THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
ello, ello, Carol... ? Love your posts, you keep me going babe 

Good for you on mowing the lawn. I cannot wait to be able to do that. I love any kind of yard work (well maybe an overstatement) . ...and tying shoes? WhooHoo I say! Happy Monday
-Cathy

Carol,

How are you doing? Miss your humor...you and Charlie our stand up comedians...Hoping you are well and hanging in there.

7:46 pm<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Day 85 POP<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Hello Everyone<o:p></o:p>
Long time no posting….<o:p></o:p>
I have been abit blue lately. Not the “blues” but more the darn it, nuts, this is disappointing, cranky blues.<o:p></o:p>
To recap I went to a new PT on the 2 May. All appeared so promising…a plan for my recovery and progress into a healthier lifestyle. But…It’s been disappointing because I have been in pain since I started with the new PT. I feel I just can’t win. :hissyfit: I know I am getting better. My ability to tie a shoe lace and put on a sock is almost like normal. <o:p></o:p>
That is the only thing that is keeping me positive (if positive is the right word to use.) The PT is quite aggressive, doing muscle releasing (I call it torture) and the muscles are not as painful with each succeeding session but I just cannot see getting through this if I have to tolerate the level of pain that comes with the PT. It’s the kind of pain that makes you nauseous :sick: Nuts, I hate this!<o:p></o:p>
I had a personal trainer session yesterday. It went OK but he had me doing exercises on my knees and that is not going to work as the silly things were all swollen up last night. <o:p></o:p>
I saw the PT who is coordinating everything today and she could see I was walking slow and limping pretty good today. I explained that I was in a world of pain and when she asked how long that was going on I told her as long as I have been seeing her. She “backed off” in her session so I will have to see how things go.

I am planning to cancel all appointments for the rest of the week just to give my ole body a rest. Maybe it’s just too much. Two PT sessions a week and now there will be two personal trainer sessions a week, their recommendation but if I feel better over the weekend I am cutting things back. <o:p></o:p>
I know I’m complaining but I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel anymore and it’s been 6 weeks since I got this stupid injury. :DOH:I keep thinking that the end of March was the last time I felt like a human or any improvement in my condition. And to add insult to the injury the torn muscle is still only 50 %----6 weeks and still no significant improvement. <o:p></o:p>
I was trying to figure out what things don’t hurt. The list is short as now my back is really bad and my neck which hasn’t bothered me for years has been giving me the gears. Oh but my pinkie fingers and my toes are OK. <o:p></o:p>
Gets me down most days. Only good thing is the weather has been absolutely wonderful. But then that also brings its own stuff as I would love to be gardening. Shucks…and gee whiz this is just crappy! :cry4:

<o:p></o:p>

Take care Everyone and be comfortable<o:p></o:p>

Carol, I think your plan to scale back is right on target. Pushing to the point of pain and nausea is never a good plan.

Geez Carol, you should never have that kind of pain during PT. What was she thinking?

I agree - scale back and see how resting and using ice feels. If things ease off then that PT is not what is needed.

Please keep us updated won't you?

Hi Carol,

Well 2 out of three J mod(erator)s say that you should scale it back some... if you like we can wait until Jo weighs in on the situation as well ---

Please let your torn muscle heal and your body settle down some. It is frustrating (been there/done that), but the more you beat yourself up about it the more you'll continue to feel frustrated & disappointed. All those helpful PT people will still be around in a month's time should you decide to go back to them, but for now you need to take it easy and try to add to the list of body parts that don't hurt...

Take care:friends:
Cardie

Hi Carol,

Torn muscles can take a very long time to heal, please hang in there:sigh: I, like you, don't respond the best to PT and it took me forever to find one that listened to me and doesn't make me feel bad on days I can't do certain exercises. You know your body better than anyone so if you need rest, rest it is.:sleep: Take care, honey.:friends:

Hi Carol

Hon, your thoughts about backing off from the PT is spot on. You need to rest and let the injured muscle heal and that takes time and rest.

I am upset for you that the PT is pushing you so hard, this is not allowing your body to recover.. This is torture for you.

Rest, rest, elevate, ice, heat, pain meds anything but letting a PT train you for the Olympics.. gentle walking and go back to the basic exercises honey :).

Sending big, big hugs xxxxx

Carol,
Just reading through and catching up on your progress. Wow, sounds like your PT was way too aggressive. I agree that scaling back on the workouts and letting your body rest might be the best method! I think it's really easy for us to want to push ourselves to recover and when you have a PT who thinks this is Olympics training, its easy to over do it. Take it easy and keep us updated. It WILL get better:)
Dee

8:48 am<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Day 89 POP, Day 45 PIN (post injury)<o:p></o:p>
Hello Everyone<o:p></o:p>
I have a chronological date of POP and an adjusted date. <o:p></o:p>
I have started to track my days post injury (PIN) as I heard somewhere that if you are injured after surgery your recovery actually restarts on the day after your injury. And I feel just this way. I have been setback at least 6 weeks in my recovery and my mental and physical health feels today ljust like where I was at the end of March. So I have decided that the time I have lost to injury is exactly that, lost and disappeared and I am really just at day 45 in my recovery.<o:p></o:p>
When I look at the time this way I feel stronger mentally. As Cardie said I have to stop beating myself up because that is exactly what I have been doing, beating myself up over circumstances that I have absolutely no control over. I have for the past 6 weeks been twisting into a pretzel trying to get myself “recovered” as if the injury never occurred. But it did and I have to face the fact that it is going to take me even more time yet as during the past 6 weeks I have been causing myself more harm than good. I never gave myself the time to heal but then again not solely by my choice but based upon the advice of trained professionals. Hex upon them….Boo---Hiss!!!!<o:p></o:p>
So I took this week off and will be off until the end of the month, doing as little as possible and as I feel better and stronger to start walking in my neighbourhood and nothing more. Well not exactly I am doing a little gardening but I will tolerate some stiffness and discomfort in exchange for the boost to my mental health. <o:p></o:p>
I believe that my GP has lost sight of the fact that I am injured in his pain management plan which is partly my fault as I was having a good day when I saw him and agreed to the reduction in my morphine to half the dose with no replacement for baseline pain management. He had suggested that I just use my Percocet as I needed it but that would mean every 4 hours. Nuts to that! It’s like stealing from Peter to pay Paul. Anyways I did try with the reduced meds for two days and all I had was level 7 pain so that does not work. <o:p></o:p>
I talked to my son, the pharmacist, and even he thought it was unreasonable to have me take my morphine either in the morning or the evening and nothing for the other part of the day. (I am on MS Contin which is a time release morphine that you take once every 12 hours.)

It literally leaves me with no baseline pain med for the other ½ of the day and that was why I had such pain. Only problem is I am taking the lowest mg that morphine comes in, 15 mg. He suggested that I see my own pharmacist and see if he had any suggestions and he would think about it too. It’s a problem as I can’t take ibuprofen, acetaminophen or T3s. Bummer!<o:p></o:p>
Regardless I have made an executive decision to return my morphine dose to the way it was. I am so much better pain wise and it gives me a chance to breathe between thinking of when the next meds are due. I will fight the fight with my GP when I see him in 10 days as of course he only gave me enough morphine for 30 days and that will now only last me 15 days. <o:p></o:p>
I am trying so hard to accommodate everyone else. Listen to PT, get hurt. Feel I have failed the “test” by my surgeon who was quite put off when I had the nerve to get injured after surgery. (I sensed he was mildly annoyed with my progress.) Then to bust my butt for a second PT thinking that to get where I want to go involves vigorous intervention and pain. (I know better but I wanted this so badly.) Then to please my GP who thinks that I need to get off of the narcotics but without a back up plan for pain management except for T3s. Which as I indicated to him was something I can't take. His answer We'll see how it goes. <o:p></o:p>
Anyhoo----<o:p></o:p>
So far so good. I don’t feel so sore and my neck is not as angry. The gardening I have been doing keeps my brain busy and right now I need that to keep myself from thinking I “should” be doing something for my recovery. But did I not hear somewhere that in the UK PT is not done automatically as they figure you will manage to recover with normal day to day activities. If that is the case I think I’ll try that for a while.<o:p></o:p>
Take care and be comfortable :ATT637464:<o:p></o:p>

Hiya Carol I just want to say " good for you" :thumb: There comes a time when we have to listen to our own bodies rather than the professionals and do what WE think is the best for ourselves. None of them, your OS GP PT have a clue how exactly you are feeling, only you know that so I applaud you for doing what you think is best for you for a while.

Hope you continue to enjoy pottering in your garden, it is such a simple pleasure isn't it.

Big hugs

Ann.x.

Thanks Ann

I'm keeping my fingers, toes and ankles crossed that this plan will be the one that works. I see the surgeon 15 June and I would like to at least be able to walk with a cane.

Good plan with the meds Carol. You need that pain under control to get more mobile.

Hang in there! Just a bump in the road to recovery!

Carol......you are wise!!! We know our bodies MUCH better than doctors and therapists and you need to do what works for you. Healing is done on your body's time clock. No one can alter that. The important fact is one you have discovered.....keeping pain at bay makes healing easier. So....stay on the assertive role with your medical team so that they are helping you and not fighting with what your body needs. You will get there. Injuries do delay things, but you will still reach your recovery goals. It's not a race. It's not a "timed" process. Recovery is just ..... yours!!

Carol,

My PT told me to start "counting" my recovery time from my set back in Jan. and it helped me to do that. I feel right where you are at and my friends, family, doctors, etc. don't seem to understand any longer why this is taking so long but the more I am able to take care of myself the better and I'm sure that will be the way for you also. Hang in there, my friend, and know that we understand and thank goodness we have each other. Peace and love to you, Carol.

Hi Carol,
So sorry to hear you are feeling down. I don't think I could have coped with your P.T. mine is much kinder, trying to stretch me a little further than I am at, but not too far and also being mindful of where I am not where I should be. I think you are doing the right thing cutting back. When I had a bump on my hip and it swelled up and was really painful I rested it almost completely and then built up again slowly. It worked for me. It was frustrating and I felt I'd gone backwards in my recovery and was terrified of more permanent damage- but now with a bit more time I've upped my activity levels again. Swimming seems to be my greatest friend at the moment, I went three times last week and it helped so much both physically and mentally.
:friends:keep believing in yourself
Gizmo

Hello Everyone

Just a quickie this time...(no comments from the peanut gallery :wink1:.)

When I had the surgery I was quite expecting there to be alot of stuff (pain, discomfort, etc) going on with the hip area, right where the surgery was done. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have much of anything....that is until recently. I now have discomfort and tenderness in the incision area and I was just wondering what is going on? I was thinking that there was actually numbness that was there before and now it is gone and there is still some healing of the deep tissues that is still in the works. Ideas?

Thanks as always for the support and information. I consider BS as the most reliable place for me to go when I run (OK walk...OK limp) into snags. :loll:

Take care Everyone and be comfortable :ATT637464:

My incision area still bothers me, and I had my surgery close to a month before yours. It's not so much the skin incision, but more where the muscles and other tissue were cut and sutured back together underneath. I can feel that a little further towards my butt than the actual skin incision line.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mine (and there probably isn't anything wrong with yours either, Carol)--a lot of cutting and sewing stuff back together happened there and it will take a while for that to completely heal. Also as we get more active and move/stretch the area, I think we feel it more than when we were sedentary. I have 2 specific stretches that my surgeon told me to do to stretch out the area. I can tell it helps. If I don't do them for a few days, things start to tighten back up again.

I remember the incision from my hysterectomy (9" bikini line incision) felt painful here and there for at least 6 months ... maybe even close to a year before things were completely healed. I think this is just a normal part of the healing process. They didn't cut any muscles with that, just pushed them out of the way, so the hip surgery was more involved.

It is strange, though, when the joint feels really good, yet there is pain and tightness around the incision that's quite a ways away from the actual joint replacement. That has seemed strange to me too. I don't think I ever felt any pain in the actual joint or from the bone cutting and prosthesis insertion after surgery. It was always pain where they did all the cutting and stitching. And, because I have ample tissue there (AKA extra fat), maybe I'm noticing it more than someone who didn't have as much for them to cut through to get to the joint. Just guessing. Regardless, it hasn't been a big deal overall, but it is an odd feeling at this stage of the game when the joint itself feels as good as new. I hear you.

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back