Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

My better half was very upset with me when he arrived a few minutes later...I was still shaking. He said, you almost fell onto the pavement over little end pieces of noodles.
I swear I saw one of them suckers on my arm move... Guess they were wet and slid... Yeah. Imagined myself in the ER dealing with... I have to have my hips fixed over those stupid noodles. @GrannyC
I'm kinda paranoid about falling too. Only thing I can see that could derail my recovery.
I mentioned in another post that I'm kind of klutzy and my Mom always said it's a good thing she didn't name me Grace!!!! LoL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a recheck with my OS this morning to get my report card.
Have a few things I want to ask... Curious if they will do another xray to see if all is holding well.
He is a really great guy... Kind of quiet, but I can tell he likes me.
I told him before surgery that it was such a strange relationship we would have. I said..
After meeting you twice, I'm gonna let you perform bilateral THR on me. I don't even know you.
Better than that, after meeting me twice, you're gonna do it. You don't know me. I'm the loudest mouth in town. So look at the trust here... I will literally be a walking TALKING billboard for either your success or failure. So pick one Doc...hero or goat?
He cracked up...
Guessing he picked hero?

Plus, how bad would it look if he screwed up the food bank lady?
Seriously, he is employed through Optim Orthopedics... chain of orthopedic clinics with all self contained state of the art equipment. Thank goodness they accept all kinds of insurances. Feel like I got first rate care. Feeling blessed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to you today, MoJo! I'm sure you'll get a great report card. I'll bet your OS does love you just as you seem to be beloved by your fellow hippy's.

I felt similar about my surgeon because I only met him once prior to surgery day. I did my homework....not only did he come highly recommended but he replaced both of my dads hips, months apart, seven years ago. My dad's had no problems to date. In the two months leading up to my surgery I mentioned to my husband several times that while I didn't expect a dinner invitation from my OS before I let him cut into my leg and saw my bone I felt it odd I may never see him again until surgery day. And I didn't. I saw him the morning before surgery as he initialed my right leg and I wrote "yes" on it myself. Then not again until afterwards when I was in a drug induced haze and he told me he put my leg on backwards! Guy has a sense of humor. Told my husband he loves how after surgery when all are relieved he can kid and joke with the patient.

Please share your report with us today, it's always interesting to hear of others recovery journeys. I feel if my parents hadn't both been through this and I hadn't found Bonesmart I'd have a lot more questions, probably have been more fearful than I was leading up to surgery and also in experiencing recovery. There's something comforting about sharing with those who've been there and who are walking right along side you in recovery.

I think I can safely say ....we love you MoJo!
Good luck today......we'll wait to hear.....

Hi @Mojo333
Just catching up on your thread, oh my gosh the story of your near fall! Yikes! But with a touch of humor.
Nice to see you're doing PT to work on your gait, i'm not sure if I will need it but I think it's a good idea for range of motion and I think I am going to ask for a prescription for it just for optimum healing. After all we have been through we distinctly want optimum healing!Laughing at your comments about a relationship with the surgeon, I always tell mine he knows me inside and out, he fixed my broken ankle last November which was the start of all this hip ****. then I had a pin removal from the ankle. Then I had bilateral hip replacement. He actually surprised me, last week I called his office because I was running a low-grade fever, I missed his call but he actually called me back personally left me a nice voice message with what to be concerned about and what not to. I thought that was nice, I believe he truly does care about how his patients turn out. Some doctors treat you just like a number on an assembly line, he is still young enough to care. Wishing you continued good progress, I feel like we are traveling on the same plane. I do like your humor this is a great place to hang around with people who've been through this together.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

So glad to hear from you... Thought I hurt your feelings because I called you a worry wart. You haven't answered me since girl. I am just ever so proud that you have done so well and it can be hard sometimes but not near so hard as dealing with the pain pre op.
You are... And will be ... Such an inspiration to those who come after us. Wished I would have called myself ATST?333
When I've told associates and others I had both hips replaced it's always their first comment
AT THE SAME TIME????
Makes you feel powerful, or just plain crazy...lol
Continued support for your recovery

Great report at OS today.
Hugged him as soon as he came in and said thanks for giving me my life back! He said he loves to do THRs as it provides most instant relief from pain and he has had great success with anterior approach. He gives lectures on it apparently.
The few concerns I had... Pretty much knew most from great info on this site... Numbness and zingy feeling from thighs to knees... Nerves that were disturbed. It has been like that from day one. He said he has had a few patients that still exhibit after a year and may not subside but since mine is lessening he feels like should go away completely. If it doesn't... Rather have numbness and hypersensitivity than hip pain, so whatever!!!
Also some mild ilpsoas Syndrome symptoms and IT band tightness but mild stretching from my PT are addressing these. I just don't let my PT dictate how much it how long to do anything. If she thinks it's because I'm lazy so be it. Things have gone too well to push it now.
I will be working in toning up and improving my physical condition once I am comfortable with my hips getting well. Alot if my tightness soreness pain now comes from all the bad positions my muscles tendons ligaments had gone into for five years prior. Gonna take time to stretch out and tone up. All in all everyone was amazed. I wore a tie-dye dress that doesn't rub on my zingy legs... Did a runway walk standing straighter than I have in years, twirled.. And curtsied.
Will see him in November... Where they will do follow up x-rays.
I'm ecstatic.

Forgot to hit post on this Thursday...

You were probably too busy dancing, @Mojo333! That is a top report - well done. You must be delighted

I'm off to do a gig this afternoon, without chair, cushion or stick - something I would never have considered a few weeks ago ....

Congratulations and keep it up!

Peter

@Mojo333
No you certainly have not hurt my feelings, the site is tricky to say the least to navigate with just a phone and I don't feel like going and sitting at my computer. It is so funny when you tell somebody you had hip replacement and They ask you which one, and you say both… Where they look at you and they say something like "at the same time????why on earth would you do that?" Makes me feel kind of special. When I was making my two week appointment the girl at the surgeons office asked which hip I had done and I said both, the man is a miracle worker, and she said oh, he doesn't do that for just anyone, you have to be a candidate for it or you cannot get it done that way. That made me feel kind of special too LOL... anyway I'm having zingy legs too, sometimes just the slightest brush up against it sends me through the ceiling, the boyfriend doesn't get it when he touches me and I jumped through the roof he thinks I'm being a drama queen, and I can't explain it LOL he will have to get over it. And I have quite a bit of tightness in the hip area, but I am only a little over a week out, especially if I do too much one day I'm extra tight the next. That's where the pain meds would come in handy, and it ticks me off I did not get any before this weekend because now I will have to wait until Monday UGG . I can't wait to see a good picture of my x-rays from my visit. I got one at the hospital but it's odd looking.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I still have some groin pain when I've done too much walking. But everything is getting straighter and looser all the time. Hard to discipline yourself not to overdo with the excitement of all that pain being gone.
People who haven't seen me since I had my surgery are incredulous.
You had double hip replacement at the same time. They say I look ten years younger. I say yeah, well I'm not all bent over and limping.
One friend replied, no your face... Guess without all the pain. I thought I was hiding it better than that

I find you both @Mojo333 and @gaulsuerou amazing women. You both had bilateral and look at you now standing so straight and tall and a wonderful example for those anticipating the same surgery or even for those just having one hip done! You both went through some rough spots but hung in there through it all. And now there you are pain free and looking forward to getting on with your lives. Way to go!!

Thanks GrannyC. Only credit I can take for any of it is maybe finding the courage to go through with it and listening to all of the smart people on this site who supported me.
Do think rate of recovery can be closely tied to mental state, in which case you make take your own bows for your part.
You encouraged me and cheered me on early in my recovery along with others...I am forevermore grateful for that.
Hope you are doing well?

Just decided my pink scars down the front of my legs look like those straight zippered pocket on those cute riding pants.
Should've ask them if they could put zippered pockets in there, cell phone size. How convenient would that be?

Bahahaha!.......Love it!

@Mojo333 I actually caught myself with my cellphone in my right shorts pocket on Sunday.
It was OK. Can't do car keys on that side yet.
I'm glad you got a good report from ur OS.

It is fun reading post from you 'Bilaterals.' You guys amaze me, I could not imagine doing that.

Have a great week.

Ha Ha.
Imagine peoples faces if you pulled your phone out of your leg.
Joe....

Actually, I dont love my cell phone that much. I leave it at home on purpose sometimes.
Thinking of whether they could tattoo zippers over the scars. Probably been done.

So... Did you know if you walk into the walk in cooler and it is moist and your soles get wet... And then you proceed into adjoining walk in freezer, your feet will immediately freeze to the floor!!!
Well, they will.
I almost pulled my legs off as I had forward momentum going and had to come out of my shoes and have volunteer at food bank pry them off floor!!! Another great story for the ER doc.?
My quad on left really sore, my butt hurts on the right side...
How dumb is that!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member