with rice noodles. Strange few days coming up at work. Today will be nice as we are having our farewell celebration for our year 13 (final year of high school before university or employment) students and have a lovely presentation and lunch planned for them then on Friday I have a strange, difficult session for all the students in post 16 and it's what we call a 'drop down day' where no normal lessons take place but the whole school has a number of 'topical' sessions. I shall be doing a full half day delivering sessions I have yet to adapt on forced marriages, sexual health, county lines (horrible thing that's emerged over here to do with gangs, grooming young people and moving drugs across counties) and we have a speaker coming in to do a session on FGM. It will be a very interesting day, no doubt full of lots of questions but a set of very important topics for students to be educated on so lots of planning for me ahead.
Are we all still feeling relatively 'well'? I do hope so. Let me know if any of you have good ideas for a virtual visit and @Calgal it would be great fir you to come along too as I'm sure you'll enjoy all the sparkles and glamour we like to take with us!:curtsey:
Have a wonderful day ladies and I should be going and getting myself ready fir the day ahead.:yes!::flwrysmile:

@Calgal you should come too--
Are you retired or working?
I retired end of last November, but suffered with my hip greatly since then - a bout of trochanteric bursitis and then the OA really went downhill fast, till my THR. So I have just now started to really enjoy my free time. :martini: Ready to join you crazy 3 ladies wherever you go!
Hope you all are having a good week!

Good afternoon everybody :SUNsmile:
In answer to your question when do we have tea @ahipgma - well then it depends if you're north or south UK or indeed in Wales!
Brew in bed ( tea on waking)
Breakfast ( with a brew-tea) - anytime between morning waking and elevenses ( which might be drink and a snack/fruit/biscuit/crisps)

Morning coffee - around 11.am served with cake or biscuits( *note* not usually tea drank at this occasion)

Brunch- when you've missed breakfast but not had elevenses or morning coffee and it's nearly lunchtime - brew optional - ( but drank whilst waiting for or making brunch )

Lunch - around about midday up until till about 2 pm
(Unless your'e in the North then Lunch is referred to as 'dinner' ) taken with or followed by a brew (tea)

Afternoon tea - any time after 14.30 and before 17.00 - usually dainty cucumber/ham sandwiches and cakes and the beverage of tea taken whilst wearing a hat and a 1950s tea dress . Do not refer to tea as a brew on this occasion ( toooooooo common!)

Teatime - an evening meal in the north any time after 4 pm and before bedtime taken with or followed by a brew

Dinner any time after 6 pm and before 9 pm
( in the south, or Cheshire, The Wirral or Downton Abby ) probably taken with delicious wine and three courses followed by coffee liqueur and petite fours and drunken sex.... ( sorry couldn't resist)!:yes:

Supper any time after 9 pm and before bedtime
(Or earlier if your'e a child in Wales and you had your tea when you came in from school and now your'e hungry again so you have hot milk and toast)

Midnight snacks any time around Midnight unless you're a nurse on shift in which case it becomes lunchtime .....
My sister has just popped round so I'm going to put the kettle on and make a brew....
See you later fabulous hipsters :flwrysmile::loveshwr:

Skinny dipping it is then
I got a sign to put over our new hot tub you might like: 'we don't skinny dip - we chunky dunk'. :rofsign: Your new hip will come soon and you'll be a bathing beauty again!

A friend had a hip resurfacing and his doc prescribed some hydrotherapy sessions. He said it was fabulous. After the initial fear getting into/out of our hot tub, I found the warm water and bubbles very nice and helped me get up easier, more bouyant. I wish it was a bit deeper so I could do some leg movements in it. Might look into a hydrotherapy centre. :swim:

