THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol-I hope your sleep is coming back tonight. I wouldnt doubt if you are not sleeping well its really affecting your mood, theres enough mood altering post op as it is!

I had SI problems on R side with RTHR. A TENS machine worked good. Can you have your PT hook you up to something for the SI discomfort??

Hi Haldox
I am really interested in the TENS machine as discomfort doesn't mean a pain pill but some kind of support would be a nice change from the narcotics.

I am not all that cranked up about my PT. It is a POP group and there seems to be no time for discussion regarding other aches and inconveniences. I am going to check on Tues if I can get a TENS trial.

Maybe I am jumping the gun a bit it is only day 27 and Iam still having issues with the Wed night calamity in our friend's bathroom and having a nasty event after trying to get off of a normal height toilet. It still feels like a tear or something. As it was happening I had visions of Hagar and Catapulting but there weren't no cat but maybe canapulting would have helped me to get off. :loll:

Hi Carol,
Some posts about TENS are missing after all the outages. TENS are under $50 on Amazon. Be sure to get one with a timer, and multiple modes. Your PT can help you with the setup.:biggrin:

Hey Carol just needed somebody pounding on the door real loudly while you are in a deep drug induced sleep! Keep the stories coming, girl!

I am still feeling some discomfort (don't want to say pain) around the joint which I can only blame on that incident. I still plan on climbing into the cab of my Kenworth in 15 days!

Hi Carol,

I saw that you'd mentioned having some SI pain in someone else's thread, maybe Dianemarie's. I don't know if you worked with a chiropractor before your surgery, but I found chiropractic adjustments very helpful in getting my low back to stretch and settle some after the surgery. For a long time -- about 9 months, it felt as if one of the bones of my pelvis was totally out of alignment. It is just starting to feel as if it's back into place and now the muscles and tendons are still adjusting.

I started back to the chiropractor after I'd been back to the OS for my post-op release. Only went once a week or so and he did some work on my quadratus lumborum muscles.

Not sure what it is that creates this SI problem for some -- I theorized that it was the force behind the implant hardware and/or the force used to install the cup, etc. into my pelvis.

I hope that yours will settle sooner than mine did, it is a terribly distracting pain...

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Carol, one of the threads I remember seeing (that has now disappeared) was Jo's answer to your question about which TENs to purchase. She posted this thread from the Library and said the machine in the thread is the one she uses.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Hi Carol, one of the threads I remember seeing (that has now disappeared) was Jo's answer to your question about which TENs to purchase. She posted this thread from the Library and said the machine in the thread is the one she uses.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately the link for the TENS for Jo only shows a machine but I cannot see the brand.

Hi Carol, the brand name really doesn't matter. What you do need is 2 pairs of electrodes as the thread describes. I'll tag Jo and maybe she can add some more info @Josephine:

Carol-I use a Tens3000 seen here. If you scroll down it will give you product details.

Also here is a site for where to place the electrodes for various issues. I've never followed a chart, mostly you can just throw it on around the pain and move it around if its not working good. Interesting site though!

I have used TENS for countless things, even for IT band issues and when I had TB. :thumb:

I did post a nice reply to you, Carol, but the problems over the weekend have deleted it! So here goes again!

Jaycey is right - make unimportant, just make sure you get a two channel device with a few modes. Modes are types of sensation you get which can be trickle, tapping, waves and so on. I usually try to get one that has a combo of several modes because eventually the nerves become accustomed to the sensation and lose effectiveness. So having a combo mode means it loops with several modes so it ranges from one to the other and the nerves don't become desensitised.

As for the pads, do remember that they don't last that long and you will need to changed them regularly. As a rule, I find they last the equivalent of about 4 hours continuous usage. The leaflets often say the gel can be revitalised by dampening with water but I've never found it so. So I get really cheap ones off Ebay! There are brown coloured ones available called "long lasting" pads but in my experience they don't even last one usage as the adhesive isn't that good so avoid them.

Thanks Everyone for your input regarding the TENS machine.

I will followup and get one ASAP as I really want to have an option to drugs when it come to aches and pains. :thumb:

Carol,

Good luck with the TENS, I used one a long time ago for some issues and had great results with it. Your insurance may cover it, it is worth checking into. But the prices now are a lot less than when I had one. All the best!

I am not all that cranked up about my PT. It is a POP group and there seems to be no time for discussion regarding other aches and inconveniences.

Hi Carol,

What does this mean? Are you having a group physical therapy session? I can understand not being very enthusiastic, if that is the case. Are you able to request individual PT sessions instead??

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Carol,
I went to a PT group session earlier in my recovery. It was just really depressing as I was so far behind the others in the group.People that had had their op after me could do things I was no where near doing. It was also really embarassing as I cried and felt really silly.:blush::cry: It did more harm than good and I felt down for some time after. After that session I had individual PT and also went to a water therapy group. I am now going back to group PT but this time I am able to manage ok and so it is helpful.:dancy:
Good luck with finding pain management that you are comfortable with
Gizmo

Hi Carol, just checking in with you.

Wasn't keen to hear the story of trying to get off the friends low toilet seat... I avoid them like the plague! If I can, go so used to my raised toilet seat.

All the best 

7:20 pm<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Day 34 POP<o:p></o:p>
Hello Everyone<o:p></o:p>
I have been MIA for over a week. I have been having some unsettling stuff going on. <o:p></o:p>
It started with my on going issues with constipation which I generally do OK with as I have been on the narcotics for over 6 months but since surgery things changed. <o:p></o:p>
So last Wed nite at 8:45 pm I am sitting on the toilet (trying to take care of business) when I suddenly had a horrible panic attack. I have had them before but not like this. I was totally…just totally taken away. I fall /run down the stairs slipping and hurting myself :cry:and told my husband to take me to emergency where I managed to get it under control until I saw the dr on call. He took me into the small treatment room and was telling me that there is not too much that they do for the constipation you will not die from it and it will pass in a few days. As for the panic attack not too much to do for that eitherjust remember that you will not die, do some deep breathing and I did not even hear what he said next. I went right back into a full blown panic attack. I had to get out of the room (claustrophobia …walls pushing in) I left the room and spent the next two hours pacing the halls trying to come down from the anxiety but every time I got close to the treatment area (not even the actual room) it started again. <o:p></o:p>
I finally left the emergency area and went to the waiting room and then outside where I was finally able to get myself under control. I asked the nurse if the doctor would treat me outside of the emergency area and they said no so I went home. I suffered with the after effects of the anxiety until 4:30 (7 hours.)<o:p></o:p>
The next morning seemed to be OK until I had to get up out of bed and the anxiety pressure in my chest began again. This time it just stayed as full body sweating, heart palpitations, stiff muscles and fear for the whole morning. Finally at noon I called my GP. He gave me Ativan explaining that my system was still ramped up from the multiple attacks from the night before. It has helped me immensely. We also discussed whether there may be an element of post surgery depression coming into play. I have been fearful of more attacks (even the slightest chest pressure last night sent me to the Ativan). I have made an appointment to see a counsellor. <o:p></o:p>
And I thought that the THR was a pain. <o:p></o:p>
Nuts I need this like a hole in the head. :cry4:<o:p></o:p>

Wow, Carol, wow, I feel for you. I am sorry to hear this.

You might need more than a counselor. I am on medication, have been for many many years, and have a great life thanks to chemistry. It took a while to reach stability, but once there my life has been wonderful. I do know that if it were not for my therapist and psychiatrist, I would not be here. I guess what I am saying is the right combination to help you is out there. Don't give up until you find it, and keep us posted. I know personally how horrible it is to lose control. Keep fighting. Do not be afraid to cry. If one person does not have the right combination to unlock your horror, somebody else does. Keep looking and please keep us posted.

Hi Hagar

Thank you for your kind words.

This development is all so darn unexpected.

I have only had panic attacks (4 in my whole life) because I suffer from a medical condition where my throat closes up involuntarily and it feels like I cannot breathe. I generally handle the anxiety relatively well because I know what the attack is, but I guess I just have gone tilt and now I'm feeling a bit vulnerable. The good thing is I have a great GP who told me I am not alone in this and the Dr at emergency was a dunce. There was something to help me at the time the Ativan.

My GP told me that the Ativan was there to use only as absolutely necessary (which I understand). I am to gauge how things are going for the next 2 weeks and if I feel I need his assistance before the two weeks to come and he will see me asap in the office. We also discussed medication. It was empowering to hear him say he was there to help. Things will get better as I have taken a proactive approach to this. Tuesday (my counsellor app't) only be the beginning.

Thanks again. Keep your fingers crossed. :friends:

Oh Carol, that's awful! Poor you! Hope things are settling for you. Hang in there - and please do keep us updated! Recovery is a roller coast sometimes.

Carol,

So sorry to hear about your plight, hon. I experienced some anxiety after my 1st replacement and went to see a counselor...it helped immensely. After my 2nd I ended up back in the hospital with severe pain after overdoing it and had some pretty intense anxiety again so...back to the counselor and again it is helping. The constipation issue is not fun either. I took stool softener/laxative for the longest time after my 2nd THR. So, if it helps at all, you are not alone. I wish you all the best as you deal with this, please keep us posted so we can support you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom