THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

:flwrysmile:Good afternoon ladies
I've had lovely sociable day today - It turned around my day after a really rubbish night which saw me in big pain in my right hip -up,every hour despite meds Finally I hobbled off to the bathroom and had a 4.30Am shower - something to pass the time and alternate hot and cold on my painful bits. Then treated my self to a cup of tea downstairs and watched the world and birds wake up.
I did manage a few hours sleep after I returned to bed at 06.30 and then my sister came to visit - I have four sisters and we always have a great laugh and catch up- this time over copious cups of tea and ginger nut biscuits!
In fairness apart from an apple and yoghurt that's all I've eaten today so hopefully my cheeky little one piece will still look decent.
I went out for a little the walk too @ChrissyW however the weather is positively bordering on Arctic !!...( not quite but really?where is that sun?!!) you're definitely warmer indoors watching telly!
@ahipgma Im glad you've got the confidence to not undertake physio that worsens your situation. I know the 4x daily physio I was doing post op really flared up my Unoperated hip and am so pleased I came across the info on this site. I'm happy that I'm managing my own kinder regime at the moment.
It sounds like you have a lovely evening to look forward to with your girlfriend- just the ticket to keep spirits up
I'm having a quiet one this evening- a bit of telly watching and then settling early in case I can't sleep !
I do hope Michael Hugh and Idris are looking forward to meeting us as much a we are them.
There will be so much shimmer and shine we shall light up the atmosphere with our outfits and dazzling personality :roseshwr::spin::happydance:
Love and hugs :friends:

:wave:@Mayhip8 ginger snaps, in fact any biscuit with ginger, is my favourite. The school often puts ginger biscuits out at parents evenings and I always sneak a few back to the office for the following day so me and my colleague can indulge. As much as school kitchens go they make darn good ginger biscuits. Yummy!
Glad your day sounds to have raised your spirits after a rubbish night but what a good idea to shower to pass time. Creative thinking all the way! You can only get up, down, visit the loo and do a lap of the room so many times before you're ready to scream!:yikes: ( been waiting to find a reason to use this emoji! )
@ahipgma , you, me and @Mayhip8 are going to be amazing in our shimmer and shine bathing costumes- don't forget on virtual visits you will always resemble Samantha from sex and the city so no worries there. Unfortunately my desire for cake has not disappeared and I don't know why I somehow think that a cake will suddenly appear in a cupboard when I've looked in it at least twice already!:shrug:
Enjoy the rest of the day relaxing or doing whatever makes you happy (as long as ice and elevation are included too!)
Big hugs xx:friends::loveshwr:

Good morning
It's a day for Rememberance and gratitude to those who gave their lives so we may live with the freedoms we have today. I can't begin to imagine the horrors and sights those young men experienced on this day in particular and the wars in general. May they be remembered and the fallen rest in peace.

I wonder what today will bring for us all?
I slept eventually after 0330 Am
I was in pain a lot - I can't work out wether to go with the ( frustrating flow) or try another approach
I think the pain is A) post op pain- I can understand that and it's at night when the deep bone pain or pulling around my scar is worse . B) arthritis in my right hip . C) groin pain in both groins -I'm feeling like that might be tight muscles
In the big scheme of things I know this will pass and it's early days but crikey it's a long night alone isn't it -? I look at my husband sleeping peacefully and snoring and I feel a surge of love for him, then a surge of absolute jealousy and want to prod him awake to tell him how annoying it is that he can sleep ..:loll::nah:

@ChrissyW did you find any cake, ginger nuts or sleep ? I often wonder why we don't crave lettuce,or cabbage?
I now have a great mental image of teachers on parents evening with pockets full of ' purloined ginger snaps waiting to be enjoyed in the staff room. I shall be more observant next time I go to my children's school meetings!!!
However how about some delicious decadent dark chocolate and chocolate gingers to be packed in your flight bag and brought to the blue lagoon?
@ahipgma how did your evening go? Did you tune into 'The BBC' to see your president rubbing shoulders with our royal family? It's reported that he described our Queen as being 'like his grandmother ' Which got me wondering......
What advice did your grandmother offer that sticks with you or ( I know!- stay with it-) What advice would you give to your teenage self.. It can be as serious or light heated as you wish
For example :-
My paternal Grandmother or ( Mamgu) as we called her in Welsh, was a wise and gentle lady who had the amazing skill of listening and empathising without judgement once advised me that her and her husband never went to bed on an argument and used to link their little fingers before going to sleep even if they did feel grumpy with each other..:roseshwr:
If I were to tell my teenage self anything it would be " don't wear nylon clothing and then touch metal lift buttons in carpeted department stores...(OH! The static electricity HURTS!!! And made me jump and shout out!! Just when I was trying to be conspicuous and felt gawky) :bolt:...(loving these emojis!)

So I'll leave it there for now
I'll Bob by later in the meantime have a kind and caring type of day :flwrysmile:

@Mayhip8 Do you need more medication at night? Sounds like you are under medicated.
On average I'm on 4gms paracetamol and 120mg codiene in 24 hrs
And just 2mg diazepam night because I don't want to be spaced out in the day . I can't take NSAIDS or COX inhibitors- occasionally I smidge a bit of voltarol gel on my Unoperated hip
I've always been a rubbish sleeper- shift work and in recent years arthritis pain
I'm sort of coping but if you happened to have a magic wand I wouldn't decline it!!
Thanks for your reply

I look at my husband sleeping peacefully and snoring and I feel a surge of love for him, then a surge of absolute jealousy and want to prod him awake to tell him how annoying it is that he can sleep
:loll:
Can definitely relate...felt the same way.

Almost one month from having a bad hip joint replaced...and I think you are doing very well.
I had sleep problems for quite some time but it was not necessarily pain that was disrupting it.
As Jaycey mentions, you may want to think about better night meds.
Power naps were my saving grace!:sleep:
Keep the faith, still early days.
Hope today is a Good Day.:tada:

@Mojo333 Thankyou . I do feel I'm making good progress on some days - on others I read too much about different people doing amazing things quicker than I can but actually forget that we are at different stages of arthritis or injury. That's why this forum on this site is so reassuring for me :flwrysmile:

I think you are doing just fine.
Slow and steady wins this race, and there are those who suffer repercussions from their insistence on reaching milestones.
Your body is definitely in charge! And our bodies are all different.
I want this to be my forever hips so I let the rest vie for first to walk unaided, first to drop pain meds, first back to work...

I am proud to say my hips are jam up and jelly tight!
:chuckmarch:

:yes!:Good day to everyone. I've just been watching the DDday remembrance, truly moving.
@Mayhip8 chocolate gingers yum! Unfortunately I got no cake but I found (well the hubby did) a salted caramel E lice cream cone in the freezer and it was very nice but I could still eat cake- I'm becoming very Marie Antoinetteesque but clearly it's not let them eat cake but let me eat it! And you are completely right about us teachers, if biscuits are placed anywhere we will have light fingers and heavy pockets!
I'm getting fed up of trying to sleep and am just getting on with it. I actually think the sleeping is a bit better as I reflected this morning. I did keep falling asleep but waking with some ache or pain based on position. I had to bend my knee up to ease the pain and then have a trot around the room and try again do I think I managed a few 1 hr sleeps between 3 loo visits and 3 walks. I'm going to be happy with whatever u can get because I'm fed up of being mopey and feeling sorry for myself. I may change again(as a female I'm allowed to be fickle) but I've decided today is a positive day, everything will work out for the better and all the aches and pains we are feeling are just evidence that we are healing and our bodies are working and like Doris said 'che sera sera'
Hope today brings you both, @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma, good things, as well as either ginger snaps, Percy pigs or cake
My mother in law popped in to see me, she's as wonderful as her son and it was nice having company for a couple of hours.
and before I go my gran was and always will be my role model and idol and she taught me so much. She too always said never go to bed I an argument and she also taught me the importance of being able to shut up to keep the peace. When, as a obnoxious teenager, I'd argue with my mum my gran would always be stood behind her, with her finger up to her lips reminding me I would never win an argument with my mother and just shutting up would be the best course of action. Count to 10 and breathe!
And what would I tell my teenage self- a perm, green tights and a rara skirt did not look cool!:loll::spin:

Hi all
So good to read everyone's posts, our trio and all who drop by.
It makes my morning because I know even as we're across the sea ,we have the same situation and work on getting back to our normal, cheerleading each other along the way.
I have the sleep thing down ok, I get about 2-3 hrs at a time and I'm in bed for about seven. Usually one or 2 loo trips does it for me and that is standard even before surgery just have to keep my mind off the hamster wheel as I get back in bed from my loo trip and get myself situated with pillows and wait for sleep to return.
I made the right decision to stop formal physio I had this groin pain yesterday that really scared me, that shot down to my knee. I read your thread @ChrissyW about your concerns with that!!! Then I remember your turn @mayhip 8, when you consulted Dr Google WAY too much when you were afraid something got injured a while back, so I stopped my consultation with the internet and got on with it. There are a lot of ups and downs to this recovery thing. Especially as I have #2 to deal with, so I have to try to stay on an even keel.
I have my daughter and granddaughter coming tomorrow for a visit for a few days. Will try to insert a picture. very proud my kids are both healers by profession and throw my son- in- law in too.
Hmm. I had one grandmother who dyed her hair red and was pretty crazy.
My other grandma was an Austrian immigrant who was very Lutheran and baked bread that would float off the table.
Both worked hard to raise their large families without any modern conveniences like we have today. I learned about persistence and courage from both of them.
I take your post to heart too @Mojo333
And have tough because the song "Jam up and Jelly tight" from the 60s is running through my head! There is a lot of wisdom in what you say!!That's why this forum is so great. Hope everyone has a good day and thanks for just being there. 5052.jpeg 4646.jpeg

:hi:It's a wonderful feeling being a proud mummy isn't it @ahipgma . I've just had a lovely chat with my son, a good old catch up and working out when he can pop up to visit around his work schedule. We talk regularly (as with his brother too) but don't get to spend time together enough. Your grand daughter is a real cutie, what a happy, cheeky face!
As you'd have seen from my post this morning I've decided it's time to 'man up' ( no offence to anyone and if we're politically correct then 'human up') see each day as a step closer to a much better, pain free future and just take it all as part of the healing process. I'm glad you're getting up to 3 hrs sleep at a time and I suppose we can't complain about loo visits, flushing out the system and all that so it's another positive!
Enjoy the rest of the day (and just to update you on the UK weather it's flippin cold again in Yorkshire)
:yahoo::happydance:

Our kids are one of the reasons we have the surgery-- to be active as possible again. It does feel good to catch up with them.
Read your post again and took courage from that. I feel like I need to be more forward looking and positive, too.
We have warm sunny weather here today so I think I'll get my cane and hobble down the road a little.
:climb::) :-) (:

What a lovely positive feeling this thread has again today.
@ahipgma your family are beautiful and your granddaughter is scrumptious! You'll have such a fabulous time I'm sure when they visit. You must be so proud of them
@ChrissyW being a proud mum and having great chats with our children is a real pleasure and one I hope I'll never take for granted
I've loved feeling part of our shared experiences today and hearing about strong women who influenced us in different ways (despite the wearing of perms and Rara skirts!!)
As the day has gone on I have had a strange feeling that I've turned a corner - like perspective just clicked into place and I've walked a small/fair amount either with one or no crutch without too much discomfort.
I'm not saying it will be like that tommorow but you can't take away the good feeling today !
I'm off for a pampering shower now and will catch up a particular telly documentary program whilst relaxing in my nest.
Wishing everyone a comfortable and restful evening and night :loveshwr::yes:

@Mayhip8 and @ahipgma i think we can all say today has been a good one and we are so appreciative now of the smallest improvements, be they short or long term changes towards our destination. Maybe what we go through and the roller coaster of ups and downs serves the purpose of making us appreciate everything far more. I can even look back and appreciate the rara skirt (though the perm is still debatable). Ladies whatever the night brings we are most definetly progressing onwards, upwards, forwards and towards a much better place. So glad we got together and are supporting each other on our journeys and let's see what tomorrow brings. Happy thoughts my lovelies:roseshwr:

Joy of joys!!!
I rested better last night
I lay on my operated side for a few minutes with no pain
I was up and went for a walk outside at 6Am ( yes! 6Am!) it was lovely and sunny and I couldn't resist it as I felt so good!
I came back to my nest about 8 am and had a snooze !
I just managed to bring a fresh cup of coffee upstairs by myself
And then...
I ordered a whole load of shopping to be delivered tonight and when I checked out my iPad crashed and my trolley was emptied. Not a happy bunny. :gaah:
To console myself I reached for my coffee and promptly spilt it all over my units and on the carpet.:tantrum:

Imagine knowing that you're not supposed to be bending down and just watching the coffee dribble, nay , pour down the front of the units.

I did react and safely managed to mop it up. And now my nest has a beautiful aroma of freshly ground coffee :dubious:
Will it spoil my day? No! It jolly well won't!
How is everyone today?
Shall we meet for afternoon tea later to discuss our Blue lagoon trip?
I've booked the IVY in London for 3PM.
We could get a helicopter or stretch limo to get us there.. :yahoo::giggle:

:wave:And a good day to you. I think a stretch limo, but we'd need to set off soon otherwise the helicopter may give us more time with our glam squads @ahipgma and @Mayhip8 . I too am still upbeat today and even though sleep was still interrupted by some hip pain (I'm wondering if it's something to do with that muscle people keep referring to, it begins with p, and pulls/hurts at front of thigh (ooh it's like playing blockbusters) i did manage sleep in between so still feel things are on the up.
I've pottered around this morning, received a delivery I'd ordered from Hobbs (couldn't resist as it was a real sale bargain and they'd also sent me a £20 voucher so it would have been rude not to spend it. It's a lovely red jumpsuit, I could wear it for our afternoon tea! Actually found myself having walked to the door to answer it without any walking stick and it was quite straight (I had a really obvious limp before the op)
I'm watching a very strange film at the minute called Fashionista on sky. To be honest I don't understand it yet and there is only 40mins of it left. It's like 2 separate stories with the same character but they are run to be one and the same. Hopefully I'll know what it was about by the end (there had better be a twist that makes things clear).
Well ladies afternoon tea and planning will be wonderful and I'll get my cake at last!
Glad you had a good night and woke with such positivity @Mayhip8 . Don't be worrying about the dribbled coffee, coffee smells good and it will wipe away later. You just sit back, chill and get ready for afternoon tea. By the way is the sun still out with you, it had disappeared here by 10am!
:happydance::friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom