THR Marty's Recovery

martyo

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip replaced 1/14/2019. I was off pain meds within 2 weeks and was able to walk without a cane etc. Last Friday after a challenging PT I was feeling a little sore. On Saturday I did some PT at home and by that afternoon, I was in pain for the 1st time in almost 3 weeks. Went to my ortho DR on Monday and had X-rays that the DR said looked great. Also I failed to mention I've already had my other hip replaced in 2011 and both knees replaced in 2016 and 2017 so I'm sort of a veteran of replacement surgeries. It's Thursday now and I'm still in pain with no PT. I'm icing and resting. I have no pain when lying, sitting only when walking. The pain is in my Glutes, thigh and knee. I feel is a muscle issue rather than bone as movement when not standing is non-existence. My Dr has started me on a 6 day treatment of Methyl Predinsone. We'll see how it works. This forum is awesome. I've used it for reference for my past 3 surgeries but this is my 1st post. Thanks Marty

Welcome to BoneSmart, Marty. Thanks for joining us!
Congratulations on you new hip. It sounds as though you may have overdone it with the PT.
You've entered what we refer to here as the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Continue to ice, rest and please read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines below -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Stop back often. We'd love to follow your recovery journey and support you along the way.
Wishing you comfort.

Please leave the exact dates of your previous surgeries and which side, Left or Right. The info will be applied as your signature. Thanks!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @martyo

I'm no Dr., but I have had my hip replaced and I've rung the overdid it bell. I'd say a week or so in the icing chair and you'll be past this. I'd say you overchallenged your muscles doing PT.

Last Friday after a challenging PT I was feeling a little sore. On Saturday I did some PT at home and by that afternoon, I was in pain for the 1st time in almost 3 weeks.
I've overdone it with too much activity, and the ODIC is no fun.:sad:
I learned my limitations the hard way also.:sigh:

It's Thursday now and I'm still in pain with no PT.
Unfortunately, it can take time to un-do the overdid.
I think you should stay the course...lots of:ice: , rest, and easy does it short walks. And No PT.
My guess that this will put you back on track .

Still in a lot of pain when walking. I've noticed that since last week when I walk, my thigh with the affected knee seems more angled inward than the unaffected leg. This seems to be the source of my pain. I found an interesting article regarding this. https://bottomlineinc.com/blogs/pain-relief-in-motion/knee-pain-may-be-hip-problem. I have an appointment with my orthopedic DR today and will discuss this with him. Any thoughts?

Hello :wave: Happy Friday to you!
Interesting article. I'm curious what your OS's opinion on PT is and whether he determines you may have over did it with the Physical Therapy. Let us know how your appointment goes, if you feel like sharing.
I hope you have a good visit, get the answers you're seeking and find relief soon.
@martyo

I read some of the article and if you search this forum you'll see that most of us have had thigh pain and knee pain. If you look at the muscle groups that are effected in the hip area you'll see what runs through your thigh and down to your knee. I experienced similar pains and did self evaluation to determine if it was tissue or replacement joint related. Every time it would be tissue and the only thing that makes it heal is inactivity and the only relief is ice. Sure enough a couple of days, sometimes longer depending on the severity of the overdo, all would be fine again.

UPDATE- I put a hinged leg brace on my knee and now the hip and knee pain I was experiencing has diminished about 90%. I will update when I get back from my ortho DR.

Just got home from the ortho DR. As I thought the main problems I'm having are caused by weak quads and glutes. This accounts for the weakness in my knee. My operative leg is noticeably thinner than my other leg in the area of the quads. They XRAYED my pelvis to make sure everything was ok. DR wants be to do very light PT to help strengthen my quads. Pain has diminished some today.

Good news that the Xray looked fine---that's always a worry, isn't it, when we have pain following surgery? it was for me.

Hopefully lots of rest and ice will also help settle things down. My doctor said that the best thing to strengthen all muscles once I got past the first few days, was walking,climbing stairs when I was able to pain free, and resuming daily activities. I was surprised by this---even went online to look at all of the various muscle groups, and sure enough------those basic activities had me using them all. So if PT is uncomfortable, just know that you can back off and rest up too:)

Last edited:
I agree with Debru that normal activity IS light PT.
Injured muscles are weak because they are injured and often just need time.
Time does heal.
Then, we can work on strengthening.
Try what you feel you need to...and if it is aggravating things...ease off.
You know your body better than anyone.
Hope your weekend is restful.:ice:

It's good to know that all looked good on your x-ray and great that your pain has diminished.
Please take it slow and keep the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines in mind -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

A great rest of the weekend to you!
@martyo

Update-Still in pain when walking. Just curious how long it took for most people to feel better after overdoing it? It's been a little over a week and still experiencing pain.

Hi @martyo
It can take weeks sometimes to feel like your back on track although I'm not sure exactly what is causing your pain..maybe tendinitis?
There's a cute video in our library
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tendinitis-an-explanation.51325/

Now my quads hurt for the first few months so when engaged in walking they were very sore. Stayed very tender for some months more but became what I describe as discomfort more than pain.
Hope you are still a prolific icer.:ice:

The patience muscle gets rather tired of all this hurry up and wait.
Wishing you comfort and hope all gets better very soon.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the pain you last posted about is easing. Let us know how you're doing, we care.
A great Friday and weekend to you! :SUNsmile:
@martyo

Marty's UPDATE- I haven't posted in the past few weeks as not much has changed.

I had an appointment with my OS yesterday and he feels I have Trochanteric Bursitis. He gave me an injection and said I should feel some relief in 2 or 3 days. None thus far.

He also scheduled me for an MRI on my back as he feels part of my problems are back related. I injured my back 40 years ago on the same side as I just had the THR and was in traction for 2 weeks. I never had back surgery and it healed in time although have had some sciatic discomfort over the years. We'll see what the MRI shows.

I'm feeling extreme frustration as I never had problems with my THR or either of my knee replacements. I never expected this. Still can't walk without a cane, only minor pain when sitting or lying down. The pain is weight bearing related. I'm worn out trying to figure it out.

Icing 40 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. No PT at this time.

Hi @martyo
I really hate you are struggling and sound very discouraged!
I am going to tag @Josephine to see if she has any insight.
The pain is weight bearing related
Doesn't feel muscular in nature?

Sending the best mojo your way:console2:

Hi @martyo
I'm sorry to read this. I sense your frustration and I can understand why you'd feel the way you do.
I hope the injection kicks in, bringing you some relief. Experiencing pain while weight bearing is not only limiting but draining I'm sure. I hope Josephine has some advice for you. I'll look forward to her response.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

Thanks Layla and Mojo for the replies.

The pain I'm experiencing is in my thigh along the outer edge. It starts where the Dr gave me the injection for the Trocanteric Burstis and runs down the leg to the outer edge of my thigh right above the knee. I have attached a photo.

When I try to walk without my cane my knee and therefore my ankle curves inward towards my other leg. This started at 6 weeks post op. Up until then I was walking without a cane with no pain.

Please ignore the scar on the knee that's from a knee replacement 2 years ago.

martyo.jpg

Hi again,
I'll tag the resident expert @Josephine to weigh in on your pain.
I've tagged her for you so check back periodically in case she has questions.
I will look forward to her response.
@martyo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads