BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Marie62 recovery.... encouragement?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Marie62, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Marie62

Marie62 new member

United States United States
    Hi everybody - Have enjoyed reading all the stories - it really helps! One week ago today, I had an anterior total hip replacement. I had no idea it would be this much of a struggle! The surgery only took an hour. I was scheduled for surgery at 7am last Friday and was home by noon. I felt pretty good until Monday afternoon, then things quickly went downhill. The pain is mostly under control with Tylenol, but I have felt very unwell. Less than no appetite, light headed, exhaustion. I have been force feeding myself because I know I need to eat. Yesterday (Thursday afternoon/Day 7 post-op), I began feeling a tiny bit better, was able to eat a small dinner fairly easily. I slept pretty well last night. When I got up I was feeling still somewhat better, had a piece of toast for breakfast, took a shower late morning. In the shower, I got very lightheaded, quickly got out and laid down. It passed but now I am back to feeling unwell again. I'm using a walker around the house. I guess I'm looking for some encouragement from someone who has been down this road.

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi Marie,
    Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. I'm really sorry you're off to such a rough start. Surgery at 7:00 and home by noon is record time. I'm surprised they didn't keep you a bit longer. But you survived and that's all that matters.

Please consider contacting the office of your OS for more effective pain management if you feel the need. Low BP and lightheadness is commonly discussed here. I hope you're not alone while you're feeling like this. If you are, is it possible to have a family member, friend, or neighbor check in on you daily until you're feeling a bit stronger? Do your best to stay hydrated and eat small meals if you're able. A little protein would be beneficial.
    Possibly you could sip on a healthy Smoothie for some nutrition...

It is normal to feel exhausted. Your body has experienced a "controlled" trauma and your energy is going first for that repair and not leaving you a lot of extra energy for much else. Sleep is a great healer as is ice for pain relief and swelling.

I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines below. Please read through the articles if you're able to absorb the info. If you're unable, hopefully someone who's helping you out will look through them to have a better understanding of your feelings and needs.

Stop back anytime with questions. We'll be here to offer support as you continue the journey. I'm gathering your surgery was on September 6th. If you'd please leave below which hip was replaced...the info will be applied as your signature.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Marie62

3. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and hope you are starting to feel better. I stayed in hospital 3 days and needed all three to stop feeling light headed! Even when I got home, finally having a shower and getting dressed took a lot of effort. I had to sit down half way through getting dressed and blow drying my hair every time I did it for at least a week. Your body just went through a huge trauma and needs every bit of energy to heal. I agree with Layla (as always) to try smoothies or soup or something like that. I craved a vitamin A, C and E fruit juice drink. Good luck to you and do call your OS office for advice. Take care, rest. :thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1