Yes! I have a friend who did water aerobics after her hip replacement and loved them.
This morning I've decided to step it up and started the"advanced exercises after hip replacement" with Bob and Brad, 2 PTS on YouTube and then go to the gym and do arm weights. Ab machine ( isolated the abs only so no danger of hip strain) and something I've done for ten years prior to surgery--the elliptical except dialled the resistance way down and go slow.
I got a little panicky thinking of being sidelined by my second hip in the near future as discussed with @Mayhip8 and am trying to grow stronger before it comes. The thing that holds me back the most is my hip not done, the new one on the elliptical does fine. ( my OS approved all this at my 6 week).
Also Mayhip8 the times of eating would be hard for me to keep straight but they sound nice especially all the socializing that I'm sure goes with it with family and friends.
@ChrissyW speaking of personal and emotional matters is a part of both teaching and nursing, though as a nurse I know I could never ever teach--too scary and too much long term planning.
My hub used to be a high school math teacher and I greatly admired him for that. Oh yes and what about your cruise coming up.
No more travel plans for me this summer so I might have to vicariously go with you.
Well, hobbling off to the gym--better than walking outside where we're going to hit mid eighties....:blush:

Picking up wet soap ,that fell onto the floor whilst showering , with a hand grabber- this should be on a game show!
Maybe bonesmart should start a new post somewhere (social section?) Called '101 uses for a grabber' that we can all put our best accomplishments on? I'm sure it would be hysterical. @Layla ?

Feel free! Go to "Community" under the blue navigation bar at the top of the page and start it in the "Social Room". It could very well be a hit...everyone grows attached to their grabber. My husband bought mine. Initially I never used it, much to his dismay. He tried encouraging me more than once "why aren't you using your grabber for that?" Once I finally used it, I couldn't live without it. It became my favorite Recovery article.
@Calgal

Hey all, go to community and post your best grabber stories! @ChrissyW , @ahipgma , @Mayhip8 . Hope all the folks following you do the same! Should be good for a laugh whenever we have a down moment. :snork:

@Layla - Thankyou :happydance: what a great thread !
@Calgal I love your sign too :yes: Are you enjoying using your hot tub? Are you managing in and out safely?
@ChrissyW I hope that head cold passes by quickly - I read your message this morning and realised your work is about so much more than we will ever know - tricky subjects with tricky questions I'm sure .
@ahipgma I've been practising walking up and down stairs with my other leg today. It s not painful just weak but felt OK - I'll take a look at increasing my stamina over the next day or so - when I've stopped all those meals !!! ( imagine if we did all of those in one day :yikes::shocked:)
I've been out for my evening stroll and back safe home now
So ladies How about we have a virtual trip which incorporates all the positives of our stage of recovery and abilities at the moment?
Let's nip over to the Maldives? Walk along white sandy beaches , Take in some relaxing spa treatments, swim in the blue ocean, laze on the verandas in the cool evening breeze with a glass of something cool and refreshing .gentle enough to enjoy yet small bursts of excercise to promote recovery and a sense of achievement ?
What do you think ? :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::swim::walking::swim::surfer:
:loveshwr::roseshwr:

I'm in, now that I 've googled the Maldives and know what/where it is. I've never seen water that blue before. I'll get my spray on tan and mani/ pedi and pack!

I'm coming too! I love water. The hot tub has been great. A few contortions getting in and out still to baby the new hip but I manage. Maldives....ahhhh....we can imagine being able to wriggle into bathing suits again. We'll take our grabbers to spear delightful molluscs or fish to grill on the beach for dinner. Drinkie poos with beautiful colours and fresh fruit slices parked on the rim.... :martini:

times of eating would be hard for me to keep straight
@Mayhip8 I think @ahipgma was initially confused about the use of 'tea' meaning a meal. I think we all have heard of 'high tea' but often you and our Yorkshire lass @ChrissyW posts she 'had chicken for tea.' That totally confused me when I first came to UK and still does. How can you drink a chicken?! The source of this confusion is that in UK school kids have school DINNER where in US it was school lunch. So when I ask my hubby (from middle of UK) what he wants for dinner he often thinks I'm asking about lunch. Which I'm not. I finally did some research and found dinner = main meal of the day, and historically that was mid day when peasants needed energy to work in fields and didn't have money to eat very much in the evening. My US mother's family used to have Sunday dinner (lunch) at 2ish then a light 'supper' later in evening if anyone got hungry. So in my house we sometimes translate as lunch-dinner Vs dinner-dinner! Probably should copy this in the US UK translation thread. :chinstroke:

@Mayhip8 I think @ahipgma was initially confused about the use of 'tea' meaning a meal. I think we all have heard of 'high tea' but often you and our Yorkshire lass @ChrissyW posts she 'had chicken for tea.' That totally confused me when I first came to UK and still does. How can you drink a chicken?! The source of this confusion is that in UK school kids have school DINNER where in US it was school lunch. So when I ask my hubby (from middle of UK) what he wants for dinner he often thinks I'm asking about lunch. Which I'm not. I finally did some research and found dinner = main meal of the day, and historically that was mid day when peasants needed energy to work in fields and didn't have money to eat very much in the evening. My US mother's family used to have Sunday dinner (lunch) at 2ish then a light 'supper' later in evening if anyone got hungry. So in my house we sometimes translate as lunch-dinner Vs dinner-dinner! Probably should copy this in the US UK translation thread. :chinstroke:
@Calgal
Yes! Confusion often occurs across the country as each area adopts its own description of afternoon and evening meals -
Here's a joke that some people may not get because of the divide....
How does Batmans mum call him in for tea ?
(Sing the answer)
"Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner Batman!,......:loll:

@Mayhip8 the old jokes are the best!
Well ladies I'm up for a quick trip to those sandy beaches in the Maldives before I cruise the fjords! Starting to get excited and I will be ready because phased return or not I'm feeling it each day. My little body keeps asking why we don't just sit in a chair any more! I definetly did too long yesterday and found sleep not a peaceful as the last couple of nights. I'm all ready for the sessions tomorrow and have no idea what questions I'll get (especially around the true or false quiz on STI/ STDs)
Just enjoyed a very nice quiche salad for lunch (quiche was a courtesy kept or from the leavers lunch yesterday. Strange how the pizzas and chicken goods went quickly whereas the quiche stayed exactly where it was put except the piece I had so hence some came home with me!) no idea what is for tea/dinner as I haven't looked but it won't be anything exotic. I'm going to relax now with a Christmas in July film on movies 24 as its never too soon to watch Christmas films!
I need to practice steps as you all seem to be adventurous with the one leg after the other move. @Calgal how long did you stay in the hot tub? I didn't think we were supposed to use them. @ahipgma you take care with streaks and that spray tan. Have you seen the friends episode with Ross and the spray tan? Hilarious!
Possibly catch you later and what are we packing for the Maldives? I'm imagining floaty, boho babes?

@ ChrissyW .... Speechless!!! A *mas* film ! In JULY!! A - can't even say the word!!!:scaredycat: ( you enjoy it lovely)
After your busy day and with another ahead tomorrow you deserve whatever makes you happy .
Well I'm going to ache tomorrow I reckon- I've had a energy spurt!
Cleaned the stairs ( brushed wiped as they are painted wood)
Dismantled the shelves and holders in the fridge and cleaned inside the fridge - using my Grabber for assistance ( hubster will have to put everything back though!!)
Brushed and mopped the bathroom floor - cleaned all the stuff that has been *overlooked* since my incapacity
And - wait for it- have practised walkIng up AND down stairs lots of times leading with my operated hip- oh my word!!! no hip pain!!! can feel other muscles etc being used and wouldn't do it "hands free" but what a fab sense of achievement !! :dancy:
I'm so going to have a celebratory drink with you all in the Maldives . :cheers:
@ahipgma and @Calgal I'm in agreement of the floaty Boho attire - especially in that heat ! Will we cool off with a bit of scuba diving?
I've been so busy today I've no idea what's for tea either @ChrissyW I *might* be tempted to drive the children to the park later and get a MaccyD drive through!! Rare treat!!- Failing that it's a *ding meal from the freezer*
Let's see what the next few hours bring?!!:yay::happydance:
laters :loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie