Massage - good or bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsgibbo

i am 8 weeks post op and doing well other than a pain in my knee. Went to see a masseuse ( spelling?) yesterday to see what he could do for me. He spent quite a time talking and getting my history and then had a look at my operated leg. He was astonished at how well my scar was looking. He said that all my muscles are very tight and he thinks I have 'housemaids knee'. He did tell me the medical term but I can't remember it!!:scratch: He then spent about 15 mins massaging my thigh muscles and the knee area. I'm pretty sore today and am wondering if it's ok to have another next week or not? I'm happy to be a bit sore if it is doing the muscles good. He said I need to break up the scar tissue. All sounded reasonable at the time but am now worrying I am doing more harm than good. Any feedback would be welcome. Has anyone else had massages?
Cathy

Re: Massage- good or bad idea?

That's a good point. I go for regular massages but waiting for my surgery so am interested in when I can resume them.

I'm not medically trained so can't say how beneficial it is after a THR but I get the same aches and pains around my thigh area. knee etc so would assume it's muscular pain. I would assume it would release the tension around the hip joint allowing the hip to be more fluid and hopefully increase the ROM.

Will look at this thread with interest.
Jyoti

Cathy, Since my operation 3 1/2 months ago, I have never been offered massage, and don't know what I would have done if it had been offered. My recovery has been fairly good, even very good, so not sure if it would have been any better with massage. I followed a pattern of exercises and stretches based on what I was taught by the excellent physios in hospital. The last guy I spoke with said each exercise should receive 8 repetitions 4 times a day shortly after arriving home. I did this as carefully and slowly as I could and then thought that more would not necessarily be better but it might, just as long as I didn't push too far and get into any distress. So I pushed the repetitions up to 15, which seems to be some sort of magic number favoured by the fitness experts at the local gym. These were all followed until the full range of movement was reached for each of the exercises. At no time did I push an exercise beyond what I like to call the distress level. Reach it but don't cross it. Remember that if a muscle or other tissue is stretched beyond what is reasonable it is likely to respond by contracting more than is desirable. At its worst this would become full blown cramp - definitely to be avoided.

The best about this sort of programme is that you would be in charge, and not at the mercy of a person who with the best will and expertise in the world is not feeling what you are feeling. The only person who can hear what your body is saying is you.

Hope this could be of some use.

All the best,

Alan

Thanks Alan. I am also following my exercises given by my physio plus walking a mile a day and doing aquarobics twice a week. The massage isn't instead of exercise it is too help with my sore knee.
Cathy

Hi Cathy, I don't think you can do any damage getting a massage. I had one about 8 weeks out. But I will warn you it made me feel like I had been hit by a truck! I was SO sore after it I never went back for another.

Just my experience so go for it if it helps!

Thanks Jaycey. I feel a bit sore today but I'm hoping it will benefit me in the end.My muscles were very tight in my operate leg and feel a bit looser today. Will see how I feel in a few days.
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I go for regular massage and am a big believer in it. After my replacement in November, I think I waited about four weeks to go back. My biggest concerns were being able to get onto and off the table, and being able to comfortably lay on my stomach for the massage. Once I had been spending part of my sleeping time on my stomach, I got myself right back in there.

As long as you trust the masseuse to listen and respond to you, no harm should come, and lots of benefit is possible. You can direct him as to where you do and don't want him to work, and what level of pressure feels comfortable at any given time. If you don't want him going too close to the actual surgical site yet you can tell him that, and change it if and when it feels comfortable to you.

Our bodies have been through quite a trauma, and our muscles have been working overtime trying to keep us going. I think it's a kindness to them to offer them a massage. I know I will be heading back very soon again, myself. Enjoy! Kim

I was at a visit with my OS this morning and asked his opinion on massage. He said he was fine with the idea but not until about 8 weeks post-op. He said that since the healing process is so variable person to person, a deep tissue massage may not be a good idea until you give the incision area adequate time to heal first.

Dan

Thanks Dan for your reply. I am 8 weeks post op and my incision is healed well. The massage is really for the quads and the knee area.so shouldn't affect the incision. Not sure how deep tissue my massage was. He only used his fihgers and said that he would often use his elbows, but in my case he would be quite gentle.I'm still a bit sore today so glad he didnt go any 'deeper'!!!
Cathy

I was going to say it depends who is doing it. That I'd be leery of someone who wasn't medically qualified. But what you describe is exactly what my Australian chiropractor does. It's called 'acupressure'. I often tell my chiro that Australia must breed chaps with very sharp elbows! :th_heehee: But he is ace and I've been going to him for 10 years now.

The masseuse works at a chiropractice. I have decide to have another one this week. I was sore for a few days but think my leg feels a bit 'looser' now.
Cathy

I love going to see my chiropractor. Not only is he nice to look at and to chat to (his wife is a houseman at the hospital where I worked and is currently doing orthopaedics!) but I always feel so much better when I leave! Looser is the word! :THUMB:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom