Massage

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRGal, I do suggest you get yourself massaging your wound area. The tenderness, pins and needles and sensitivity you mention will lessen if you do. Start with just a gentle touch in a small area at one end of the wound for a few seconds and gradually work it up. A lot of those sort of sensations develop because the area is not being touched or massaged. Even a little bit of gentle massage will make tissues relax and ease pain. Go on - grit your teeth and try it, just a small corner - and see how much it helps.

Have you ever had cramp in your calf muscle? What is the natural reaction - to almost immediately reach down and massage it! Yet another line in the theme "listen to your body"!

Jo
That is just what my physical therapist told me about my back . He said for me to find someone I trust at home to just lightly massage my back. For all the reasons you said.
Now to find the trusting soul!!

PRGal you have got to do it. My ITB band seems to be angry again so I have been massaging it as well, too bad I can't contorte myself enough to do the back!!!

Judy

Massaging my scar has made all the difference, compared to previous, "non massaged" scars. It's great and very soft and I'm sure it helps with flex when that strip of scar tissue is flexible.

Give it a go PRGal. Good luck with it.

Chris :)

Gritting my teeth was good advice! Remember UTDave's sadistic nurse's description of the sensation of catheter removal? :) Well, massaging felt like "broken glass" for the first minute or so! Kept at it, though, & it felt a bit less painful as I kept on. The most tender area, though, is along 3-4 inches just below the end of the incision, with the most sensitive spot being right where the drain came out--got a small scar there too. This is one of those times when being "the sensitive type" just is NOT a good thing!

PRGal
Glad you did the massage. I might have mentioned that my ITB band is irritated again right now. Possibly from the knee scope/just started weight bearing after 2 months.
Anyway I found that all the way up towards my poserior incision that I have the same thing , much tenderness for the 2-3 inches below the end of the incision .
I remember my doc telling me that the incision is longer than the scar as he did a few inches under without cutting the skin. That is probably why mine is only 5 inches for a posterior.
Keep massaging (we really need a new term when it refers to scar tissue and incisions)
Judy

Well done, PRGal! I'm seriously proud of you. Now keep it up, maybe with a little mild handcream or even some oil to lubricate and you'll soon be rid of those annoying tensions!

Until it(the scar) gets itchy! Ugh! Feel better PR!!!!

Until it(the scar) gets itchy! Ugh! Feel better PR!!!!

Yea, I hate that "itchy" feeling and have resisted scratching it intenselty although there have been times I'd like to have.

I hear Vitamin E oil is good for scars, anyone have some insight on this?

Oh rats--forgot all about itchy! Today at work I caught myself absent-mindedly raking my upper thigh with my fingernails while talking with a colleague. Luckily, she paid no attention!

Are you sure,PR????? (That your co worker didn't see you scratcing?????lol. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88