BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

May for Me

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Liebchen, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Liebchen

Liebchen new member

United States United States
    I’m scheduled for bilateral total knee replacement on 5/22. It’s been more than 5 years of every other option—cortisone shots, Synvisc, PRP, acupuncture, etc. but it’s time. I can’t imagine going through just one replacement and still having 50% of the pain and instability I have now, which is why I am doing both. Kind of scared of being that helpless, though.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Liebchen - and :welome:

You won't be totally helpless after your TKR, although you may need a littel more help than people who have just one nee replaced.
    I'm going to ask @Roy Gardiner and @SusieShoes to talk to you, as they both had successful bilateral knee replacements.

Meanwhile, here is some pre-op reading, to help you prepare:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

3. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    Celle,

Thanks for taking the time to provide info all the time. :) :-) (:

Liebchen, I am the same as you, but 30th for me. However it's been over 10 years for me and it's time ! The thought of 2 x downtime and recovery is not something I wanted and luckily my surgeon suggested the to have both done at same time.

Time will tell if that was a wise decision on my part ! Good luck and I look forward to hearing of your progress

4. Liebchen

Liebchen new member

Thank you, Celle and Atlas, for the warm welcome! I immediately read everything Celle sent and it was informative and a comfort to not feel so alone. It is easy to second-guess yourself when people respond with “WHAT???” at the news of doing both knees although obviously our surgeons feel it’s reasonable.

I’m curious, Atlas, if you are planning on any inpatient rehabilitation after your surgery? My surgeon is a little equivocal on that and it almost seems likes it’s up to me

5. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    Ummm.... I really don't know the whole process yet... I have an appt with the surgeon a week before op so I guess I will find out.

From the overwhelming posts on here about post op and rehab I will let my knees tell me when it is time.... I am in a fortunate position that I do not have to be in a rush to get back to work. I have waited 10 yrs for this, I am in no rush to over do it :D

6. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You won't be completely helpless. But for the first while you'll be very restricted. You'll be able to make it to the bathroom, chair, bed, and that's about it. But remember, it's worth it.

7. Liebchen

Liebchen new member

Thank you. It helps to think about it more as “restricted “ than helpless. Another bilateral patient told me she was able to get around the house ( with a walker) on her own after 3 weeks, so I’m aiming for that.

I wondered if anyone had found a transfer bench type of shower seat useful for getting in and out of a bathtub shower?

8. Liebchen

Liebchen new member

That sounds like a good perspective. I want to “do it right” as well. My surgeon did say that patients cleared for bilateral replacement are typically in better shape to begin with, and for that reason tend to go straight home rather than requiring inpatient rehab.

9. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    I like to think I am in 'ok' shape. I will have my wonderful Wife with me 24/7 so I know I am in good hands and having been in retirement mode on and off for the last 5 yrs I am very proficient in "taking it easy" :rotfl: