THR Mattress Topper

harleysmom79

Country
United States United States
I'm trying to find a great mattress topper. I'm having pain in my left hip and may have to have THR. I find myself getting up during the night and sleeping in my recliner because no matter what side I sleep on in my bed, my hip hurts. I do use a pillow between my knees. I want a topper that can help with the pain, but not be too hard or too soft. Any suggestions will be welcome.

hi @harleysmom79
I've moved you post, above, from the Social Room to the Hip Surgery Pre-Op Area. I think you'll get more relevant advice here.

Hi @harleysmom79
I sure hope someone has a suggestion that actually would help.
The recliner was my go to also before and for many many months in recovery ...as I see it was for your first one.

Good comfortable Sleep was one of the final pieces to my hip puzzle and I was truly miserable before I had my surgery.
I had mine both done together, so when I finally got it done, I got a new mattress...not too soft, not too hard.
Maybe someone here will have more encouraging advice on one.
Hang in there ..hope you get a surgery date soon.

To be honest I would not spend money on a topper right now. Unfortunately there is really nothing that will ease hip pain on a hip that needs THR.

Have you discussed a surgery date with your surgeon yet?

@harleysmom79 ahhhh mattresses! I had bursitis long before my hip went downhill, or so said my PCP "probably". If that was the case then, I have it in spades now, more so on the left.

Anyway, before it showed up, we'd bought a flotation system bed (fancy name for a water bed that doesn't slosh). I looooved it, and had it for decades. In 2014 we moved to a rental house which didn't allow them. I switched to a regular old Coleman or Aerobed 9"-12" air mattress, because I use one happily at the vacation house. I thought to put a 1-2" piece of memory foam on it in the winter, to stay warm, and that's where I've been for the past 6 years. There is not a mattress on this earth that I would find more comfortable. Granted, that is not to everyone's taste, and is a large accommodation, but when I'm awake at night I'm in less pain.

So you might try 1-2" of plain old memory foam, no gel. Gel gets hard right where you put your weight, and I don't understand its appeal. I get mine at Amazon. There are many choices, none terribly expensive in twin size. I put mine right on top of the mattress, and make the bed up as usual after that.

Good luck, and hang in there until you go for the THR!

I tried toppers,mattresses,and boards under the mattress. With my right it got to the point of an assortment of pillows placed to hold my leg from moving and putting pressure on my hip. I have and still use a contoured pillow that fits between my legs which helps my back.

I have a very reasonably priced 3" deep memory foam topper. It's on top of a very firm sprung mattress. The bed still feels firm, but far more comfy. I bought a new protector and fitted sheets to accommodate the extra depth. I don't know whether it would have helped before my first THRs, but it makes lying on both sides (very long scars!) far more comfortable. Wouldn't be without it :sleep:.

Hope you get that hip sorted soon. Best wishes.

My husband got one of those foam toppers a year or so ago as he had issues with his back. I think it came from Target. There were at least 2 thicknesses available and he got the thicker one. He liked it but everyone is different so who knows if it would help you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back