BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Martial Arts Post TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Tkdbob, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Tkdbob

Tkdbob new member

United States United States
    I have had total hip and shoulder replacements both sides for both. I have been able to do anything I want such as jogging, weight lifting, taekwondo, etc. I am now getting to the point where my left knee is bone on bone arthritis and my right knee is close behind. My question is, are there any martial artists participating on this forum? I would like to hear about your experience with knee replacements and kicking. I’m 65 years old and use to intense workouts so I need to know how knees hold up, my shoulders and hips are great.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Tkdbob - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your hip and shoulder replacements and which joint was replaced each time, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It is possible to return to full activity after a knee replacement, but doing martial arts may not be the wisest choice. It probably depends on how long you want the replacement to last and how many surgeries you want to undergo.

While you've recovered successfully from four joint replacements, recovery from a knee replacement is harder and it takes longer. Complete recovery of all your tissues after a knee replacement will take at least one full year.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome to BoneSmart!
    Not to my knowledge, I'm afraid.

4. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Congratulations on your hips and knees that are successfully letting you enjoy the sports you want to participate in. As the folks have said above, knee replacements can be a bit tougher than hips or shoulders, so be prepared to spend more time with your recovery.

Have you discussed the resumption of these activities with your knee surgeon? I'd be interested to know what he has to say about it.

You might enjoy reading our BoneSmart Spotlight article about one of our members who had his knees replaced and went back to full court basketball after recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tkdbob

Tkdbob new member

Thanks for the reply, I haven’t discussed my plans with my surgeon but he is the same one that did my hips. To be honest even if he strongly recommends against martial arts training I’ll do it anyway but I think it’s unlikely he would take that position. I think he would say don’t go overboard unless I’m prepared for revision surgery at some point.

Bob

6. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Bob, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do pretty much whatever you want to do after you've given your knees a chance to heal. Usually about a year. You'll probably feel up to doing basic martial arts moves before then, but the more aggressive parts of the practice should be added gradually as you feel ready. After about six months you'll probably feel comfortable easing into your preferred activities. Go slow, and always listen to your body. It will tell you.

I'm not a martial artist, but that's how I've added in everything I wanted to do after my surgeries. My surgeon at one point didn't recommend I take the stairs two at a time, for instance, and I laughed at him, but just for grins, I tried it a couple weeks ago. Yep. I could do it if I wanted to now.

7. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 member

This is just my 2 cents, as I'm not into martial arts myself--- My husband runs his own TKD school and knows one of the fellow TKD Masters in our area fairly well. This Master had knee replacement surgery on only one knee about 4 yrs ago. He's now trying to sell his school, as he can't teach/demonstrate very well at all anymore, and he's feeling his age. It's been rather upsetting for him. He's late 50's/early 60's, though I don't know his exact age. I'm sure this would be an individual experience for each person though. Best of luck to you. It would kill my husband to give up TKD, as it's a passion for him.