THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

Happy Saturday to you too @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma . The pt side if side sleeping was to be tried it should be on the operated side but I still daren't and am sticking to trying on my back, though I'm not being successful on that count either as I'm still struggling with the sore butt (sorry!!) managed a short trip to the supermarket with the hubby. He'd already done most of the shopping and this was really just to satisfy my need to do something normal but I managed to get some alcohol free fizz so I'll pretend it's a Saturday night out while I'm sat in my granny chair watching rubbish tonight! Have a wonderful day ladies, even if the sun isn't shining today, which it isn't in Yorkshire at the moment and it felt quite chilly out.

Happy Saturday to you too @ChrissyW and @Mayhip8 ! Though its dinnertime for you both its 12n for me
This weekend here is Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start to summer and typically everyone puts their flowers in their garden, the chance of frost being less---so actually putting some flowers in pots to brighten up my outside but can't get on my knees yet so going to enlist Hub to help with that part.
My operated hip is sore today for some reason so going to do my gentler Physical therapy exercises and hope for the best.
I dared to sleep on my unoperated side propped with pillows last night! Helps so to be off the butt! Hope all have a restful rest of the day!

Hello Mayhip8 Sleep is such an elusive thing post op. Really surprised me. I’m 3 months post op and still can have discomfort wake me up. I slept for a short time on non operated side in hospital with pillows between knees and legs. It’s my preferred side and when I went home it was okay as long as I had pillows but I always log rolled over to that side and propped my front so the op leg wouldn’t roll/slide forward in compromising position. Op side-still not very comfortable for me even now. So we’re all different. The recliner was my best friend for the first 4 weeks and off and on since then. Hope it’s a restful weekend for you. :SUNsmile:

@ahipgma hope you are planting some pretty flowers to brighten your day. Are there any other celebrations that you have for Memorial Day? It has been really dull and cold here today, although the sun was beautiful first thing. My operated side us achy this afternoon, I think my little outing was harder than I thought and has tired me. I'm very pleased with myself though as I've cooked the evening meal all by myself for the first time. Isn't it exciting, lie being a child again where you get really excited achieving something that would ordinarily be nothing important. Enjoy Memorial Day,negate er you do.
@Hip4life im impressed you are side sleeping, have a good day

Happy Sunday - :dancy: - it's drab and rainy here but not too cold - hopefully it will brighten later and I'll go for a walk outside . I'm happy to try to use one stick - I did need to use two by the end of yesterday as my legs were painful and tired. I did a lot again yesterday up and down the stairs and walking about the house. However I had a quiet evening watching telly with my family and went to sleep fairly early and Joy of joys I had two really long sleeps! It felt so good to see the time pass quickly during the night and feel in less pain :).I didn't try side sleeping however but my body wants to turn towards the non- operated side.
My scar is healing really well though some numbness and a hard stitch at the end of my wound makes it feel weird and uncomfortable to lie on.
How do you link an @Hip4life @ahipgma @ChrissyW into the text?... Just tried it - did it work?
It's so good to hear of your trips out, plant planting on Memorial Day, and progress. Hope your Sunday is good and lovely things happen :loveshwr:

Hi! Yes, it worked! One of those nights that I couldn’t sleep: aches and pains. Should’ve gotten on the forum when you posted as I was awake. LOL. IDK if anyone else explained this but Memorial Day (aka Decoration Day) is for honoring our service people who have given the ultimate sacrifice. It is a sight to behold to see veterans’ graves and cemeteries all festooned with American flags. For most of us it’s also a time to decorate our loved ones’ graves as well with flowers and wreaths which adds to the somber beauty. I like the idea of planting flowers, too. Many of us have that special place we have dedicated to a loved one who has passed. Have a blessed Sunday.

Hi @Mayhip8 great to hear you had a good sleep and how you popped our names in your text sent me an alert so It must be the right way, it's how I do it anyway.mI've just got back from a short trip to Costa. It was so good to do something normal (part of my normal Sunday is to pop out for a mid morning Costa). So @Mayhip8 , @Hip4life and @ahipgma what are you all up to this Sunday? Ladies, can I just say, like you also said @Mayhip8 , catching up with you is a highlight of my day and it just feels right to share stories with those who really understand what we are going through as they are too. I mean there are few people I would willingly share sore butt problems with other than you lot! :heehee:
So I'd hoped to get some sunshine today but it's grey and damp in Yorkshire so it's another day in front of the tv unless I decide to read (although the book I've just started is a bit slow going and the one I want to start is so big it is hard to hold comfortably when I'm wiggling around trying to get my body in to a comfy position). Enough moaning from me for now as I'm going to have a bit of lunch and possibly a nap In my granny chair!
Have a great day:friends:

Hi @ChrissyW. It is fun to link up with people to share the victories as well as the facts of life, as humorous as they can sometimes be. It’s big college baseball and women’s softball season here. I’m here in the middle of US (Nebraska) and our team has made it into one of the tournaments. So I’ll be watching that today on TV. The Men’s College World Series takes place here in my hometown in June and I will now be able to walk to and around the stadium and actually enjoy going to the games. Yay. It the small victories that we are so grateful for. :yes!:

@Hip4life I'd never heard of ' memorial/decoration ' day- I can only imagine how splendid the graves and memorials of service people look after being adorned. The war graves commission look after graves of service people in our local cemeteries ( in addition to the larger cemeteries and memorials) Of course families of those left behind also tend the graves . We have services on Rememberance Sunday and armistice day to honour those who gave the ultimate sacrifice over the many years of all conflicts and we place wreaths of poppies on community memorial cenotaphs.
It interests me to hear of how we have different customs and cultures so thanks for sharing this .
Your'e right -it's the small victories which keep us motivated and I have a little ritual before I go to sleep to thank the universe and feel grateful for so many small yet significant things which might have been positive about my day.

Enjoy your baseball/softball matches from a comfy chair and have a cheery Sunday :tennis:

@ChrissyW I look forward to hearing from you and others too! It feels like a special club of people who formed a bond so quickly! If you want to discuss your sore butt carry on! However I do hope you feel more comfy soon- have you tried a sheepskin to lie/sleep on ? ( Take it off the sheep first) or a soft fleece?
I love your description of having a granny chair- I made cushions for my chairs which are the right height for me and were usually ok for short periods but to be honest I'm struggling to sit in them for very long. I'm thinking of investing in a recliner as I'll need it for up to 24weeks ( and beyond!) I've just noticed how many exclamation marks I use !!!
It's good to hear you managed a trip to Costa and it must feel good to regain a sense of normality.
I didn't manage a walk today as it's windy and rainy here in Cheshire so I sat with hubby and watched West side story and a documentary about it afterwards. I fell in love with the story and film version as a young girl and it was so nice to re-visit it today. I kept looking at the dancing and thinking"I can do that soon":loll:
I love a good book but just can't concentrate at the moment so am reading some magazines brought by my sister and mother in law ( a range of reading material I must say!!)
I've come back to my nest for an hour or so to play scrabble online and catch up with general perusing of errant stuff.
I'm glad the link thing works - I do like picking up new skills!
Have a comfy evening:) :-) (:

Hi @Mayhip8
Most of the Memorial Day adornment amounts to small American flags and possibly a bouquet of flowers, or single red rose at gravesites. Definitely a day to reflect on those who gave their lives for our freedom.

Regarding side sleeping, here is an article you may have missed - hope it helps!
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/
A great week to you!
Thank you Layla for this information - much appreciated Have a good week too

Can’t imagine having to have 2 hips done at the same time or close together. I’m sure my recovery has been greatly influenced by the fact that my left hip is just fine and no more knee pain after surgery. Utmost respect for all you folks that have to deal with recovery of one hip while other one is in bad shape. You sound like you are doing great though....keep up the positive thoughts!

Hello all!
A beautiful day here in Pennsylvania, low humidity and sunny. My dad was a WwII vet but spent his service on a ship in the South Pacific
He's no longer with us but in my mind I'm still thankful for his service.
Our hippy friends from the UK I remember that war was fought in part on your soil! Dont you wonder when our world will learn it's lesson and there will be no more wars...
@ChrissyW are you still fighting "the battle of the butt" dont forget about good old lotion massage to bring circulation to that area.
I put a pillow between my legs and one. Behind. My back and slept part of the night on my unoperated side. BLISS.
@Mayhip8 my undone hip is behaving itself today a little, probably because of the dry weather. But the postop one still better, though still postop aches.
What I want to do this week is get it together and go for a PEDICURE-- sure can't do it myself.

And hello @CPH --not looking forward to my second hip surgery but definitely looking forward to having two non arthritic hips!:loveshwr:

:yawn:@ahipgma It would be wonderful if we could all learn more tolerance understanding and communication to be able to live without fighting. There is a lot of good in the world that we can focus on and support. I pay my respects to every person who ever served for peace and unity of our world.
@CPH thanks for your positive response- you are very early on in your recovery I hope you feel ok?
Well last night I kind of thought I'd get some sleep - having had a good night the night before- T'was not to be! When I did finally doze off I found myself awake and shouting in pain as my right hip went back in spasm- I think I'll call my GP tomorrow to see if there's anything to help- I used to have occasional diazepam for spasm in my left leg but I don't want that to interfere with muscle repair and muscle tone in my left hip/leg.
I've been walking with one crutch more today around the house - can't go outside as its raining and I don't want to slip- I'm a bit stir crazy truth be told! I had some surprise visitors this morning which was lovely and my children have gone back to stay with them til later tonight- hubby has gone to pick up the online shopping I ordered ( how many times did the website crash?!!!) and I am All alone and can't stop crying!! I'm so tired! I'm so fed up of having to ask for things I can't do myself! I'm so frustrated at having to shop online! I am feeling sorry for myself and I just want to feel better - I want a good film, a huge box of chocolates, more patience and a bath ... My skin is so dry and itchy - I usually use a very beautiful bath oil and salts to relax but can't do that- my family take turns to have to help me dry my feet and toes, - I feel 100 years old.. I've started to use my crutch as an arm extension and poke things to move them- like my telly in the bedroom to get it in the right position- I'm using a grabber to get apples from my fruit bowl instead of siting up and using my hand.OMG! I'm becoming equally lazy and over exerting myself!... Ok I could go on but I won't ... I think I'm perhaps allowed a little wobble and am able to because I've got some emotional space perhaps.. And so I shall remove myself from this nest and go put the kettle on for a calming cup of tea. Sorry for the out burst and thanks in advance for dropping by!
I hope your Monday is a good one so far and you feel calm and comfortable :yawn::):groan:

@ahipgma a pedicure sounds lovely, in fact any form of pampering treatment would go down a storm, might look at anything available in the area or leith a mobile technician. I am still fighting the battle of the butt and have now started using a tea tree and witch hazel ointment on a really dry patch that is sore to rest on.
Sounds like that bit of side sleeping brought you comfort, I'm pleased for you. Weather wise the sun is now shining although if rained very heavily until around 1pm and it Niticeable colder than the last couple of days. I'm finding I feel a bit stiff today and my operated leg is quite achy but think I'm just feeling quite bored today. It's a bank holiday here today and I wouldn't normally be in the house so for some reason today just feels a bit yucky.
Is anyone doing anything interesting today (though I'm not sure what we can actually get up to in our post op recovery state)
And @ahipgma a world of peace where everyone just accepted everyone else would be a blessing. :angel:
Positive thoughts and energy to you all :flwrysmile:

@Mayhip8 you were just writing at th same time as me and I hadn't seen you message. I was really tears yesterday and felt both a burden and just downright fed up do I get where you are coming from completely. Sending you a massive hug and we can get through this remembering how good things will be. No one told me before surgery about the post op blues but when they hit you...well.
Xxx:console2:

Oh, gosh hugs to everyone in our struggles.
Just taking a break from potting my flowers, with a nice cool drink.
The isolation is hard, and I think from looking at all our ages we probably know people in their 70s that are popping around doing whatever they want and here we are, in our 50s and 60s, stuck and its tempting to say "unfair"!
But as you and I both know, @Mayhip8 people endure a lot and none of it is fair. I miss nursing and my colleagues
I miss being the well one taking care of the sick ones. This was my very first surgery and its physically and emotionally stressful
And facing no.2!!! But I say to myself do I regret the surgery and I have to say no. Am I firm about the second one and I have to say yes.
We'll get thru that second one, @Mayhip8! Soon as I get my date I'll let you know and we can count down!
Two things are helping me. Just doing little things as I am able for myself and my home and the other thing quite frankly is my faith life.
I think what we are experiencing the ups and downs are absolutely normal and Ok. I read it takes 6-12 MONTHS for many to start feeling all the way back to normal. Let's keep in touch as we ride our Roller coaster to recovery. Healing hugs to all!:friends:

:friends:@ahipgma @ChrissyW thankyou for the hugs - we will get through and I know it's a blip- I'm mainly positive in outlook and I suppose I feel that I haven't any right to feel down, but I also believe tears are healing and a good weep helps to clear out negative energy-I do feel priveledged to be able to share my thoughts with you as in reality I'm always there for others - which I value -and don't always open up because they rely on me I suppose . I too love nursing and feel it's what I'm meant to do and can picture me saying all of the placating words to my patients in the past .( and have new knowledge for the future)
I guess no- one can predict how we might react - I wonder if it's just pure relief that we know the future will have less pain and more opportunities? I'm all for keeping in touch and seeing where this amazing situation leads us to!
My day has become brighter for having read your supportive responses Thank-you:flwrysmile:
I love the idea of a pedicure/ pamper -I think I'll see if there's anyone who can do a home visit - great idea Chrissy

@Mayhip8 and @ahipgma lets get glam! I'm going to get some research in and see what can be offered at home, toes, nails no idea as it's something I've not done before, always been a DIY person but when needs must! I'd love to keep in touch not only during these recovery weeks but once we are back to normal life. So I see you 2 are both nurses, I'm the odd one out, I'm a teacher but I too love my job as I work with 16-18 year olds, who have a tendency to keep your brain young!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom