THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hello to all!
Finally settled into our hotel and halfway home. Saw the fireworks on TV last night because the big show in Boston entertains half million people on the banks of their river.
Couldn't see hobbling with that crowd.
They looked spectacular on TV though.
Wow @ChrissyW you are well and certain back on the job. Maybe while concentrating at work you put your hip thru some new moves and its protesting?
My relatives have a shower in the tub arrangement, stepped in with the bad leg-ouch!!! Stepped out with my new hip leading and woohoo the move didn't hurt!
But still getting the odd knee pain and groin and thigh pain and oh so stiff till I really get moving. But as many have said, a two step forward one step back process.
So sorry to hear you are sick, @Mayhip8!!
Lots of fluids and tea with honey and lemon is what I do too, and a humidifier in my bedroom at night to soothe the scratchy throat. Wish I could send some of the kir royales I had every night of my visit to you but gotta watch with the pain meds...
Well the weekend is here and hope all enjoy. 6 hrs drive tomorrow and home.
Till tomorrow---:wave:

Hope you are feeling a tad better today @Mayhip8 and you are minus any high temperature and safe journey @ahipgma . I must say I slept better this week than last after the week of working, maybe my body is starting to adjust though I still had jelly legs yesterday evening. I had a 'try on my jeans' evening to see how they feel because I'm normally a skinny fit jeans (sadly I wear them very fitted) however I do have some I will be able to wear comfortably over summer but not many because I didn't like the feeling on my new hip and I'm worried (not sure if you can but paranoia you know) that squeezing against the new hip could cause damage. Is everyone e,se back completely in all ordinary clothes? I still haven't mastered tights so no dresses yet, which has shocked students as I normally wear offices dresses and blazer at work and people keep saying 'you're wearing trousers,' erhh yes and...
Have a good Saturday everyone and I'll be looking forward to seeing what everyone's up to!

A jolly good morning lovelies :SUNsmile:
It's raining! But nice rain - I woke up to the sound of it and thought how much I'd like to be in a forest and walk in that rain ! It was so refreshing
I feel much better - my fever broke - ( like in ' The little house on the prairie ' when the ill person would be more or less pinned to their bed with blankets and a tight sheet, they would hallucinate and sweat whilst mother would mop their brow- if they didn't recover papa would put them in the wagon and drive them to the doctor who was days away...and they would administer brandy and bread poultice and they would heal and I would cry at the ending!)
Anyway I've done a toxin clearing light tissue massage and exfoliation,hot shower followed by COOOOOOLD shower - and back in my nest with a cup of tea!
Apart from cold symptoms I don't have any pain :spin:
I can see me wanting to do much more today however I will be mindful ( she says!)
What lovely things are you up to today?
@ChrissyW @Calgal - have an enjoyable mid journey stay @ahipgma and safe home
Stay safe and enjoy :angel::flwrysmile::loveshwr:

like in ' The little house on the prairie ' when the ill person would be more or less pinned to their bed with blankets and a tight sheet, they would hallucinate and sweat whilst mother would mop their brow- if they didn't recover papa would put them in the wagon and drive them to the doctor who was days away...and they would administer brandy and bread poultice and they would heal and I would cry at the ending!)

This made me laugh :heehee:
I do hope you feel better soon!
Hugs :console2:
@Mayhip8

:wave:Hello @Mayhip8 glad you sound so dapper today. I too love the sound of rain in summer and the smell afterwards is wonderful. The shower detox sounds good, I'm really looking forward to when I feel confident enough to get in the bath. Does anyone know any rules about baths, soaking and wounds? Not that I'm near clambering in to mine as it is an odd shaped very deep bath so I'd probably need a step ladder (now there's an idea!!):idea::bignono:
My day has consisted of shopping with hubby who needed some new trousers ( I did happen to get some things too, it would have been rude not to) then a pleasant hour at a costa, sat outside in the sunshine people watching. I had an amazingly healthy lunch of salad with a couple of rice cakes but we are going out this evening and I want a dessert so I'm saving my calories. I'm feeling really positive today, not sure if it's because the sun has been shining, I slept relatively well or that it's just a positive energy day but it feels good so I'm sending positive vibes to you all my lovelies so @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma and @Calgal im hoping your day has been a good one full of lots of good energy and that its been a positive one in this bumpy path called recovery.:loveshwr::flwrysmile:

We're home.
Felt so lucky even to do a little sight seeing, paced myself and did ok!
I used to have so much more stamina though, I will be anxious for getting the other done.
Will pray that you get a date @Mayhip8!
We opened the house back up and rummaged around in the fridge and came up with spaghetti and meat balls ( my hub makes his moms recipe and we freeze it in portions.
Got a call about a dental appt that I forgot about on Wednesday so I need to hurry up and call my OS and see if I need an antibiotic pre dental cleaning. Got to get into the habit of checking.
@ChrissyW you are right back into doing the wifely thing of helping hub clothes shop and of course you had to buy some things to boost the economy.
I've been wearing those loose flowy pants that are in style this summer.
I figure if I can smoosh my incision by partially laying on it at night, pants lying against it is ok but it's all a matter of does it hurt? I always figure thats the body's warning I've worn fitted pants too they just dont fit like I wish they did...:sigh:.
I stepped into the tub at my SILS and did fine just lead with your non op leg? Can you sit on the edge and pivot around or have hub help you? ( you can see I'd do anything for a soothing shower!):bath:
Glad to hear you are better @Mayhip8!
I wish it would rain here and get some of the humidity out of the air. All kidding aside about little house on the prairie I'm glad you shook off whatever it was without a docs intervention. Dont we see enough of them?
Hi to you @Calgal, we're having some weird weather systems though we had a run of good weather in the Northeast.
But all the yummy summer produce is coming--cant wait!
Love and hugs to all:loveshwr:

Soooo happy to hear you sounding so much better @Mayhip8 ! And no pain?!? Wow, what a milestone! What with normal post op healing, dragging around a non-op hip, stress with medical establishment I'm not surprised your poor immune system succumbed to a headcold virus! At about 4 weeks out I was fighting a cold sore and recurring excema on my hand - both signs when my immune system is stressed. But you knew just what to do to make yourself better. Well done and hope the hip pain stays far far away. My garden and I enjoyed the refreshing break in the weather yesterday but am ready to see the sun again. Have a great day. :loveshwr:

Gooood Morning on this fine Sunday :SUNsmile:

The sun is out

The sky is blue

I have a fresh coffee

Would you like one too?

Well yesterday was a good one I mooched about did this and that .
I went for an evening walk with daughter and most of the time didn't even use my crutch or crutches which I still took with me just in case!

I still have the head cold and the sneezes but they just annoy me -I can't see the point of a head cold or sneezes it's just a waste of energy and paper and trees and and effort.:flabber: Though @Calgal I agree an immune system can be weakened by stress - it's like one minute I live in a bubble of loveliness ignoring everything, and then things come out and make me have to face reality, I think I prefer my bubble!

Is it good to be home @ahipgma? I like going away and visiting people and I love coming home to my own nest and then we can plan the next jaunt.
Did it affect you much sitting and travelling for that amount of time? Are you doing any much actual physio apart from the massive amount of walking you've done? I tried a few 'up step gluteus clenching ' yesterday and can feel that different muscles have been used today but it's not painful .
@ChrissyW do you feel like going back to work even though you had a pain was more positive than staying at home worrying about stuff?
I spoke to my GP and have a sick note to cover me till the end of July when I have another follow-up appointment with my consultant (hopefully )and will have an x-ray then too
(I got a letter yesterday outlining my recent postop appointment with a recovery practitioner)
because of one thing or another - trapped nerve, virus, general pain and medication, I had given up the idea of returning to work. However if I continue to feel this way by mid week then I will put myself on the on-call list I think to work from home. Doesn't it take a lot of energy and effort thinking about returning to work it should be so simple! If only things went to plan !
So today I have cooked us all breakfast ( sausage Sarnies!!) and ate it outside whilst reading last weeks Sunday paper and drinking coffee
My eldest daughter is visiting later, and we are hopefully all going out to a local Park for me to have a walk round and a celebratory ice cream.
I don't know about slinky trousers @ChrissyW That's the last time I wore tight trousers I was about 19 :scare:
I can't get trousers or tights on because of the angle I need to be at so just wear long skirts and a smile (and a nice top. ):snork:
My wound is healed but sort of numb and itchy and I'd give anything to be able to swim or get in the water too :swim:
However I've been lying on it at night for a few weeks now and massaging it with coconut oil or aloe vera - it's just a fine purple line with no lumps or bumps - I'm really pleased with it
Well my Sunday stunners I'll leave it there for now and wish you all a fabby day / afternoon/ evening :flwrysmile::loveshwr::egypdance:

However if I continue to feel this way by mid week then I will put myself on the on-call list I think to work from home
Sounds like a good plan! Would definitely get the old brain cells firing again. I'm so happy to be retired and not forced to get up and dressed and out at some horrible time of the morning! (And great news on the walking without aids!)
Although I do miss wearing 'nice' clothes I don't envy @ChrissyW having to do major try-on sessions to find something comfy. Hmm, that said, I think I might actually have some work capri trousers that were a bit stretchy so they might be comfy....might do a little root around my closet too!

Happy Sunday everyone :).
For some crazy reason last night I watched a YouTube video of hip replacement surgery.
Well I am not squeamish for sure and wont get descriptive ( it's there for anyone to see anyway,) but my take away from the video is this:
There is a reason for our slow back and forth recovery after what is done when we have the surgery. Just because its trauma under controlled conditions doesn't mean it's not trauma that it will take a length of time to heal from.
Kind of a relief in a way to realize it, better than every time I have a setback to think the surgery was either done wrong or has gone wrong!
We are having such rain here we have flash flood warnings but I plan on going to do a little shopping and to the gym to go on a slow elliptical ride and to do some arm weights as sleeveless has not been my best look this summer....
Going to see my granddaughter tomorrow! It's an 80 minute drive to their place. Trying to really appreciate summer as it will be a little shortened for me as I go back for hip number 2 in late August.
Hopefully the coming week will bring more healing and some pleasant times and sunshine ahead!
@Mayhip8 it sounds like you can always be uplifted by your family visiting. Hopefully your summer virus will continue to vanish.
@ChrissyW , have a great week at work no matter what you wear. I'm going to try to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. Hmmm maybe something on the grill.
Bye for now, :wave:

Hello and happy Sunday everyone. It's been lovely and sunny again here today though there are some ominous dark clouds around at the minute so there may be rain coming this evening. It's been a potter around day, visit to the coffee shop (habit!) thinking about the holiday an im getting quite excited now. @Mayhip8 i do think getting back to work has really helped me mentally as I was most definetly moving towards a sort of depression post op blues and I needed to communicate with people, see things and let my brain reactivate. However I'm seeing the doctor again this week and will be looking to maintain reduced hours to the end of term as there is no way I could physically manage a full week. I do need to do more hours, which is fine, as there are a number of commitments in school this week and next but I'm hoping they continue to be understanding. I think, like @ahipgma doing things but really listening to your body while regaining normality helps the recovery and @ahipgma good on you for making the most of this time before round 2. @Mayhip8 im not sure when I'll ever be back in tights, does anyone know when we can start putting them on (along with our underwear etc) normally? Also what about fastening shoes? I'm getting good at the golfers reach but obviously it doesn't allow the fastening of shoe laces?
Enjoy the rest of Sunday my rays of sunshine :SUNsmile::flwrysmile:

My wound is healed but sort of numb and itchy and I'd give anything to be able to swim or get in the water too
You and @ChrissyW are a few weeks ahead of me...but I just got the all clear to swim or bathe from my OS at my 6 week check. I realize your last OS visit was a nightmare, but perhaps you could phone and get the go ahead?
Does anyone know any rules about baths, soaking and wounds?
See above?

Skipping straight past a bathtub I'm going for broke and hoping to figure out how to get into (and out of) our new hot tub this week while still on 90 degree precautions! :shrug: As an ex California girl, I can't wait!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Can you believe it's been two months already?
It sounds like you're doing well except for the pesky cold you're dealing with. I hope it eases soon.
A lovely week to you!
@Mayhip8

@Layla Thankyou :loveshwr:
The thing is all day I've been thinking " why is this date so important? Have I forgotten someone's birthday/ a school event/ appointment ?! "
Then I logged in and there it is!! Two whole Months since my hip replacement!
It's flown by - though some days it might have dragged with worry, concern, discomfort, On others it flew by busyness and achievement - even the tiniest thing such as my first shower or hair wash!
I know for a fact I wouldn't have made such a happy or informed recovery had it not been for the support and friendship from yourself and other advisors on the forum,or indeed my new found hip sister buddies and other who have offered advice or a kind word - just passing the time decreases the sense of isolation that one can feel if they have no-one with similar experiences to compere or discuss.
So today finds me having a quiet but productive day
I went for a fairly long walk with my family around a park yesterday and am pleased I stretched myself just enough but not too much
Having slept well I had the energy to catch up with some of those tasks I've not been able to do since surgery .
I've also been editing and sorting through the 30000 pictures I have on my Mac ( I know!!) guess how far I got before I took a trip down memory lane and stopped being productive :heehee:
I made minestrone soup for dinner and can smell it wafting through the house as I type - we're having hot dogs, rolls and fried onions too!
The children are home from school now so I'd better feed them!-
If the evening stays dry I'm intending to go for my nightly walk before catching up with some telly
I still have this pesky cold and a really annoying cough so the fresh air should do me good!
Happy Monday to you all and it'll be lovely to hear how your day went :flwrysmile:
:loveshwr::roseshwr:

Good afternoon/evening ladies!
So I believe its 9 weeks for me if its 8 for you @Mayhip8. Sooo much we have plodded thru together and I so agree the forum has been so great both to visit the preop area and encourage and support those who are going thru it, and the setbacks and triumphs of recovery with our hippy sisters, not to mention our globetrotting adventures. Who would have thought how to put on undies and sleeping positions and pain medication could be such interesting subjects?
But it's the care and the laughter that went into the discussions that was so helpful.
Going visiting to see our fiesty little granddaughter at 3pm today.
So I cooked some goodies to take with so my daughter doesn't have to cook
Some gorgonzola walnut ravioli from the local Italian food store and I made a simple sauce out of fresh tomatoes and onions and olive oil to put over and a blueberry coffee cake for dessert.
What do you call coffee cake in the UK?
This is a cake made with biscuit mix with fresh blueberries folded in and topped with a sugary buttery crumb topping.
I keep telling myself its health food because of the blueberries but even I can't rationalize it that much:whistle:.
@Mayhip8 I hope you new hip is doing as well as mine on your walks.
I try hard just to pay attention to the new hip to evaluate its function and at almost 9 weeks out I'm so pleased!
Of course it's not 100% but its feeling more like "me" every day!
@ChrissyW hope your workdays continue to make you feel back in the swim mentally and you new hip just goes along for the ride. agree with @Calgal that you probably could ease up on your hip precautions as around now is generally the time. I go pretty much any which way I want now and would experiment with tying shoes except no way will my undone hip let me! What are tights in the UK? If you mean pantyhose I can get them on but it really involves some gyrations!:heehee: but right now we dont wear them much but to look professional on the job they would be needed? Nurses just wear scrubs these days which I am grateful for
Otherwise I just let my sad pale pasty legs show to the world.
Guess I'd better move said legs and clean up my kitchen mess and get packed--staying overnight at my daughters.
Doesnt sorting photos make you realize how time has passed, @Mayhip8?
It's almost like you're transported and when you turn the computer off it's like coming back through a time tunnel.
But if the memories are good it's such a pleasant trip!!!
:roseshwr:and:friends:.

What do you call coffee cake in the UK?
As an expat I had to learn the hard way! In UK coffee cake really IS coffee flavored cake and no other type. So what we Americans call coffee cake the Brits would just call .... CAKE! :heehee: well to make it even more complicated in the UK all desserts can be referred to as 'pudding'. That one really confused me at first. Now I know better. Don't even get me started on 'pants'.... :rofsign:

Happy 2 month hipaversay to you and @Mayhip8 and @ChrissyW!

Can kind of figure out what's meant by the context. It's fun!
Interesting that it's all called "English" but so much idiom, slang and the like.

@ahipgma happy 9 weeks!
What a difference even 7 days makes! When I read last week that you were walking around without your cane because you had left it back at your lodgings I admit to a pinge of envy! I was in such pain this time last week ! I couldn't envisage being at the stage you described - considering we both have 'other hips' that need doing and yet I'm writing this from my nest after my evening shower having had my evening walk with one crutch ( that to be honest I barely used!) I'll continue having it for stability until I'm confident but my goodness!! I'm on the top,of that wave at the moment :old:
I'm even nearly wanting to put my left leg in front of me to climb the stairs - I've done one or two up steps and not had too much discomfort - it just needs more strength I think .
Your meal plan sounds divine:SUNsmile: I'm sure you'll have a wonderful visit with your family :flwrysmile:
Coffee cake is as @Calgal says is a sponge cake made with a coffee flavour
Pudding is generally a steamed sponge/ pastry with fruit or savoury fillings OR a baked milk based with rice/macaroni/semolina/tapioca OR or another word for "dessert" ...
'Pants' can be trousers, leggings, knickers, panties,slacks,jeans,heavy breathing..
Tights are 'pantyhose' stockings,nylons .. Either way I can't put them on myself !
I wore scrubs when I worked on ITU or HDU
For wards we have to wear either dresses with tights or tunics with trousers
I'm office based at the moment but may have a face to face triage assessment to carry out so wear a nurse tunic
And dark trousers , When I work from home I wear a dark top and skirt as I like to feel " professionally dressed"
Whichever way I like to,- 'de-uniform' as soon as I get off work as I find I wear a different hat when dressed in nursing related attire'.
I'm wittering on now so I'll wish you all a peaceful and calm evening :loveshwr::roseshwr:and a restful nights sleep .

Thanks for the enlightenment on terminology! :ok:The meal went well and little Ariana shoveled in the pasta.
You know how when your children were toddlers how they could just squat down and spring up into the air with perfect balance once they get confidence with their walking? I marvel at her. Then I see her going up the steps on all fours because she is too short I say "aha! Now shes doing a move like grandma".
I went one foot over the other upstairs the first week by mistake and it was scary, like my leg wasn't going to hold me.
Since then I do lot of hauling myself up by the handrail on steps but can do one foot over the other unless I'm carrying something heavy.
I'm so very glad you're able to enjoy some walking without much crutch assistance
And that your pain is subsiding.
Kind of makes you think all setbacks were worth it, and your left leg will be the strong one soon for when you get your right done!
I think I'm going to take a warm shower and pop into bed, as Ari gets up at 7am!
I hope as I write you are enjoying:sleeep:and will wake tomorrow to:SUNsmile: and many more nice:walking:s.

Hello everyone. Thought I'd stop by this morning as my iPad was flat as a pancake last evening and I also think it's on it's last legs because every web page just keeps reloading, well it was last night!! :banghead:
Anyway wha a lovely start to my day hearing your chirpy stories. Who'd have thought coffee cake could be anything other than a coffee flavoured cake ( which happens to be a favourite of mine with walnuts in the mix)
I was really tired after work, well even before work to be honest, so had a nice nap when I got home. I had to start the day earlier actually as I needed to do the assembly and some telling off ( well I needed them to know I was back!! We have a great good cop bad cop routine when I need to but on my stern face before going in to my office to chuckle):no-fin:
Well the last 2 nights have blessed me with lovely sleep and I've not needed any pain relief during the night at all. I've a doctors appointment this morning so a later start but ladies I feel from our stories we are all at a good stage on our journey so like the saying onwards and upwards.
@Mayhip8 well done on your abilities as an interpreter, amazing how such differences exist ( back to the coffee cake idea) I remember on a visit hiw chocolate pudding is not that lovely gooey steaming pudding covered in some form of custard to everyone!! However no blame being cast anywhere as we need to maintain our entente cordiale and avoid any leaked emails surfacing! Who knows what interpretation may be given to our debate over the meaning of pants, which in student language used in the phrase 'it's pants' also means 'it's rubbish'. I've decided that until needs must I will ignore the tights/pantyhose question and not even bother and just see when other things happen naturally. Stairs are generally still one at a time but I'm wondering if that has simply become my normal from pre surgery anyway so hopefully that too will be left to nature, though I wish I could just do them naturally as at the minute, at work, one of the lifts isn't working and when leaving the building, only leaving may I add, I'm using the stairs as the other lift is at the opposite side of the building. It's a longer walk in the morning to get to the office and I'm going to have to bite the bullet I expect and walk up the stairs too (well I've no idea why I've avoided them so far when I'm doing stairs at home)
Well @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma and @Calgal have another positive day and hopefully, iPad permitting I will get the opportunity to catch up when I get home. :friends::yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom