THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
3:33 am <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Day 8 POP<o:p></o:p>
Mornin' :mornincoffee:<o:p></o:p>
I have been up for about ½ an hour---keeping ahead of the pain. I am a little miffed that with all the drugs I am taking sleep is still the great mystery. I know the drugs are one of the reasons that I am not sleeping but still :hissyfit: com'on isn't that why I had the hip done in the first place. Nuts!<o:p></o:p>
I had a really nice evening last night after a rather irksome phone call from an acquaintance from the old neighbourhood. She called to ask how I was doing and the rest of the things that former neighbours ask. As she was talking she made the comment Oh I thought that you would be walking good by now. Now I am sure that she didn't mean it like it came across to me but I'm feeling kinda sensitive. <o:p></o:p>
After the call I'm all ruffled :hairpulling: in the feathers so I decided to take the off-handed remark as a positive motivator to go down the 15 stairs to watch TV with hubby. He even convinced me to make supper (French Toast). I "protested vehemently" :wink2: but relented and I was pleasantly surprised that I could do that simple stuff. He helped (set the table) and it was nice to have normal for the evening. I do know that he didn't leave the area (I figured to keep an eye out so I wouldn't overdo it.) <o:p></o:p>
I am thinking of taking the chance to go for a drive with hubby when he goes to the accountant (we have exciting lives). I am going to check the forum to see if I need to be aware of anything and who knows….<o:p></o:p>
Funny thing about what we (as a group) are doing. We would never have met in any stretch of the imagination. Take Josephine for example she has been doing this for years. Dedication is not the word to use to describe someone who virtually guides us through some of the most difficult periods in our lives. And to top that off we have all the members who share those moments with strangers all over the world; the world that has shrunk to a neighbourhood by virtue of the internet. We get to know each other and that is an amazing thing. I didn't realize how important BS has become to my little corner of the world. I get to see how my neighbours are doing over the fence. If you can recall the first thing that I do when I am up in the wee hours of the morning is to check if anyone else is up. Well there is always someone up. That makes it like the small town where I grew up and hopefully the feeling my sons experienced in the smaller town where they grew up. Everyone knew each other, we kept an eye out for each other and if someone was up in the wee hours of the morning we could drop in and have coffee. It's a neat feeling…. :grouphug2:
Take Care Everyone<o:p></o:p>
4:11 am

BTW
It took me 7 hours but I finally did get meds perscribed. :dancy:<o:p></o:p>

Carol,

I think we all get some of those weird, unrealistic questions. I get them all the time. And frankly, before I started researching my own THR I knew precious little about how this all works and how big a surgery it is. I've calmly said to some well meaing folks ... "you know they chopped off the top of my leg bone, right?" I don't get into femoral heads and prostheses..just keep it simple. I've even talked to other doctors (not surgeons) who seemed quite unaware of how the whole thing works.

Personally, I think that going for unnecessary drives after a week is asking for trouble...or at least extra discomfort. When you are riding in a car you don't have a lot of choices on how to be comfortable. The worst would be if you had a quick stop and suddenly slid in your seat and seatbelt...not good.

And you are right...sleeping should be better...and it will be. That is one of the things that we need to look forward to. The sleep will come...but not right away....sorry.

Have a great day. Sounds like you are doing awesome,

Z

Carol,

I think we all get some of those weird, unrealistic questions. I get them all the time. And frankly, before I started researching my own THR I knew precious little about how this all works and how big a surgery it is. I've calmly said to some well meaing folks ... "you know they chopped off the top of my leg bone, right?" ...just keep it simple.
I like that one...thanks for the nifty reply. :th_heehee:
Personally, I think that going for unnecessary drives after a week is asking for trouble...or at least extra discomfort. When you are riding in a car you don't have a lot of choices on how to be comfortable. The worst would be if you had a quick stop and suddenly slid in your seat and seatbelt...not good.
Nuts!
You sure have a way of spoiling all my fun! Thanks for watching my back.
But you are
right :DOH:I think I am still reacting to the remark. I forget that I just had the top of my leg lopped off and drop into a bucket. It's the cabin fever speaking.
And you are right...sleeping should be better...and it will be. That is one of the things that we need to look forward to. The sleep will come...but not right away....sorry.
I'm holding you to that.

Z

Thanks

Hi Carol,
I know my Mom's first question today when I call, will be "Did you go skiing?". And for the umteenth time I will tell her not until next season. At least she thinks I can go skiing, even if I can't right now.
Sleep elusive sleep, I started going to bed at 9 or earlier after surgery, now I am still tired at 9, sleep all night, and am up between 4 and 5. So it does get better, but still some adjusting to do. BTW this took about 5 months to get to this point.
Rides are fun, but you may want to wait. Enjoy your peace and quiet at home.
I do like the image of dumping the ends in a bucket, kinda gruesome, may make them sorry they asked.:th_heehee:
As always, hope you get some :sleep:.

Hi Carol-Wow you sure had a rough go at it but Im glad it seems to be getting better!

I would take in consideration how far this drive would be, round trip. I know that cabin fever feeling and it can be such a downer.

I rode to my mother in law's home for a dinner(not even 2 weeks post op, in a SUV), about a 20 min round trip, somewhat tiring but wonderful to get out. It was a little rough riding but for me it was worth the emotional boost.

Hi Carol,
Am enjoying your posts, especially your sense of humor as we all need a good laugh. The sleep thing takes some time but will come. I used to be up at all hours and rearranged cupboards, drawers, closets...then nap whenever you can during the day, you need all the rest you can get.

And yes, this forum is the BEST! I have researched and found others online but nothing compares to Bonesmart, the support, information and encouragement is second to none. Have a nice relaxing day. Take care.

My wife and I can sympathize. About day 2 or 3 we each were depressed, crying and in pain, just wandering around on our walkers crying because you couldn't do anything else.
My hospital stay was pure hell, I had major leg cramps and chills and had no way to fix them.

Carol-I am not sure how I missed this but I am so sorry I am just now reading about your experience. I am so angry for you--the incompetence of the hospital staff is beyond inexcusable! :hissyfit: I echo the thoughts of the others: when you get a little better, please make sure that the administration knows about how you've been treated and extends you an apology at the very least.

I am also sorry to hear that your hubby is not supporting you as well as he could be. I feel very lucky to have had that and can't imagine how I would have dealt with things without my family's support. I hope that your husband really is able, with your help, to be the support system that you need to get through this rough time. (Ahem Mr. Nad Rocker, you CAN order takeout from a nice restaurant!!!)

As for that woman who said: "I thought you'd be walking right now.." <taking deep breath> If I posted what I really would have said, Jo and Jamie would ban me from the forum! :th_heehee: Just know that you're allowed to say snarky things--especially because you can blame them on the drugs! LOL

Thank you again for your positivity and wonderful sense of humor. You have been that way since before the surgery and are that way now--in spite of these challenges. Your BS family is here for you--I'm so glad that you are moving back toward healing, even if that path isn't as straightforward as you thought it would be.

Oh man, your post brought back some major frustration! Why do people think you just dance out of hospital after a major op? :hairpulling: Just plain stupid and it drove me nuts!

Like your reply John - need to remember that.

Glad you got your meds Carol. You might want to get a package of gel ice pads. You can keep one or two in the freezer while you are using the others. That way you won't run out of ice.

Take care - you are doing great!

Attachments

• gel packs.jpg
    gel packs.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 162
My wife and I can sympathize. About day 2 or 3 we each were depressed, crying and in pain, just wandering around on our walkers crying because you couldn't do anything else.
My hospital stay was pure hell, I had major leg cramps and chills and had no way to fix them.

You know I don't get freezing in a hospital. I must admit I was annoying about that one. I had them running every 15 minutes for warm blankets until they ran out and then I suggested that there were other wards. I just told them keep them coming until I tell you to stop or get me a warming blanket from surgery---I NOT FREEZE IN A HOSPITAL. Darn it anyways, it's such a simple thing to do. Ice the incision warm the body and soul. :hissyfit:

I think that some people are under the impression that a hip replacement is like changing the tire on a car. Just pop in a new part and everything works perfectly again. If you think about it, no one would ask a person who broke their leg a week ago if they were up and about now.

Carol, it sounds like you are doing much better :thumb:. I'm glad to see that you finally got your medication. As for the sleeping, as others have mentioned it is going to take a while for that to normalize. Are you getting in naps during the day? In the beginning I let myself nap whenever I felt like it, no matter the time and no matter how often.

I had them running every 15 minutes for warm blankets until they ran out
Don't know if this is good time to mention this but on my hospital bill they billed me $2900 for 6 warm blankets, that works out to $483 each.

As I was leaving, I noticed the bed had a heated mattress pad, no one knew about it to turn it on.:hissyfit:

Hi Carol,
You are sounding happier. Early days are so difficult with lots of ups and downs and you have already had more than your share of the downs. I went to a gym class for hip patients a little while back. I was the youngest there but I was by far the least able. I couldn't even get the pedals on the bicycle to go around, the brain to muscle connection just wasn't working. YIPES!!:hissyfit:
With hard work I am getting there but I felt so down after that session. Well during it too really- I sat on the bike and cried !:blush:It is really hard when you start feeling it should all be happening more quickly. I think a lot of the time people are commenting out of sympathy- it just doesn't feel like that as it fuels fears that we already have. Will I ever get better and when !!!

Four months on I still have the occasional cup of tea and dose of midnight tv. but I do feel mostly I am having nearly enough sleep. Being able to sleep on my side now and again helps as I have always been a toss and turn kind of person and lying still on my back was not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Our relationship really struggled early days. He threw himself into organising the kids, looking after the house and cooking, all of which he did really well. Looking back now I can appreciate more what he did. At the time I was scared and lonely and in need of TLC and he didn't have the energy left to chat in the relaxed and friendly way I wanted him to. I was desperate for reassurance but he was exhausted. Feelings can then spiral. I now know that he was doing his best. As time has gone on and I can help out more he did relax more and a degree of normality has returned. Some of the routines that he established with the kids have stayed, so there have been long term benefits. Its a difficult journey for both partners. Maybe partners of hippies need their own website to unload on to. :cry::hairpulling::hissyfit::hysterical:

Hope things continue to improve
Gizmo

Hi Carol and Gizmo,

Isn't it so true that unless you have been through this you just don't know and I believe even though we have caring people in our lives who love us they just don't get it. That is why his forum is so awesome, you can get support and caring, understanding, advice, etc. day or night, whenever you need it. We are lucky to have it. Take care.

Hello Carol,

Glad you got the Meds sorted out that will help. Yummy the French toast sounds delicious :). Personally I would stay home and not ride in the car, for some reason the car always made me nervous Z makes some good points, why risk things!

Happy healing!

xxxooxx

Don't know if this is good time to mention this but on my hospital bill they billed me $2900 for 6 warm blankets, that works out to $483 each.

As I was leaving, I noticed the bed had a heated mattress pad, no one knew about it to turn it on.:hissyfit:

Omigoodness I suppose I cannot complain as in Canada we just have beavers lay on our blankets and then pass them to the patients.

They work for lesser wages:th_heehee:

I am a bit nervous about my appointment with the OS on Friday for staple removal. Recalling that he was the one who did not give me a perscription for pain management when I was discharged from the hospital am I going to be facing a struggle for maintenance (wrong word) meds. I can see that the pain is different every day but I am still on morphine and percocet for the breakthrough. Darn if I only was psychic. :what:

Its a difficult journey for both partners. Maybe partners of hippies need their own website to unload on to. :cry::hairpulling::hissyfit::hysterical:

Couldn't agree with you more Gizmo!

Carol, I got so cold just post op they could find a pulse. Teeth were chattering so hard it hurt. They put me in this big heated tube - think it's called a Huggie Bear. A huge thing at the end of the bed blew warm air into the unit. The nurses kept coming in and checking. They said it felt like a sauna in there. It took over 3 hours to get me back to a normal temp. Scary - very scary.

Take care Carol!

Omigoodness I suppose I cannot complain as in Canada we just have beavers lay on our blankets and then pass them to the patients.

:rofllol:

I think it is wonderful that you work so closely with the wildlife up there...truly admirable. And I heard that for ice they simply put curling stones on the patients in between matches...another cost effective and energy efficient approach.

Z

John, if I were prevented from using those heated pads because of staff ignorance, I would ring up and complain about being charged for them! Sheesh! :DOH:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties