THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

I'm a massive real housewives fan @Mayhip8 . Yesterday I found a similar series I'd never heard of so downloaded and watched the whole thing. It was called second wives club, based in LA so similar to real housewives of Beverley hills. Just ready to get picked up and set off to physio so have a good day.

I'm 6 days ahead of you and you'll be so surprised even daily the improvement.
I am also 63 so retirement for me is more of a possibility-- though I love my job too and if a lighter duty job presented itself I might go for it! Slept poorly last night --why? My unoperated leg was giving me grief, my shiny new hip is ok-- not pain free but definitely better!
Have a restful day!

Reading your posts, it is clear you are a flexible person, and able/willing to "go with the flow". I think that outlook will serve you well as you recover from your hip replacement:) The road to recovery is pretty uneven, and it seems those who can accept that, and adjust accordingly are far less stressed. Good for you! You are doing so well at this early stage, and I think your positive attitude and sense of humor are definite assets!:flwrysmile:

I'm 6 days ahead of you and you'll be so surprised even daily the improvement.
I am also 63 so retirement for me is more of a possibility-- though I love my job too and if a lighter duty job presented itself I might go for it! Slept poorly last night --why? My unoperated leg was giving me grief, my shiny new hip is ok-- not pain free but definitely better!
Have a restful day!
Oh I feel for you! I managed to finally doze off around 3.30 Am only to be suddenly woken at 5.20 by horrendous pain and spasm in my Unoperated leg . My poor husband must be so fed up of me shouting out in pain.I got up in the end and made a cup of tea and checked out some car insurance renewal quotes ( only marginally less painful than hip pain) However I've come back to bed for a snooze whilst the children run around like headless chickens to get ready for school!. Are you still using walking aids? I tried mostly to use one crutch yesterday and early this morning but haven't been outside on one crutch yet. My operated hip is still a little tight around the wound area and I can't sit in the chair for more than 30 mins despite my new home made seat cushions ( so pleased with them! ) My mood is good as I have had visitors most days - my oldest freind is coming today with MAccy D's for breakfast- a special treat indeed! Later I think I'll go,out for a walk around as its a lovely sunny day today. Who knows what else the day will bring?! I hope you have a safe and comfortable one ☀️

Reading your posts, it is clear you are a flexible person, and able/willing to "go with the flow". I think that outlook will serve you well as you recover from your hip replacement:) The road to recovery is pretty uneven, and it seems those who can accept that, and adjust accordingly are far less stressed. Good for you! You are doing so well at this early stage, and I think your positive attitude and sense of humor are definite assets!:flwrysmile:
Thankyou for your kind words and advice . This is all new to me to be on "the other side " so to speak. It seems so valuable to have advice and chats with people who share the same situation even if their experiences are different and I'm aware that this is a long haul situation as I'm having my other hip done in August so I'm approaching it more like a marathon rather than a sprint. I'm getting strength and support from people around me and this site too and am grateful for the chance to have my hips replaced on the NHS in the UK . It could be so different if I lived elsewhere in the world . Hope you have a good Thursday ☀️

I'm a massive real housewives fan @Mayhip8 . Yesterday I found a similar series I'd never heard of so downloaded and watched the whole thing. It was called second wives club, based in LA so similar to real housewives of Beverley hills. Just ready to get picked up and set off to physio so have a good day.
Hi Chrissy - how did your physio go? Did you manage any better sleep? :flwrysmile: Just found the emojis!! I do like a good emoji!! :loll:

Good morning @Mayhip8 . Physio went really well and I'm now on one walking stick only. He was really positive and happy with my progress and, just like we are reminded here at bone smart , kept saying do what your body tells you and don't compare yourself to others. The car journey was good, I'd been apprehensive as it was so difficult getting in when I came home after surgery but it was fine this time. I used the plastic bag method and slid in comfortably. Following the physics advice I'm going to try get out for short trips and Costa is a favourite so I'm going to be a pest and bug my hubby constantly now with ' can we go out now!'. On the sleep front I took advice that @Layla had shared and put an ice pack on my leg and fell asleep lying virtually flat with my legs on a soft pillow so I did manage 2 bursts of sleep of a good 2 hours each so feel more refreshed this morning. How are you today?

Good morning
At PT yesterday I was told to still use my cane to aid walking to a void a habitual limp. What they dont get is it's my bad hip as much as my new one that's causing the limp! I was happy to go short distances without it but I'll comply.
Sleeping is still trial and error.
If I went back to my little bit of narcotic at night it would probably help but I was so glad to be past that.
Definitely a marathon and not a sprint.
And i had to laugh because in the midst of my mad twirling in bed my husband leans over and said something about "honey just think, at the six we mark we can....." referring to, well you know
I felt like taking my cane and speeding away. :heehee: yes, a marathon and not a sprint!

@ahipgma your post really made me giggle. We're pretty much at a similar point in recovery days as I had mine on the 4th. I'm still taking pain meds, far less through the day but definetly still needed at night with a dose at about 2.30am. Just had a pleasant stroll in the sunshine and I'm in no rush to lose my cane as my gait was so bad pre surgery I want to make sure I do whatever to walk tall and straight. Hope your day goes well and think of the positives, that stick may come in handing for reminding your hubby you have just had major surgery (I could say something cheeky but as we are ladies I won't):heehee:

Good morning
At PT yesterday I was told to still use my cane to aid walking to a void a habitual limp. What they dont get is it's my bad hip as much as my new one that's causing the limp! I was happy to go short distances without it but I'll comply.
Sleeping is still trial and error.
If I went back to my little bit of narcotic at night it would probably help but I was so glad to be past that.
Definitely a marathon and not a sprint.
And i had to laugh because in the midst of my mad twirling in bed my husband leans over and said something about "honey just think, at the six we mark we can....." referring to, well you know
I felt like taking my cane and speeding away. :heehee: yes, a marathon and not a sprint!
Haha this made me smile I went for a walk with one crutch this afternoon- apparently I am obviously leaning to my right side- I feel my left leg is longer? Hopefully will balance out when right hip op is done.Ive just woken from a post visitor snooze having been up and chatting for most of the day- feel like it was good quality sleep so that's positive - I'm overseeing the children cook chow mein for tea in a minute - I'm craving healthy tasty food ! Keep smiling ☀️

Oh, say it! It is comforting to know that some things are universal and never change! Ya gotta laugh.....
Went to see my medical doc today and she was pleased and is cheering me on for hip #2,
We talked about small doses of tramadol (I break a 50 mg in half) for comfort at night
Sleep is important-- we talked about the US opioid crisis and remarked how many people are driving around on them every day if I take it at 9pm it should be worn off for me to drive late morning next day ---so glad to be driving again tho it's very short trips and rest after.
So i may take a little night time dose---- i get so stiff from lying in one position.
Also i run a small fan at night--- its summer here--- the breeze and the white noise help distract me.
Heres to better sleep for us all !

Good morning @Mayhip8 . Physio went really well and I'm now on one walking stick only. He was really positive and happy with my progress and, just like we are reminded here at bone smart , kept saying do what your body tells you and don't compare yourself to others. The car journey was good, I'd been apprehensive as it was so difficult getting in when I came home after surgery but it was fine this time. I used the plastic bag method and slid in comfortably. Following the physics advice I'm going to try get out for short trips and Costa is a favourite so I'm going to be a pest and bug my hubby constantly now with ' can we go out now!'. On the sleep front I took advice that @Layla had shared and put an ice pack on my leg and fell asleep lying virtually flat with my legs on a soft pillow so I did manage 2 bursts of sleep of a good 2 hours each so feel more refreshed this morning. How are you today?
Well done with your progress , I can't even consider getting in a car yet as mine is too low and hubby drives a Landrover so his is too high - I'm sure I'll have a re think as time passes and I get stir crazy! I too went for a walk in the sunshine today - it was lovely ☀️ My body told me to have a nap a while ago as I had a busy few hours catching up with my bestie and her daughters . It's so good to have visitors and laughs too - I'm looking forward to Cooking with my children this evening and sharing some time with them .Im glad you managed some better sleep and hope it's a move in the forward direction

I bought some cushions for my car to hike up a little on.
Sounds like you had a wonderful day---- those days are precious, makes you feel normal and hopeful!
We have sun here in the US in my town on the east Coast today too ,so uplifting.
I think healing is about that too.

I totally agree @ahipgma and even just standing in the sunshine, going nowhere feels nice. I'm a firm believer in the power of positivity. Have a wonderful day

Oh my word! I feel like I've overdone the staying up/sitting in a chair/and moving around on one crutch thing! Last night I was in such pain - mainly my Unoperated hip was " sticking "in the joint causing painful spasm in my muscle and I had to physically move the leg by hand ( I had it straight up in the air at one point - wierd!)
My operated hip was sort of throbbing and the thigh was tight so I got myself a bit worried that I'd caused a problem. I ended up taking 1gm paracetamol and 60 mg codiene at 23.00 and a further 500mg/30mg at 04.30 .Im waiting for 08.30 until I can take more paracetamol to keep up the effect .
Consequently I feel groggy this morning. I'm staying in bed for a while longer I think.
It's such a sunny day out there but luckily I can see the clear skies from my window, we also,have some blue tits hatched in a bird box near my window so it's lovely to see the comings and goings of them being fed- I wonder when they will fledge?
Hubby Is at work today but I think I'll get him to bring me brekky before he leaves and I'll get up later.
Think I learnt a big lesson there!
Hope your day is a good one ☀️
:sleep::egypdance:

Met with a friend last night who is 11 years out from a hip replacement.
She was very encouraging but remembered her recovery being more like a roller coaster than a train ride-- some peaks and valleys.
I asked my OS if I did something truly awful to my hip would I know it and he said yes-- unrelenting pain.
What I personally do get is having one hip done and one not--the two pains are so different-- the postop one is more muscle crampy-tight for me and the unoperated one is like a toothache with occasional shooting pains--what drove me to surgery in the first place. Also my knee feels tight on the operative side PT says it's because the new hip reset the line of my leg.
So much easier to be a nurse than a patient isnt it ? Enjoy a restorative rest I hope!

Met with a friend last night who is 11 years out from a hip replacement.
She was very encouraging but remembered her recovery being more like a roller coaster than a train ride-- some peaks and valleys.
I asked my OS if I did something truly awful to my hip would I know it and he said yes-- unrelenting pain.
What I personally do get is having one hip done and one not--the two pains are so different-- the postop one is more muscle crampy-tight for me and the unoperated one is like a toothache with occasional shooting pains--what drove me to surgery in the first place. Also my knee feels tight on the operative side PT says it's because the new hip reset the line of my leg.
So much easier to be a nurse than a patient isnt it ? Enjoy a restorative rest I hope!
Thanks for that information - a good description I feel.
I agree my two pains are so different - it's as if my brain accepts post op pain as being normal but has forgotten that I have problems existing in my other hip which were there before so I feel frustrated that it's the non operated side hindering me!
I've had a nice moochy non effort type of day and mostly rested .I feel less groggy and have napped - must have needed it! I'm going to get up again now and finally get a shower and have a cup of tea in celebration of Friday's!!
Yes, I'm a kind patient but inside I'm like "ohhhhhhh I hate asking for help!!!!" Luckily I have a fab family who keep me smiling and make me feel cared for
Enjoy

@Mayhip8 sorry to hear you had a bad night, I'm still having to take a dose of meds during the night and have forgotten what comfy feels like! Hubby came home from work and we had a short trip to a local beer garden so I could enjoy a lime and soda (I'd have preferred a prosecco but that will gave toward!) in the sunshine. Managed to stay out just under an hour and did manage to sit down though needed help getting back up as the seat was a little low and I was perched like the PT had shown me! Anyway @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma let's enjoy the rest of the day in the knowledge each day brings progress and challenge but all for a better future. Happy Friday :cheers:

Hello! Hope all is well . Does any one have any hints about side sleeping? How long was it before you tried it? I've been told to lie on the operated side only . I'm tempted to try it but worried I might squish my wound open ( and yet knowledge and experience tell me this will be highly unlikely!!! ) years ago I used to nurse patients with hip replacements and they were on bed rest for 5-7 days, we used to ' log roll' patients to carry out pressure area care and hygiene- I can only rejoice that research and evidence for early mobility happened since then- I can't imagine having to lie in bed all that time !
I'm having an ok day today- catching up with 'admin ' and tearing up old paperwork to clear the decks . I set myself a challenge to learn Beethovens ' Moonlight sonata ' on the keyboard so am having fun practising that too ( I'm not a keyboard player :heehee:) and my mum is popping in to see me later so hopefully we shall have a brew and catch up with her comings and goings ( she's a sprightly 87 year old- more mobile than me at the mo!)
Happy Saturday and enjoy the bank holiday weekend :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom