TKR May 28, 2014. Springsmom83

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be going into a pool with an incompletely healed incision line. If you do, you might consider an occlusive dressing to cover it all. That's a dressing that does not allow any seepage under the edges. I'm pretty sure they sell something in the major drugstores.

This week would only be in a therapy pool, water park is about 10 days away.

Well if your doc said it was ok....still I'd be very nervous submerging it at all until it heals over. Josephine will be on at some point or @Jamie and they may have some thoughts.

I'd be leery of going into a pool with new staples. I remember when my son was about 8 and received a few stitches in his hand. He was taking swim lessons at the time and he ended up with a terribly infected hand and had his entire hand wrapped up and was on antibiotics. The doctor had told me the chlorine in the pool would probably be good for it.....hardly!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

There are protective coverings available, a full service pharmacy will carry something to protect from the water.
Look for a pharmacy that sells wound care supplies.

I merged three of your threads---the forum rules indicate that you should only have one thread in the TKR Recovery section---that way, we can quickly and easily follow your progress and help you deal with your concerns or issues---instead of bouncing from thread to thread.

I have to say I don't think much of your doctor's suggestion that you go in water with an open wound. Most pools have rules from THEIR side that say you should not do this. That aside, you have absolutely no way of knowing the condition of the water. While you might be just fine, why in the world would you risk it? Can you just go along to the water park and not actually submerge in water?

If you absolutely decide to go ahead, do purchase the waterproof bandages that are available. At least that would provide some protection for that fresh wound.

As I "go about living" increased flexion will come.
That is true---your "PT" is living your life.

he doctor said "let's put a couple of staples in for 2 weeks. You can swim in pools, just clean it with an alcohol swab every hour or two and give it a chance to dry periodically".
I know that you would like to rush a few things up and get into the pool for therapy, but I am not so sure that I would hop into the pool just yet. I think that it is better to error on the side of safety.

That aside, you have absolutely no way of knowing the condition of the water.
I fully agree with Jamie. Plus this: You know that very pungent smell that goes along with swimming pools? Everyone has a tendency to say "oh it's the chlorine" but get this - chlorine is odourless! It only becomes pungent when mixed with uric acid which is a constituent of urine! I'm sure you can work it work it out. More smell = more uric acid! :eeeuw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom