THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Hi ladies
Thought I would pop in one last time while dear granddaughter plays herself out a little
We had a bath already ,then stories then bed.
Then hopefully, Antiques Roadshow.
Also the New York Times crossword on Monday is easy enough for me to do.
Guests gone home (younger daughter and my mom.)My lasagne came out well.
What a pain to put together but yummy to eat. It's the little things!
Yep, you're next @Mayhip8 and I am sure
You will get a great report.
With all our speculation and worry it's nice to hear from the OS who cut you open that it's all Ok!
My scar is well healed.,still a little lumpy and painful, its curved but about 9 inches long. I actually can sleep on that side now.
They used glue.
I think India would be nice.
My daughter and hub went over after they were married in 2016 to visit his extended family. The Taj Mahal sounds great. Just that my daughter got horrid dysentery from accidentally ingesting tap water.
But exotic with bottled water sounds divine. Sleep well my dears:sleeep::sleep:

My wound is bothering me - there's a tiny area at the end where the suture was trimmed that is not healing - I'm keeping an eye on it
I had this in 2011, show it to a Dr. My infection was monitored and treatment sought out by my Physio. Taking photos will not heal it.

I can't understand this site today! I thought I hadn't posted

I can't understand this site today! I thought I hadn't posted
In that I wrote a big post before and it didn't respond - but misunderstood the above was a previous quote! Thankyou for your advice @Ariel

Well Today is turning out good so far !
I slept a refreshing sleep
An unexpected ( but known to me :shocked: visitor ) cut my toenails!!!!!
She offered.... How random that felt I must say- but what a relief ! It truely is the small things in life that give me greatest pleasure!
I'm walking without my crutches in side the house
I'm positive and feeling happy
My wound is still a tad ( pin prick) open and the suture is visible but no signs of sinus or infection I reckon it will fall out in a day or so - I'll be reluctant to have antibiotics as I have multiple allergies and think it will be fine .
I'm resting after a busy morning and think I may just go out for a walk to the park later - see a bit of greenery!
The site was not responding before but appears to be ok now
-will post later

:wave: and good to hear of small victories.:yes:
I slept a refreshing sleep
That's when we do our best healing and isn't it grand!:yes!:

An unexpected ( but known to me :shocked: visitor ) cut my toenails!!!!!
yea, great, but how will you scratch the back of your other ankle when it itches?:rotfl:

Last edited:
Afternoon ladies. I too had problems today. The site wouldn't update and then just gave a server error message like yesterday. I too had a friend visit. It was a good catch up and nice to see her with her 17week baby bump coming along nicely (and my belated birthday present too!) the thigh still annoying me but nice to hear everyone sounding upbeat today! @mayhip at last you've been waiting for that pedicure so go girl. Did the toe nails get a painting too? @ahipgma lasagna is one of my favourites. As an Italian, from the dough, we make it quite differently to northern Italians and it includes boiled egg, meatballs and Italian sausage along with bolognaise or ragu and bechamel with lots of cheese between ghd layers. Like you say, hard work and takes ages but yummy. I like the burnt, crisp bits best especially where the pasta sticks to the pan. :ok:
Have a wonderful evening my lovelies and hopefully tomorrow we will find everything normal with no glitches in the system:unsure:

Hello all!
Trying my luck with the site today.
Got my grand daughter up and going then went to my moms to take her to the eye doctor now back. The hospital my mom visited for her appointment is very large, was glad to take my trusty cane with me.
Hub is working from home helping to watch little Ari.
I am lying on my stomach as I write.
That is so joyful! Wont try to sleep that way because might unconsciously turn toes in but oh oh have I missed this!!!!
@ChrissyW, as a person of German Irish descent I just follow the recipe on the back of the lasagne box but I use my (Italian descent) hubs homemade sauce
(Ragu?) In the layers. You can't have all those cheese layers and good sauce without it being yummy.
My granddaughter ate so much of it but she also loves her Indian grandmas curries so there you have an around the world diet.
@Mayhip8 I had my professional pedicure weeks ago and it is wonderful to willingly show your feet in public.
I dont know the next time I'll be able to do it myself. So glad you're feeling optimistic
That's important for healing too, as we tell our patients all the time and the good sleep! Things on the up and up!!!
:wink: hope the day is lovely!....

And according to me and my family I make the best lasagna in the world from scratch to an old and trusted recipie using lashings of rich bolognese , Ragu, bechamel, cheeses, more cheese, cheese, with the crispiest and crunchiness of the baked on around the dish topping ( no boasting there then!:loll:!) ....however...@ChrissyW your recipie sounds really intriguing and tasty and I'd love to try it! @ahipgma yours sounds divine too - your heritage and ethnic mix in the family must be so enriching- what a blessing to have all the influences in your lives -
So after the Taj Mahal and Best exotic Marigold hotel ' virtucation' we should perhaps meet in the top restaurant in Italy and prepare our lasagnes for the clientele and see the glee on their faces as they sample the wares of The Hipsister chefs ' :bow:
And then my day got better -
I asked a good friend to review my wound ( luckily she's a nurse !!) and we agree that it's fine at the moment and nothing to worry about- will obvs monitor .
All of this loveliness had such a positive effect that I went for an afternoon nap and slept another two hours!!!!
So now I'm going to spend some time with the lovely girl child and watch some TV together :yes::)
@ahipgma I'm a tummy sleeper too -I couldn't get on my tummy over the last few months as my hips wouldn't even move that far!!.. I wonder if I'll ever be able to sleep on my tummy again- how did you get on your tummy without twisting your hip?

In a nutshell this happy hippy toe -nailed clippy
Is chuffed and snuggled for a TV watching Huggle
Later my lovelies :loveshwr::roseshwr:

:loveshwr:Morning:wave:How weird that you two, @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma , are both tummy sleepers. I'd always been a side or back sleeper ( moving between them) until this last year when the in,y way I could lie with any comfort was completely flat on my front, no pillow and I hated it. Strange what feels natural to one person is alien to others! :chinstroke:
Hope you both got good sleep and glad you had some girl time with your daughter @Mayhip8 I also love the idea of us teaching those other chefs how to make lasagne! Also good that you got a second opinion re the wound to reassure you. Are you having to cover it at all?
Have a good day and I'll catch you later to see what updates we have to share:friends:

Bore da ( good morning in Welsh)
A loveLy bright cheery welcome to the day it is too @ChrissyW
Well - I slept a bit pants last night- no particular reason but feel ok
So I've been up and about and cleaned the bathroom and showered and dusted the bedroom and had some fresh fruit for breakfast ( to start the day healthy as part of my new regime!!... No doubt back to cake by tea time - ( laughing emoji )
And I have vague plans to walk to my local shops - can't buy anything as I can't carry it!!!
Are you bobbing to Costa today ?
Will you go anywhere with Ari @ahipgma ?
My wound is so tiny that I don't need a dressing ( I'm glad because I'm so bloomin sensitive to plasters etc ) I still have a rash from the drape tapes they used in theatres.
So I'll check back and hope we all have a positive and safe day (hugs and happy emoji ) xx
Sites playing up and will report it if I can !

Good morning--
To both @Mayhip8 and @ChrissyW
Kind of interrupted sleep last night, it has been so humid and rainy here for days on end. Looking for some sun!
Hip #2 is not good today, counted days till OP--62-- not wanting to wish any away life
But just wanting to get it over. I dont take much pain med to speak of-- aleve and tylenol. But maybe to go back on some Tramadol here and there if not driving.
@Mayhip8 sounds wonderful that you're out and about! I know what you mean about carrying stuff seems to light up the hips-- but just getting out raises the spirits.
Went to a town hall meeting about traffic patterns in our little neighborhood
A new housing plan was added to everyone's dismay and some of the new folks are speeding through-- what a circus!
The police chief was there and our district politician was there and some ladies were there shouting out of order. Left early and when I got home hub asked did I enjoy my outing! I had to laugh, such drama was giving me pain in a place other than my hip!
Yesterday I took a short rest on my stomach, just kind of lowered myself straight on to the bed with my feet hanging off the end so no toes turned in
I remember after both my daughters were born rolling over on my stomach for the first time when I could. Ahhhh.
Daughter coming to pick up Ari today after she grabs some sleep after her 12 hr night shift. Making pork roast in the crock pot with some mashed potatoes and steamed cauliflower. Chocolate pudding for dessert!
Hope the sun is shining where you are dear friends! :friends::loveshwr:

Ok @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma i will start with the most important. Your dinner sounds like it is going to be wonderful, especially the cauliflower and chocolate pudding ( not together nosy I add). So all good at pt, got a couple of new exercises and shown how to get up and down from the floor. I wish I had some little local shops to potter down to but I'm in a village where we can definetly drink and look nice ( 3 pubs all within walking distance of each other with 2 hairdressers in between them, and 2 beauty salons but other than those, a car sales and the co op the only other shop is the suite centre and I went there a couple of weeks ago and they would think I was the odd woman just looking at the same sofas over again. Although I say theses are all within walking distance I'm not sure it would be walkable for me yet. I'm going to go out with hubby this evening and test 'drive'! ( by the way not test drive him, it sounded odd when I proof read the message) How exciting!
For some reason today I'm having to consciously remind myself not to cross my legs because for do,e reason it's all I want to do but I WILL RESIST!:good-bad:

I'm so full of energy again today! And when I wonder why I think it's because I'm not taking the codeine in fact only had one lot of paracetamol this morning..
I went for a walk round the area but not to the shops as its a little too far according to my husband ( and he's right)
Hubby came with me so I tried to sit in my car to see how I'd get on - it was a bit of a faff getting in - it would be ok but I'm not in a hurry to drive if I don't need to.
I've done some light housework and made some butternut squaush soup for tea - I'm liking pork and mash though! @ahipgma
Will anything get resolved about your traffic issues? I'm not convinced meetings and public debates mean very much these days... Moving swiftly on from British politics :scare:

@ChrissyW I'm intrigued about getting up and down off the floor!!! How and why?
I was given a leaflet with new excercises for after 6 weeks ( tomorrow Yey!) but I Tried a few today - they are similar to ones I was given a few years ago to strengthen muscles to prevent the need for surgery. They are a bit difficult because it puts a strain on my other hip -so we'll see how it goes..
Well then - enjoy your test drive with your husband later- go easy and enjoy the sense of achievement ! ( and yes I am giggling)
Have fun ladies :loveshwr::roseshwr:

Actually took Ari to the park 1/2 mile from the house, swung on swing then blew soap bubbles then home. The humidity is so high I was sweating with almost no exertion.
You know though i hate to say it but this surgery and its limitations has made me weaker and out of shape ( not that i ever was Madonna or anything)
After 2nd surgery will have to try to improve all that.
So @ChrissyW what was the strategy for getting up and down? And they put such fear of God I to me about dislocation I dont know if I will ever cross my legs again!!!
Glad about your wound @mayhip 8-- we as nurses know what can go wrong so I think we are extra paranoid. Mine is not pretty and still hurts to rest on at night but its healing without mishap.
Off to check my crockpot, enjoy shopping and test driving, etc! :SUNsmile: sun emoji because I haven't seen it!

Good morning hippy sisters. :flwrysmile:
@Mayhip8 and @ahipgma my suggestion is don't get excited to get up and down off the floor. I answer to your specific question @Mayhip8 and the need, other than some if the new moves are floor based I see absolutely no need at this point and when I tried I got down to both knees but couldn't get down further so itwas a fail! Test drive went fine and I could do everything needed however after a positive dsy on the whole haven't slept more than an hour. moved in my granny chair in the evening and the thigh pain just got worse so I'll be doing more research today! @Mayhip8 pottering to the shops can wait hope you weren't too disappointed ! By the way I agree that getting in the car is a pain (quite literally for a second!)@ahipgma bubbles in the park sounds fantastic and I think the 3 if us should somehow incorporate bubbles (and maybe swings) into our next virtual visit although having written this I'm now getting images of strange 1960s places, psychedelic colours and those swinging chairs which wasn't the image I was going for! Hope your crock pot tea was a joy, and the chocolate pudding would no doubt have been luxurious (such a nice word that actually resonates with its meaning when you say it slowly!). Your house will feel very quiet without little Ari wont it? How often do you look after her?
My eldest, who lives in London, has just confirmed he's coming up this weekend and it will be th first time we will have met his French girlfriend as each time they've both planned coming in the past something happened so I'm looking forward to meeting her and showing her some italo Yorkshire hospitality
Hope you both slept well and have exciting plans for the day ( well more exciting than mine which are actually none!)
Looking forward to your updates :yes!:

Good morning on this June Thursday that thinks it's October...apologies in advance for the whinging @ahipgma and @ChrissyW et al
This site keeps crashing in the morning but I 'll keep on trying to post ( have reported it)
I'm going to start from the bleak and brighten it up I think..
I had a terrible night !!!
I had nightmares about falling in the shower and shouting but no-one could hear me ( now I know what a tree in the Forrest at night feels like )
I actually had to check myself when I woke from it that it was only a dream, I then had another bad dream about being in an open top carriage in a train on the way to Wales ( where I was working a night shift ?!! ) when a wall from a garden above the train track collapsed and was about to fall on top of me- I could see it happening so moved out of the way in time to get minor scrapes only -! And a further one which is too wierd to begin to explain!!!
Looking back I only had 30mg of codiene yesterday have been having 120/150mg a day so possibly having a withdrawal episode?
Probably should titrate dose down gradually
I also have deep femur pain today, maybe a reflection of increased activity and under medication yesterday plus I think I was thrashing around in the night - I found myself lying on the wrong side so I must've been well away with the fairies. !!!
No other red flag symptoms so I dare say that today will progress without much problem. I'm planning a quiet one today too, I have no plans to get up and down off the floor even if somebody showed me how to!!! It wasn't the most dignified thing I did before my operation in fact it was a sight to behold never to be unseen so perhaps I won't ever just yet again
@ahipgma isnt it strange how just a short time of reduced mobility impacts on our movement? In a few months time when your ( our) other hips are mended it will be time to get our strength back and increase to wherever we want to be ,I'm sure . I want to swim and go hiking again - I used to cycle but the traffic on our roads are unforgiving so I might leave that for gentle country paths on weekend breaks.

I love blowing soap bubbles I love watching the children run after them and try and burst them! I quite like photography and will use bubbles and water spray and some of my pictures of outside to add another dimension- again I'm looking forward to be able to get back to my hobby. Positive and positive! Maybe You could bring some to The Best Excotic excursion ?
@ChrissyW ahhh I bet your'e so excited your son and his girlfriend are visiting this weekend - how lovely And to meet his girlfriend too - a special time indeed.
Well I'm leaving it here for now
I thinks it's time for a brew and to see if this will finally post
Laters lovelies :angel:

Afternoon. Seems like we have both had a 'downer'day @Mayhip8 i wonder how @ahipgma is. What was it with last night. I wonder if the ,pon was in any specific phase that could explain anything? My thigh has been awful all day and to add I've either gig a cold or my hay fever is starting up again as JD been sneezing. However every time I sneeze I get a sharp pain in my thigh! :cry:
Drove myself to the doctors today so they was good but I just wish we were all up, running and instead if virtually visiting actually getting out there. Glad you like photography and play around with settings. Actually the don coming up is a professional photographer (in fashion). He's just left a really well known photographer as his first assistant and hone on his own do its a scary time hoping he can build contracts and contacts.
Enjoy the rest of the day and like you say this cold weather is becoming a real pain in the prosthetic hip scar area!!!:gaah::blackcloud:

Hello!
From the land of gloom ,clouds and flash flooding. Ugh!!!
Tomorrow FINALLY we are going to get some sun. I hope if the sun is shining anywhere it's on you, dear hippy sisters!
House is way too quiet now, but Ari was ever so glad to see her mom and hung on for dear life when my daughter arrived yesterday. The crockpot pork and mashed potatoes and pudding were delish, @ChrissyW and we have leftovers to boot! In answer to your question for a few days maybe once or twice a month we have our granddaughter with us, when both her parents have to stay at the hospital for a little stretch overnight.
Easier for them to come home and sleep.
Our kids bought us our own set of equipment for her so we just drag it up and down from the basement for each stay. Totally worth it!
Glad for you that you get to see your son and meet his girlfriend, Chrissy.
A cheering visit helps!
Just jumped off composing my post to read yours @Mayhip8 as I received the alert.
My deal last night was knee pain-- I thought what the----? So like any BS member I searched posts for knee pain worried that next was knee surgery. Was reassured that this can happen after hip replacement.
I alternate between thigh pain and groin pain and incision pain-- not terrible but discouraging. So last night I climbed out of bed and took a tramadol to add on to my tylenol and had a decent night. I hope tonight is better for you both!!! @Mayhip8 I've had those dreams, sometimes they hang on for awhile after you wake up and are upsetting.
I do get up and down off the floor.
I drag chair to wherever I have to get down and awkwardly hang on to that and scramble up.
My thing to ask you both about is standing up from a chair and starting to walk. Its hurts and is so hard! After a few steps it's ok really, but the start is tough and embarassing when in company. I've started to just stand still for a few seconds then start out. I wonder I'd I ever will spring up like a gazelle from a chair again?:shrug:.
Well time to get up and hobble around and do some house keeping-- it's getting on for teatime for you both. Perhaps you took a nap today?
Love and hugs:) :-) (:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562