THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup - it's a roller coaster both mentally and physically. But soon the good days will out number the bad. Hang in there Carol!

:th_heehee: Yummmm!

Hi Carol

Thanks hon for the chocolate :)

How have things been going the past few days?

It is so true that we all seem to hit the six week slump! I put it down to the fact that we were on a high getting through the surgery and those initial few weeks of magic milestones.. Then all of a sudden, all the other chores of living encroach, like the laundry! I told a story on one of my posts about the fact that we bought a new washing mashing, the biggest we had ever had and since the surgery I just can't reach to the bottom of it...

I laughed so much Carol about your story of trying to get the laundry in... I have the opposite, can't get it out. So I wish it would climb out of the tub and walk itself to the clothes line and peg itself up!

We can always dream I guess.. Sending lots of love and hugs xoxoxoxox

Happy Easter Carol,

Hope you are having a fun, lots of chocy Easter weekend hehehe! Hope you are well too!

xxooxx

ai241.photobucket.com_albums_ff76_smjiggs_2012_20download_chocolate.jpg

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Happy Easter to Everyone.
<o:p></o:p>
10:00 am
Day 47 POP
I have been MIA for a bit---having some issues.
I seemed to be doing so well, even reducing the frequency of my medications. I was feeling quite pleased---cocky a bit. Well I should know better! :DOH:
The magic 6 weeks comes and my PT tells me to move to the cane which I did. That was 10 days ago (Thurs.) By this week Tues (my next PT app’t) I could barely walk and when it was like that Trendelenburg gait and significant discomfort/pain in my groin. PT tells me to move back to the walker fulltime.
I am so discouraged :cry4:because I feel I have backpedalled at least 3 weeks. I can’t take any walks and even moving around the house is a problem. My drug consumption is back to full dosage. Nuts!!!
I have been researching on Google for anything that could have gone wrong (and you know what that does.) And I have come up with an Iliopsoas Impingement.
I hate using Google like that but I have dug my hole and until I see my PT Tues and mostly my OS on the 13<SUP>th</SUP> of this month I need answers so I don’t drive myself any crazier :hairpulling: than I already have.
I know…I know. I am jumping to conclusions but remember I am a fatalist. I have this need to consider all things.
I go to my chiropractor on Monday to have a consultation regarding my sore SI joints and lower back. I hope she can also give me some professional ideas rather than the ohmigod I have malaria that you come up with when you Google sore groin and go to page 116.
I trust I will get some gentle kicking in the pants from my BS friends. But in the meantime. Eat lots of chocolate and
Take care Everyone :ATT637464:

Carol,

Maybe there should be a "serenity prayer" geared towards post hip replacement patients, lol.

Dorothy

You remind me of a Seinfeld episode about Serenity Now. Kramer figures that by chanting Serenity Now he can handle all life's problems except he went crazy chanting Serenity Now!!!!

Hey maybe that will work----
Serenity Now! (I'm feeling better)
Serenity Now (Wow this is good stuff, who needs morphine?)
Serenity Now :hysterical:

Can't do side legs lifts and clamshells

:what:

I feel like such a dunce. I am 7 weeks POP and my PT is trying to get me to do side leg lifts and there is no way in creation that is going to happen. I have instant :hate-shocked:6 level pain and no strength in my 'bad' hip to lift my leg upwards (even the just clear the leg distance she has asked me to do.) I am to try 3 lifts once a day. Not exactly Hercules but it ain't working.

Any advice?:rolleyespink:

Re: Can't do side legs lifts and clamshells

I know what you mean. I'm a year out and still find it very difficult. Lucky to lift leg by a few cms. Still weak muscles. It will come in time. Just practice regularly.
Good luck
Jyoti

I know what you mean. I'm a year out and still find it very difficult. Lucky to lift leg by a few cms. Still weak muscles. It will come in time. Just practice regularly.
Good luck
Jyoti
Thank you that makes me feel so much better to know that my life will not come to an end because I can't do those darn leg lifts.

Did you have any issues with a cane? I limp real bad and PT said that the leg lifts would help.

Aw Carol, so sorry you are having a bad time. It's the roller coaster again!

You say you are taking your meds. That's good! Are you still icing and elevating?

Can you describe where you are hurting a bit more? Have you searched in the Library at all. There are some good threads about IT Band and Piriformis issues. Do any of those match your symtoms?

If you give us a bit more information we might be able to suggest something to get you a bit of relief. Hang in there!

Hi Carol,
Try the exercise in standing, it takes gravity out of the picture, hold on at the kitchen sink for balance. Your PT should be able to modify the exercise for you. Pain at a "6" is too much.
Slow and easy.

I agree with Chris - try gentle lifts to the side while standing. Work with these until you feel totally comfortable and in control.

There is no need to try and do lifts if they are hurting you. Tell PT to back off and let you work at your own pace. Those muscles are complaining and forcing them is only going to cause more pain.

I remember at 4 weeks out PT was asking me to do leg lifts lying down. They really hurt and I was very discouraged. That's when alexthecat told me not to worry about what week it was in my recovery or what I couldn't do that others could at 4 weeks.

We are all different and we recover at different rates. Back off, rest and try again another day Carol.

You say you are taking your meds. That's good! Are you still icing and elevating?

Can you describe where you are hurting a bit more? Have you searched in the Library at all. There are some good threads about IT Band and Piriformis issues. Do any of those match your symtoms?

If you give us a bit more information we might be able to suggest something to get you a bit of relief. Hang in there!
Thanks for your concern--It's reassuring to hear that I am not hallucinating symptoms.

I have deep groin pain that runs from the private area on the underwear line over to the hip and the hip capsule has started to be painful after simply weeks of no discomfort at all.
It's just like this has magically happened and the PT and cane business has aggravated the situation immensely.

I honestly feel very :wacko: discombubillated (sp?) I was doing so very well and now this groin pain has reared its ugly little head :hairpulling:.

I will check the library for your sugesstions to see if anything matches.

Thanks muchly @Josephine:

Thanks Pumpkin and Jaycey

I am glad to say that I have no problems with the side legs lifts when standing. So I will do as you have recommended and lose the what week is it?

PT will just have to go with my flow instead of the other way around.

Thanks again!!:biggrin:

I agree with the others Carol - my PT did not have me trying side leg lifts while lying down until about 12 weeks after surgery (of course my situation is different than yours as I had both hips done at once) - but she did have me doing them standing up - and once I could do them with out pain she added a Theraband - piece of wide stretch elastic - to tie around my legs at calf level and then do the standing leg slides out and back - the first band was yellow and gave some resistance and worked those muscles nicely. 2nd band was red and was much harder to do - but by then the muscles had strengthened enough to not be painful. Do the standing leg slides and work up gradually - try to do one more each session or getting leg a bit further out. And if it starts to hurt STOP.

Another thought - if you're limping a lot with a cane, maybe going back to crutches for a while might help. I found I limped much more with a cane - even with it adjusted to the correct height I tended to list to one side - crutches seemed to help me stand straighter and walk better. Also concentrate on heel-toe, heel-toe gait.

I had the same trouble with straight leg lifts (lying flat on back). The PT suggested some easier exercises that would fire up the same muscles, the new exercises were much less painful, and the straight leg lifts were doable after about 2 weeks.

I also found the standing side leg lifts useful. Worked up to 2 sets of 15 before trying the lying side leg lifts.

As for the limp, try the standing marching exercise. Stand before a sink or table, hands on the table for balance, then left each knee straight up. My PT said that people who march regularly don't develop a limp.

I think that PT's put too much stock into what exercises you can do, and when you can do them. My PT got very upset when I couldn't do the straight leg raises. She emailed my OS, who got really worried himself and called me in for an exam. He was greatly relieved when he saw that I was really doing OK. It was all sort of silly, really. It makes more sense to measure progress by how you feel and what daily activities you can perform. And progress by that standard will come in its own good time.

Carol I tagged Jo in your post so she can see and comment. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020