THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you have said is very true - read this Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
I really appreciate your post regarding the blues. I have read this a number of times to remind myself that this is something I am going through not something I will live in. I just have to remember that it will be two steps forward and one back for the next little while and soon the steps forward will increase and the steps backwards will decrease. It's all a matter of prospective.

10:51 pm<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Day 16 POP<o:p></o:p>
I've had lots of pain today and meds are just barely keeping up. Actually pain is not really the word but its more than discomfort. I figure once it hits 6 it doesn’t matter. Ice helps and likewise with the elevation. It holds me but I can't read so all I can do is deep breathing and distraction. <o:p></o:p>
I was hoping that the discomfort I felt after PT would pass but not so lucky. I can't even say that PT was strenuous but I did feel the knee was being twisted even though it wasn't maybe it's just being stressed. So all in all pain at the knee, groin and right at the incision line of the hip. But with the first PT treatment I figured it was just a guess as to how many reps and how much weight. We had to get a baseline so today I put up with the ouch.<o:p></o:p>
I have to remind myself that my body is in charge here and I am its mere servant driving the boat. It's just too bad I have no say in the destination we are going because I would head for open water and a tropical island. Now I know I already live on an island but more south James!!<o:p></o:p>
Time for :sleep:
11:14 pm<o:p></o:p>
Take care Everyone <o:p></o:p>

Hi Carol,
Hope you are feeling better, and are taking it easy. Don't forget the tortoise won the race, not the speedy hare.

10:40 pm
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
End of Day 17 POP
Today was a good day. I took it easy and low and behold my knee and groin pain is reduced. I might just try doing the same tomorrow. I'm a slow learner so just one day at a time and see how it goes.
I'm trying to start a new routine for going to bed so my plan is to short post at night, read a little and as soon as my eyes start to close it will be lights out.
Take care Everyone

Hi Carol! Sounds like you have a great plan. Rest, rest and more rest. Taking things slow and steady - that's the ticket!

Nighty, night!:sleepz:

Carol,
I needed lots of rest for a long time post op. You are still early days really. But as the days go by and turn into weeks and months things should start to feel more ordinary. Even after 4 months I still feel I have a long way to go but gradually I am getting back some of my life. I didn't start physio until week10 and don't think I could have even contemplated it at your stage I was just too stiff and too exhausted. I did a few exercises at home and that was it. Sleep and rest are wonderful healers.
Take care
Gizmo

Carol,

Ditto what everyone else says...rest, rest and more rest are what you need right now. I learned that after my 1st THR...I let myself rest a lot more after the 2nd and it is so much better if I just "go with it". All the best.

1:27 pm
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Middle of Day 18 POP
Hello Everyone
I feel somewhat like the scene from My Fair Lady when they run around singing By Jove I think she's got it.
My little plan worked for me…well I certainly slept better. I fell asleep quicker and when I woke for medication or a potty break I turned off the lights and did some deep breathing and fell asleep quickly.
I know that working on the computer has always interfered with my sleep patterns before hip (BH) but when I had all the hip issues and no sleep pattern it did not bother me at all and being on the computer filled time when I could not sleep at night and kept me sane when I had dark blue days.
But maybe like some of the other things that I need to do to heal I need to establish better sleep routines. I have nothing to lose and ZZZZs to gain.
I have been pretty good about slowing my walking down and watching my gait and my knee/groin pain is down considerably. Who knew? I figured that the quicker I walked and exercised the better for my rehab. Uh-uh! Big time no-no. So to echo many of my rehab friends slow and easy does the trick.
I am so glad that the arthritis pain is gone. Sometimes I could just :cry: from the relief. Then I get all jazzed up and I could go to work, drive my car, go disco dancing :egypt-dance: you know all the silly stuff. But slow and easy. Take my time.
I am a very visual person. I also appreciate acronyms. I know that one of the cues I use is the hand on the knee for keeping the 90 degree rule. If my arm is straight when my hand is on my operated side knee I am OK; if my elbow is crooked not OK.
So one that I am using to slow me down (correct my precautions) is my hip is a big screw and hunk of wood. If I do not behave the screw starts coming out. It is an instant picture in my pea sized brain. Kind of scary :doorscary: but definitely effective.
I heard from my OS that I have to keep to the precautions for 6 months. Yikes! To me that is a long time but remember the screw in the hip.
I am going to grab a nap. 'til later.
1:52 pm
Take care Everyone

Hi Carol,
Yes, the computer screen will wake you up. I slept better when I banished the iPad from the bedroom. Take it easy and feel better.

Hi Carol,
Haven't heard from you for a couple of days, hope everything is going well.
Slow and easy!
Cold and windy here, going to Target and drive around in one of the little carts today for entertainment.

Looks like it is working. The first two weeks are the roughest. then you get used to your recovery and you begin to wean yourself from BS cause you are not as scared or frightened as you once were. Enjoy yourself My friend.

10:18 pm
Day 22 POP
Hello Everyone
I have been away for a few days but not from BS. I have been reading a lot of recovery stories the last few days as I have been feeling crappy and I was wondering if this was par for the course.
Sunday night was very weird, restless dozing for a few minutes then awake, doze again then awake, did it all night, just very weird. Woke up Monday morning in agony ---SI joint on the left side just burning and sharp pain; no drugs held it so I was in bed with ice for the morning. It settled down for the afternoon but I just was not feeling that great.
I saw my GP for pain meds today. That went well. I thought for sure that he would echo the OS and want me off the narcotics but he said he would leave things as they are (not broken don’t fix it) and he feels that I need the pain mgt for the PT that I am moving into. So for the next 2 months I am assured that we are on the same page. I had him check my BP---normal so that is not the reason for the nausea and dizziness. He suggest that I keep an eye on my diet with the drugs---protein has not been high on my list as I am watching the fiber side of things to keep all the machinery operating properly. I know that the drugs inherently cause dizziness and nausea so I just need to keep a closer eye on things.
I had my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> PT session today. My 1<SUP>st</SUP> one caused me a lot of discomfort so I was a little anxious but my PT said it was normal. We kept to the same routine and if I still have a lot of discomfort she will modify things. I see her Thursday for my first POP day, which is a combination pool and dryland PT.
I have been a little worried about pain meds and PT and why I am nauseous and just feeling blech and whether or not the sun is going to shine tomorrow, my brain is on drugs how can I keep it from wandering. Sleep has been eluding me and last night Vanna and I had a reunion for 4 hours. But heck I had a lot of reading to do. I don't understand it no sleep at night and no naps during the day. It's starting to wear me down. Oh well this, as with all things, will pass.
I do know that I have been way too serious lately and I have to twist that around a bit (not much) so that I can enjoy (that is not the word) my recovery. But I know that positive thoughts work a lot better than what I have been doing lately. More things to think about. Yuck!
10:52 pm
Take care Everyone

You are experiencing the recovery roller coaster. Some days are up and some down. Soon things will even out!

So glad your GP is reasonable about pain meds. That is so important!

6 months on restrictions - wow that is a long time. But in the grand scheme of things - just a short time for a lifetime free of that pain.

Hang in there Carol! You are doing well!

Hello Jaycey

You are so right about my GP. I even told him that he had relieved my mind regarding the narcotics. He was so deliberate when he told me this was an important time in my recovery that the medications allow me to proceed unrestricted by pain or discomfort. He also indicated that he had no problems with me being on the narcotics for as long as I have as I had a strong idea what I wanted from the drugs and wanted to be off them as quickly as he did. This reassured me that at least I had the GP on my side.

I was really surprised about the 6 months precautions set by my OS but perhaps this is something to cement the idea of being careful with what I do with Marvin and he might lift the precautions with time, I'm hoping (fingers crossed.)

Thank you so much for your support, it means alot to know what the BSers are there when I need the help and a shoulder to lean on.

Carol,

Even though you are feeling weird and not quite yourself you are on the road to recovery as this is all a part of it. I find it best to go with it if possible and use the time to relax, watch TV, movies, read, etc. Rest, rest and more rest is in order. It does seem long but like Jaycey said it is short compared to the rest of your life.
Eating protein is so important to recovery as well as the fiber. Just on TV yesterday a nutritionist said that while recovering from surgery one should eat 20gm. more protein than they usually do. I feel better on the days I get more from good sources...eggs, fish, chicken, turkey. Check out the nutrition thread in the library, it has some great info.
Don't worry about sleeping in the recliner, or just rest, it will all come together in time.

Thanks Diane for the words of wisdom.
I surprise myself most times as I Know these things. I just don't recall them or at best I am too close to the problem to recognize that i have to apply my know how to myself.

Know what you mean..."know" it and "apply" it can be miles apart for me also. lol

have a great day!

Carol,
Much easier to sdvise people what to do, when we need the the same advice we cannot figure it out.
My SI goes out too, I like heat best, use ice every where else.
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back