TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

Sadly we had to have the bath taken out. However, recovering from this latest TKR, just having a walk in shower has been great. It really had been a worrying palaver trying to manage before that by balancing on a bath board etc.
I noticed what was said about the likelihood that people who didn't have problems not posting. I have now had both knees replaced The first time wasn't great. However, in time it was OK and I apprehensively approached my second one. Well its been unbelievably different and sooooo much better. I was confident enough to refuse all opiates, tell PT exactly what I wasn't going to do, and set about my rehab myself. Main points:
Paracetamol only.
Look on sleeping as a 24 hour matter ie if the naps add up to about 7 hours out of 24 that's fine. Doesn't matter when they happen.
Absolutely no forcing on knee by anyone. Keep moving. Even if it's just about the house, don't sit for longer than an hour at a time or less.
Eat a good mixed diet and drink lots of water.
Well that's what has helped me. Good luck.

The only way I could get out of the tub was turning onto my hands and knees and getting up from there.
I have to roll over on my knees but can't put weight on my operated knee so I put one hand on the side of the tub and the other in front of me in the bath, to take the weight of my knee. Then I push up with both hands and pull my feet up under me. Not always the most graceful maneuver but it works.

Last edited:
I have to say these past couple of weeks have been somewhat better. My mood continues to improve and various issues with my hip and knee seem to be a bit better also. I still get some stiffness and swelling but minimal pain and rarely have to use pain meds except when I overdo it. Still not great on stairs but I'm sure that will come in time. A neighbour came by yesterday. She was telling me her mom had TKR and after two years, she is doing everything she wants with no problems. I found that to be very encouraging and I can actually start to believe it for myself. Fingers crossed!

Believe it! You'll probably find that out sooner than you think.

I have to say these past couple of weeks have been somewhat better. My mood continues to improve and various issues with my hip and knee seem to be a bit better also. I still get some stiffness and swelling but minimal pain and rarely have to use pain meds except when I overdo it. Still not great on stairs but I'm sure that will come in time. A neighbour came by yesterday. She was telling me her mom had TKR and after two years, she is doing everything she wants with no problems. I found that to be very encouraging and I can actually start to believe it for myself. Fingers crossed!
I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Your post sounds much more positive and that's great! :yay: :happydance:

I think you're over the worst now and you can look forward to slow and steady improvement from now on.

It is wonderful to hear how much better you're feeling! You will be such a help to those who find themselves where you used to be. They'll see that they, too, will get better!

Another milestone was passed today. Up until today, I have found going up the stairs difficult, going up one foot at a time and with the support of both hands on the handrails. Today, while in a hurry to leave the house, I took a "quick run" up the stairs, having forgotten about my knee, only to be surprised that I went up normally with little support on the way up. That I went up normally is achievement enough; but that I totally forgot about my knee is even more impressive. I wasn't quite as cheeky the second time around. I guess once a day is enough for now.

It's a great moment! Going downstairs is another matter sadly.

Great news about the stairs - and for forgetting about your knee! :yes!: :spin: :flwrysmile:

Yay! Up the stairs and not thinking about your knee! Now, that's progress!

Wow well done you give me hope about the future.
So chuffed you sound more positive and thank you for posting on my thread I appreciate your uplifting comments. :yes!:

That's great! I hope I can do that too soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Had a six month follow up with SO today. He was able to answer all my questions.
Yes I can kneel. It will be uncomfortable, a matter of conditioning, but will not hurt the implant. Same answer for breast stroke while swimming.
The cracking in my hip is actually in my knee, and normal. What I'm feeling is the reverberation through my femur. I found that one odd but will give him the benefit of the doubt.
When I suggested that PT and exercise had not been helpful, he tried to educate me about the window of oportunity, in the first three months, to improve ROM. My sersponse... "ah! That's interesting."
And finally, my ROM is 110, the same as it was pre-surgery. Next check at one year if I feel I need it. All-inn-all,, not a bad day.

It sounds as if you had a good visit with your surgeon. :flwrysmile:

I love your response to him about the "window of opportunity".

Continuing to see some improvements. Intentionally using my knee to go upstairs more frequently. It’s uncomfortable but tolerable most of the time. Also trying to go downstairs once in a while. That is a little more challenging. The surgeon said that kneeling was a process of “habituation”. Well, I am working on habituating my knee by putting increasing weight on it when getting out of the bath. What a weird sensation! Mood continues to improve. I think life is getting better.

That all sounds great @Marguette! It's just a matter of getting on with life.
I can easily do going up stairs. Going down is another matter unless they are shallow steps. I still think 'up to heaven, down to hell' when faced with steps!

@Marguette hi matey I am so chuffed you are feeling more positive. I must admit to being slightly envious about you being able to get in and out of the bath. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and it was lush but getting out was awful. Not had the nerve to try it again. Whilst in there I realised my leg was not as straight as I’d thought either.
Thank you for posting encouraging comments in my thread you always cheer me up. :console2:

Well, this weekend has been a challenge, not because of the knee ~ there was hardly time to think about that with all that was going on. Our city, Ottawa, was hit by an unprecedented weather event. Two tornados hit the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau on Friday. It did a lot of damage and left people without power all weekend. Not all restored yet and may not be for several days. It was amazing to see the community pull together. We are not out of the woods yet. Many have lost their homes and businesses; 66 injured, some in critical condition. At a time like this, all we can do is be thankful for what we have ~ each other. Thank you Bonesmart Community for being there to support one another.

Sounds awful @Marguette. Puts things like stiff knees in perspective. Thinking of you and yours while you set to restoring what can be restored.

I’m sorry to hear about your community and glad you are ok. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks